Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I decided to try an audio book and i hate it

Today i finally took the plung and tried an audio book on my kindle and i hate it.

The whole experience left me disconected from the book.

Normally i can get in a charactors head and feel what they feel, i just couldnt get this with the audio book.

Is it only me who feels this way?
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
No, it's not just you, I can't get into audio books at all. I liked hearing stories when I was a kid, and I still like listening to talk radio shows like Radio 5 Live, but while I can get lost in a book and caught up in the characters, the feeling of being totally disconnected from it all is exactly how I feel trying to listen to an audio book.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
Today i finally took the plung and tried an audio book on my kindle and i hate it.

The whole experience left me disconected from the book.

Normally i can get in a charactors head and feel what they feel, i just couldnt get this with the audio book.

Is it only me who feels this way?

My good man: I would suggest you try an OTR (Old Time Radio) show. They're short (30-60 minutes).

Give it a try. They're almost ALL free, and there are hundreds-of-thousands to choose from.

I recommend you try 'SUSPENSE.'

Here you go, just for you:

http://archive.org/details/OTRR_Suspense_Singles

Scroll down, choose one, and give it a try.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-30-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Dr. Crib

I've just tried a sample and that a lot easier to listen to than someone just reading a book.

I will definately be downloading some to listen to when my eyes are too tired.

Thats got me thinking, i wonder if i can find an original broadcast of "The War of the worlds"

Edit

I would have given you some Karma but it seams i have to spread the love some more before i can give you any more.

Last edited by alanHd; 03-30-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I have tried Audiobooks and really like them for non-fiction. There are still many times when I sit in a car going over bad roads, or even in the back of a motorcycle. Ideal for Audiobooks. But fiction? Listen to one narrator doing all the voices, male, female, and from children to old people at the same time? I can't get into it when a woman tries to do a man's voice or a man reads in a fake woman's voice.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-30-2013 at 08:11 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
Thats got me thinking, i wonder if i can find an original broadcast of "The War of the worlds"
I have a CD of "Old Time Radio Programs" that has 18 episodes from Orson Welles Mercury Theater - including the original War of the World broadcast. Picked it up at a ham radio fair, where they lots of recording like this. But I'm sure you can probably find it online.

I also found the script for the radio play of WoW online.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
alanHd
Addict

Thanks i managed to find it on the same site Dr. Crib suggested.

Just shows you the treasures available if we only think to look for them.

Link to war of the worlds in case anyone else wants it.
http://archive.org/details/OrsonWellesMrBruns
Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I think there's a learning curve to listening to audio books. I sew a lot, and I always listen to an audio book while sewing. At first I had a problem really getting into a book on audio, but now I love it and I think I actually retain more from listening than from actual reading. But I've been listening to audio books for about 2 years now.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
My good man: I would suggest you try an OTR (Old Time Radio) show. They're short (30-60 minutes).

Give it a try. They're almost ALL free, and there are hundreds-of-thousands to choose from.

I recommend you try 'SUSPENSE.'

Here you go, just for you:

http://archive.org/details/OTRR_Suspense_Singles

Scroll down, choose one, and give it a try.

Don
I love these and get a lot of them as podcasts. I especially like the Old Time Detectives like Nero Wolfe.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I agree about audiobooks. When I read, I devote 100% concentration to the words. With AB's though, I get no enjoyment from just sitting staring at the walls while listening. If I do something else at the same time, I waste too much time on the rewind button because I think I may have missed something.

I just love OTR and archive.org is a real treasure. My current favorite is "You Bet Your Life" with Groucho Marx. The episodes are around 20 minutes long and they never fail to give me a good laugh.

I also highly recommend "Lux Radio Theater" - first class (mainly) dramas by the major stars of the day.

Last edited by JoHunt; 03-30-2013 at 10:43 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
So much depends on the reader of an audiobook. There are those who just read them, but then there are truly excellent narrators who act he book, practically. The Harr Potter books are very well done, and I understand that the Briish version is even better. The full-cast version o Dune is spectacular, and has won awards. He James Marsters reading of the Dresdrn Files are also wonderful.

A poor narrator can ruin a good book, and an excellent narrator can make a not-so-good book be worth listening to.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Try "Three Skeleton Key" from the OTR Suspense series with Vincent Price, I've gotten a lot of people hooked on OTR from that one.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
A poor narrator can ruin a good book, and an excellent narrator can make a not-so-good book be worth listening to.
This.. I'm currently listening to The Last Argument of Kings, the third volume in Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series. The narrator/reader is amazing with different voices for each of the characters. He's not reading, he's performing.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
This.. I'm currently listening to The Last Argument of Kings, the third volume in Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series. The narrator/reader is amazing with different voices for each of the characters. He's not reading, he's performing.
That's what it really comes down to is the narrator. The first law series is a great example of fantastic audiobooks. I would almost rank them higher than the print versions. Another good series to listen to is Stephen King's Dark Tower series.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I love audiobooks, but I just can't sit on chair in my living room listening to one, or try to do the housework while listening. In both instances, my mind doesn't stay focused on the narration.

However, I've found that listening to audiobooks is extremely interesting when I am driving because my focus is restricted to the road so I'm able to concentrate on what I am hearing. I've done 6-hour drives listening to audiobooks all the way. It also works well at night when I'm in bed - because it's dark and my eyes are closed so there are no distractions. Ditto when I'm lying in the sun on the beach.

I don't have any problem with women doing men's voices and vice-versa. I actually prefer when the narrator does attempt to give the characters some individuality, other than a straight reading. It does sound odd to the ear for the first book or two, but after that - especially if the reader is a good one - I have to stop and remember that it is a person of the opposite gender doing the voice. I've got some Georgette Heyer novels on audio that are narrated by men who do dowager voices to perfection.

I think the best way to get used to an audiobook is to listen to one that's of a book that's already familiar and a favorite. You know the main story already, but having someone else read it places different emphases on actions and comments within the story which can result in a slightly different experience of it. Also, by listening you are constrained to hearing all of the words the author wrote - descriptive sentences and paragraphs that you might have skimmed over without realizing it when you actually read the book, which again gives you a fuller experience of the story.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote