Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Recommend me an audiobook

I never used these, so I'm bit apprehensive about them, but I like to try new things so here is a task for any willing to make a recommendation.

I would prefer a shorter book, in the case I won't like it.
Genre wise, please make it either a fantasy, sci-fi or classic. No romance or YA please.

Additional note: if the author is British, I would like the voice actor to be British.

Thank you.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I never used these, so I'm bit apprehensive about them, but I like to try new things so here is a task for any willing to make a recommendation.

I would prefer a shorter book, in the case I won't like it.
Genre wise, please make it either a fantasy, sci-fi or classic. No romance or YA please.

Additional note: if the author is British, I would like the voice actor to be British.

Thank you.
The "full cast" audiobook version of "Ender's Game" is excellent. I'm sure you'd enjoy that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein -not so short (14 hrs), but it seems to short. You can't wait to find out what is next.

For a truely short check out Brandon Sanderson's Legion- just over 2 hrs or George Martin's With Morning Comes the Mistfall also just over 2hrs.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
David Drake's FAR SIDE OF THE STARS is available in MP3 form for free on the promo CD at Fifth Empire.
If you sign up for the free 30 day trial at audible you can get a free book or two and plenty of samples. David Weber's A BEAUTIFUL FRIENDSHIP is a nice listen.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I never used these, so I'm bit apprehensive about them...
Don't give up immediately if you find the initial experience less than satisfactory. It took me a while (in the beginning) to adapt to 'listening' rather than reading.

I'm so glad I persevered as I'm now a huge fan of audiobooks.

(Or...you may take to it right away, in which case disregard the above )
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Weber & Ringo's "March Upcountry".
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Dauntless book 1 of the Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell

This is the series I recommend to anyone who hasn't listened to a book before.
It's very entertaining, easy to listen to and a great series that is available through Overdrive at a lot of libraries.

I'll second David Drake too, anything he writes is a good listen.

Graphic Audio's sig is "a movie in your mind"!!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Graphic audio is awesome but expensive and it is like the original radio dramas.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
How old are you? If you're old enough to have at least vague recollections of the 1980's, I would recommend 'Ready Player One'. It's set in the future, but has lots of 1980's video game trivia. It is light, fast, fun with a lot of humor and would be a good choice as a first experience of an audiobook. Plus it is narrated by Wil Wheaton, who is one of my favorite narrators as he infuses his characters with a sense life and enthusiasm few other narrators can match.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #10
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
One thing to watch out for is that many audiobooks are abridged (shortened). Don't know why this is done (it's never done in Sweden) but can be good to know. Otherwise, why not go check out what they have at your local library? That way no financial loss if you don't like it :-) There is also the audiobook version of Project Gutenberg, LibriVox http://librivox.org/ The book have been read in either collaboration or solo. Go to the catalog and "More Search options" and you can choose language and if it's been read solo.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
There is also the audiobook version of Project Gutenberg, LibriVox http://librivox.org/ The book have been read in either collaboration or solo. Go to the catalog and "More Search options" and you can choose language and if it's been read solo.
Project Gutenberg and Internet Archive also have their own audiobook projects; though they both rely heavily upon LibriVox for material.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #12
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Don't give up immediately if you find the initial experience less than satisfactory.
Absolutely! Especially if you come across some of the more.. Difficult ones (The Stand I'm looking at you!).

Couldnt live without audiobooks..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
How old are you? If you're old enough to have at least vague recollections of the 1980's, I would recommend 'Ready Player One'. It's set in the future, but has lots of 1980's video game trivia. It is light, fast, fun with a lot of humor and would be a good choice as a first experience of an audiobook. Plus it is narrated by Wil Wheaton, who is one of my favorite narrators as he infuses his characters with a sense life and enthusiasm few other narrators can match.

Duane
I am still trying to forget the '80s.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'll add. Listen to sample audio first to check out the narration for your chosen book(s). What one person might find a gem, you might find sounds like nails on a chalkboard.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Well I followed HarryT advice and I treated myself to Ender's Game. I wanted to read that one for a while so it's a win win situation.

I really like the reading and the narration. The book is really nice too.
I have one problem though. My concentration tends to drift away from time to time so all I get is " bla bla bla and bla bla bla. He was bla bla bla.." And so on.. I have to go back and listen again to that part.
This never happened with normal books.

So far not bad anyway, I think I will keep using audiobooks. Maybe not so often, but yeah from time to time...
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote