Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None Currently
Lord of the Rings eBooks

I noticed that all the Tolkien books were moved to a different publisher and re-released on the Kindle store. I have heard that the old version of these books was riddled with errors, so my question is, how does this new version do? Is it still full of errors? Thanks for any help .

Lord of the Rings
Big McLargeHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
You might find your answer in this thread here : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129885
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
You might find your answer in this thread here : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129885
Thanks, i'll read through it. Sadly from some quick reading it seems like the errors are still there .
Old 11-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargeHuge View Post
I noticed that all the Tolkien books were moved to a different publisher and re-released on the Kindle store. I have heard that the old version of these books was riddled with errors, so my question is, how does this new version do? Is it still full of errors? Thanks for any help .
I received an e-mail from Amazon a year or so ago saying that they would like to replace the Kindle copy I purchased, with the 50th anniversary edition of LOTR (single volume edition) that has several errors corrected. After replying to the e-mail, they sent the new file to my Kindle.

I checked my copy with the listing in the OP of post #2 in this thread and the listed errors have been corrected.

The edition I have is from Harper Collins eBooks.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Thanks, i'll read through it. Sadly from some quick reading it seems like the errors are still there .
Did you check your MYK page to see if there is an updated version?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphemus View Post
I received an e-mail from Amazon a year or so ago saying that they would like to replace the Kindle copy I purchased, with the 50th anniversary edition of LOTR (single volume edition) that has several errors corrected. After replying to the e-mail, they sent the new file to my Kindle.
Same here.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Did you check your MYK page to see if there is an updated version?
Sorry i wasn't clear, i meant i read through the latest posts in the thread and it seems like people are reporting the errors to still be there.

I am having a tough time deciding whether to buy an ereader (i've owned them before, don't have any currently) or just sticking to physical books until the publishers get their heads out of their asses and start proofreading their eBooks. I can't tell if it's widespread or not. Reading some forums it seems it is, while others it seems it isn't. AHHHHHHHHHHH headexplode.jpg
Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Sorry i wasn't clear, i meant i read through the latest posts in the thread and it seems like people are reporting the errors to still be there .................... AHHHHHHHHHHH headexplode.jpg
I have to say, going by my experience over, ooh, say the last 3 years or so, it would seem most heads have been de-assed.
I may have been lucky, but I've never had an e-copy that's made me angry .... even real books have mistakes on occasion !

I don't know about the LOTR, I'm afraid I prefer to have it with a few others that are "important" to me, or have significance to me, in psy-form.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If errors were that widespread, I don't think you'd have nearly the number of people adopting ereading. I read more than 100 ebooks a year (this is my 5th year with an ereader), and I can count on one hand how many ebooks were riddled with errors. It might take two hands to count the ones with bad formatting issues.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
I agree, I would say most of my ebook collection I have never seen an error that I could recall. The few that have it's generally not been more than three or four words in the whole book. I have had a book or two that was so bad as to be difficult to read, but I was able to find a corrected version.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #11
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe your standards for what qualifies as an "error" are low ?
Books have been riddled with errors but in the past couple years, formatting issues and errors levels have been decreasing and I daresay this year e-books are mostly fine. But a few years ago it was intolerably bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
If errors were that widespread, I don't think you'd have nearly the number of people adopting ereading. I read more than 100 ebooks a year (this is my 5th year with an ereader), and I can count on one hand how many ebooks were riddled with errors. It might take two hands to count the ones with bad formatting issues.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The version of LOTR sold by Amazon seems to be pretty error-free.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #13
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The current one maybe, but I have heard negative stuff about the version sold a few years ago ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The version of LOTR sold by Amazon seems to be pretty error-free.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, the original version did have many errors, but the current one is very good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think there have always been 'rough' spots with any new technology and ebooks wouldn't be likely to be the exception there. Probably early printing with Gutenberg's presses had their fair share of problems. We just don't know about them because a lot of the books he and others printed back then are no longer extant and those that remain are among the best. I mean take Gutenberg's Bible for an example. He printed up 200 copies in the 1450's and of those only 48 copies (just about a quarter) of that run are still known to exist.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote