Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Almost able to set up library, but ..

I'm almost completely able to set up the Library screen on my Cybook Gen 3 with mobi2mobi and Mobipocket reader as I want, but there is one book which has defeated me.

The book is 'The Spirit Ring' available as Bujold-Spirit-Ring-mo.prc from Fictionwise.

I produced the file The_Spirit_Ring.mobi from the original file with mobi2mobi, and entered the Title as The Spirit Ring and the Author as Lois McMaster Bujold. The title and author are what I want when I check the output page of mobi2mobi.

When I read this file with Mobipocket Reader on my computer I see the title and author as entered, and can also see the book cover.

But after I sent The_Spirit_Ring.mobi to the SD Card on my Cybook I see the title as expected. But I don't see any author at all, not even a blank line. The date the file was sent appears directly after the title. And I can't see the book cover; it's just a blank apart from part of the title.

I don't think the problem is with Fictionwise books because I have some other books from them and have been able to set title and author with no problem - though the other books have not had the mo.prc suffix.

Is there something I've missed? How can I overcome the missing author field problem?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It might be a bug in the current (0.0.38) release of the mobipocket tools, or it might be a problem with the CyBook. The only way to tell is to look at the converted file and see if everything is correct in the header structures.

If you send me your hacked copy of the book (no need to include the PID - I don't need to read the book to examine the file structure) I'll take a quick look, as I have some tools to make that easier than just looking at the raw file data.

paul@durrant.co.uk

regards,

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'm almost completely able to set up the Library screen on my Cybook Gen 3 with mobi2mobi and Mobipocket reader as I want, but there is one book which has defeated me.

The book is 'The Spirit Ring' available as Bujold-Spirit-Ring-mo.prc from Fictionwise.

I produced the file The_Spirit_Ring.mobi from the original file with mobi2mobi, and entered the Title as The Spirit Ring and the Author as Lois McMaster Bujold. The title and author are what I want when I check the output page of mobi2mobi.

When I read this file with Mobipocket Reader on my computer I see the title and author as entered, and can also see the book cover.

But after I sent The_Spirit_Ring.mobi to the SD Card on my Cybook I see the title as expected. But I don't see any author at all, not even a blank line. The date the file was sent appears directly after the title. And I can't see the book cover; it's just a blank apart from part of the title.

I don't think the problem is with Fictionwise books because I have some other books from them and have been able to set title and author with no problem - though the other books have not had the mo.prc suffix.

Is there something I've missed? How can I overcome the missing author field problem?

Regards, Alex
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It might be a bug in the current (0.0.38) release of the mobipocket tools, or it might be a problem with the CyBook. The only way to tell is to look at the converted file and see if everything is correct in the header structures.

If you send me your hacked copy of the book (no need to include the PID - I don't need to read the book to examine the file structure) I'll take a quick look, as I have some tools to make that easier than just looking at the raw file data.

paul@durrant.co.uk

regards,

Paul
Many thanks, Paul. I really appreciate your generous offer. It's on its way by email.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've taken a look at the file. It's a bug in mobi2mobi, in that when mobi2mobi adds an EXTH header, it doesn't increment the mobipocket version number. The CyBook looks at the mobipocket version number and then doesn't bother looking for the EXTH info that mobi2mobi added, since EXTH shouldn't be present in version 2 mobipocket files.

I thought I'd fixed this with my tweaks to mobi2mobi, but it seems not. When I have a space hour or two I'll check in the debugger.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Many thanks, Paul. I really appreciate your generous offer. It's on its way by email.

Regards, Alex
Old 08-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Alex sent me the orginal file as well. It turns out that my tweaks to mobi2mobi do fix this problem, when run on the original file.

Paul

Quote:
I've taken a look at the file. It's a bug in mobi2mobi, in that when mobi2mobi adds an EXTH header, it doesn't increment the mobipocket version number. The CyBook looks at the mobipocket version number and then doesn't bother looking for the EXTH info that mobi2mobi added, since EXTH shouldn't be present in version 2 mobipocket files.

I thought I'd fixed this with my tweaks to mobi2mobi, but it seems not. When I have a space hour or two I'll check in the debugger.

Paul
Old 08-01-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Which version are you talking about? The one in the first header? I just checked some books done by Mobipocket Creator and using EXTH and they had version 0.

Or do you mean the MOBIHEADER version number? But 2 there meant compressed only.

And if the wrong version is used why is nearly all books working?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I mean the Mobipocket version stored at offset 36 in Record 0, just before the 40 bytes of 0xFF.

There also something that might be a version number of some kind at offset 104, but I haven't played with that.

The file with the 4 byte int at offset 36 set to '2' displays only the book title on a CyBook Gen3. Change a single byte to make the 4 byte int at offset 36 be '4' and the CyBook Gen3 recognises the authors name.

I've sent a private message with extra changes that I obviously made after posting my first set of changes to the Perl scripts.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Which version are you talking about? The one in the first header? I just checked some books done by Mobipocket Creator and using EXTH and they had version 0.

Or do you mean the MOBIHEADER version number? But 2 there meant compressed only.

And if the wrong version is used why is nearly all books working?

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-08-2008 at 05:06 AM.