Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
A simple question - When turning on the reader...

Hi,
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but should be a quick answer. Does the Hanlin (any flavor) or the Sony for that matter, pick up from where you left off reading when you turn it on - or does one have to go through the menus to open a specific bookmarked book?

In other words, I can close my mp3 player as I am listening to a book. When I turn it on again it starts immediately from where I left off. Does an ebook reader function similarly?

I would assume that it does - but you never know
Thanks for any assistance!

rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
You can't immediately return to a book when switching it on, but you can use the key-lock function instead of switching it off. (i.e. short press on the powerbutton)
It hardly takes any battery to suspend the reader.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
When I'm reading a book on my Sony 505 and turn off the reader, when I restart it later it will open at the same page that I left off. If I want to read a couple of books at the same time, I simply 'bookmark' the page I'm stopping at, and open another bookmark for a different book. If I'm only reading one book I don't bother to bookmark it. If I have gone back to the main menu before turning off the reader, when I turn it back on there is an option to 'continue reading' for the book I had at log off.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Thanks very much for the info - sounds like both devices handle it one way or another!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
The Hanlin remembers the last position when you close a book or shutdown the reader, so when you open the book again, it jumps to that position. It does not automatically open the last book when you start the device, though. Instead, it has a special folder in the root directory which contains the eight most recently opened books. Combine these two features, and it takes no more than two key presses after starting the device to return to the last position for the last eight books you've read.

The Hanlin has a very good power save mode, though, so unless you put the device away for a couple of days, you might just as well keep it running or put it into key-lock mode, as AlfonsVH described.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
oddity
oddity began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook/V3
Hanlin (BeBook) saves the last page read for any file on the storage medium that file is saved (main memory or SD) in a hidden directory with binary files created for that purpose. With a similar way it also saves a list of recent files opened for each storage medium. Even switching between Hanlin's and BeBook's firmware you can still read this metadata as they use the same format, but not with LBOOK's or OpenInkpot firmware.

This feature works great on Hanlin/BeBook, it never forgets the last page you read because it's stored on the same storage medium the file is saved at, so in a sense the last pages read go together with the ebook file so there is no problem even if you regularly change SD cards, provided of course you don't remove the SD cards too quickly after file or pageturn operations.

I have never noticed any problem with shutdown/bootup as well.
oddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddity View Post
Hanlin (BeBook) saves the last page read for any file on the storage medium that file is saved (main memory or SD) in a hidden directory with binary files created for that purpose. With a similar way it also saves a list of recent files opened for each storage medium. Even switching between Hanlin's and BeBook's firmware you can still read this metadata as they use the same format, but not with LBOOK's or OpenInkpot firmware.

This feature works great on Hanlin/BeBook, it never forgets the last page you read because it's stored on the same storage medium the file is saved at, so in a sense the last pages read go together with the ebook file so there is no problem even if you regularly change SD cards, provided of course you don't remove the SD cards too quickly after file or pageturn operations.

I have never noticed any problem with shutdown/bootup as well.
I find that the bookmark facility isn't as good as I would like. It bookmarks the page number so it will be wrong if you change the zoom level or change the font. zoom one and zoom 3 are ok as they are the same page number with zoom 3 (landscape) requiring two page changes to change the number. Zoom 2 is my favorite zoom but it can be problematic as the bookmarks will be wrong if they are set at a different zoom. This is also true for remembering the page number if you change the system font. I have forwarded this problem to Jinke.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookmark, function, usability