Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Deleting books from the reader through sony?

The day has finally arrived--- I have maxed out the number of books my reader can hold without benefit of a memory card.

So I wanted to delete some of the books from my reader, knowing they are still in existence at the sony estore and I can redownload them at some later date if I choose. In reading the instructions, it looks like I can only delete them by deleting the collection from the library on the computer I used to download the books in the first place.

Therein lies my problem. A few weeks after my husband downloaded these books for me, the software stopped working after he tried updating the software. Unlike me, my husband is actually pretty good with computers- he works with them for a living. He could not get it working again, so he redownloaded the elibrary on our laptop, and I've been happily using our laptop ever since.

THe trouble is that now I can't delete the books from my library because it's not the same computer that was used when those books were synced. I haven't found much help in "help" on the elibrary-- any idea how I can get those books off my library so I can delete them from my reader? I still want the copy at the ebookstore so I can redownload if I want to read them down the road. Would redownloading on this computer work? Or would that give me multiple copies?

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
So I wanted to delete some of the books from my reader, knowing they are still in existence at the sony estore and I can redownload them at some later date if I choose. In reading the instructions, it looks like I can only delete them by deleting the collection from the library on the computer I used to download the books in the first place.
No, that's not true at all. You are perfectly able to delete books from your reader. You don't even need to "redownload" them... if you keep them on your PC. Unless you consider "downloading" as moving them from your PC to your computer.

What software are you using to access your reader? You can delete books using that. You can also delete books using Windows Explorer.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Also, you can delete books directly from the reader itself. Just go to the utilities menu under the book you want to delete and choose the delete option. The reader should then tell you something like "push the mark key to delete"--this means the bookmark key.

Not the most efficient way to delete a lot of books, but I use it fairly often when I finish a book.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
In reading the instructions, it looks like I can only delete them by deleting the collection from the library on the computer I used to download the books in the first place.
That doesn't sound right unless you've set the Reader to automatically sync your Library to the Reader? Normally, you'd just connect the Reader, browse to it, select the books on the Reader & delete them, leaving the ones in the Library (on the PC) there to be re-copied when you want to later re-read them. (If from Sony, they're also re-downloadable, but that's immaterial here.)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can also just delete book files from the USB storage using a file manager such as Explorer.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Thanks for all the advice. I'm still trying to sort it out a bit... I can't figure out how to use Explorer to delete the books from the reader that were downloaded from sony bookstore (the names I see in explorer do not reflect the names of the books? I can see the ones I moved over from ADE as titles).

I did end up deleted several via the book, thanks for that info dordale! I also *think* I changed the connect software to *not* sync automatically. When my husband installed it, it automatically set it up to sync and I didn't realize you could choose to drag and drop instead- so much better! Thanks for that nudge, gwyn.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
the names I see in explorer do not reflect the names of the books?
That's correct, the Sony software (and Calibre) will show the Title/Author from the metadata rather than the filename. That's available, but you need to specifically check the book info/properties in order to find it.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. I'm still trying to sort it out a bit... I can't figure out how to use Explorer to delete the books from the reader that were downloaded from sony bookstore (the names I see in explorer do not reflect the names of the books? I can see the ones I moved over from ADE as titles).

I did end up deleted several via the book, thanks for that info dordale! I also *think* I changed the connect software to *not* sync automatically. When my husband installed it, it automatically set it up to sync and I didn't realize you could choose to drag and drop instead- so much better! Thanks for that nudge, gwyn.
If you are using collections, do not use Windows Explorer to delete your eBooks. You will mess up the collections. Use eBook Library or the Reader itself to delete eBooks. That way collections will not be messed up and maybe need a reset. And if the collections are messed up, you might then have to plug the Reader to the computer and use eBook Library to sort it out.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote