Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Delayed firmware update due to legal dispute?

Would it be possible that the excessive delays in the release of the new firmware and Bookeen's strange behaviour in this regards is due to some kind of legal dispute with Amazon? We know that Bookeen has taken on some restrictive covenants to get access to the Mobipocket reader, for instance not to put another DRM system on the same reader. For all we know there might be limitations further limitations and such limitations might be the base for a legal dispute. If there is a dispute regarding such issues the timeline for resolving such dispute would be hard to determine for Bookeen and might explain that the release have taken so long time.

This would also explain Bookeen’s lack of communication as a consequence of confidentiality covenants in the license agreement with Amazon (Mobipocket) and not that Bookeen is lightly retarded when it comes to PR.
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
This might be true for the PRC-based firmware (though I doubt it), but not for the ePub-version.

So Bookeen still - or: even more - could concentrate on their ePub-firmware and release that one, after all. Or decide to totally drop PRC once and for all and blame it on Amazon.

No, I think they just don't get it finished in time (whatever time ...).
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I think there is not one problem for the update, but a sum of problems.

Form what they said bookeen tried to get authorization from amazon to put both mobi drm and ePub drm on the same firmware, but it failed in the end, so bookeen had to go for plan B (ie two firmware)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
This would also explain Bookeen’s lack of communication as a consequence of confidentiality covenants in the license agreement with Amazon (Mobipocket) and not that Bookeen is lightly retarded when it comes to PR.
Your suggestion makes sense.
I can totally picture Amazon going to court over this as, depending on the exact wording, they could choose an interpretation of the contract where having two different firmwares with different DRM systems on the samed device would not be permitted. After that it's a lawyer battle and Amazon clearly has the bigger guns in this department.

But I think Bookeen should be able to say that the firmware release has been delayed due to legal concerns, even if they can't give details.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I said, then my advice to Bookeen would be:

"Drop prc, ASAP. Blame it on Amazon. Concentrate on ePub. Publish that firmware. Communicate it to the customers and partners. Enjoy."
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #6
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Drop prc, ASAP. Blame it on Amazon. Concentrate on ePub...
NOT!!! Besides, AFAIK it's that st*nkin' ePub-version that keeps us Mobi-users from getting the update...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
As I said, then my advice to Bookeen would be:

"Drop prc, ASAP. Blame it on Amazon. Concentrate on ePub. Publish that firmware. Communicate it to the customers and partners. Enjoy."
Seconded !

ePub ePub ePub !
Old 10-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Having bought the opus and handed my Gen 3 to hubby have to say I'm an ePub convert .. at the start I was going to change as soon as the new firmware was available .. now I won't bother

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Seconded !

ePub ePub ePub !
Why should I accept a system with less capabilities? Less font sizes, no dictionary support?

I aggree that ePub looks promissing, but that is al it is: Promissing

Untill they deliver I'll stay with Mobi/PRC
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Why should I accept a system with less capabilities? Less font sizes, no dictionary support?

I totally agree.......... MOBI MOBI MOBI
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post

ePub have at least two big advantages over mobi :
One can use more than one font per file. It's open and easily editable

What do you by less font size ? ePub can use any font size you want. Dictionary support is the only advantage I can find to mobi.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-12-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Truttebol
Book worm
Truttebol has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Truttebol has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Truttebol has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Cybook Gen3
I am all for ePub too. Give me ePub, give me an update!!!!!

Is it Soonday already....
Truttebol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
marcinJ13
marcinJ13 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.marcinJ13 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.marcinJ13 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
1) I don't have any ePub books at the moment. My reader is used to read both english and polish books. So far I haven't found even a single application that displays correctly some of polish characters (ąęśćźżółń).

2) I have quite big library of books in prc format and I don't want to loose this investment. For example OALD dictionary. I have it in prc format and it works great with prc books. Can anyone with epub firmware say the same?

So I agree that ePub is "promissing", but not even close to be winner. And apparently it is delaying firmware release for prc users. So:

Drop ePub, ASAP. Blame it on whatever. Concentrate on prc. Publish that firmware. Communicate it to the customers and partners. Enjoy
marcinJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
K-Thom
The one and only

Quote:
Is it Soonday already....
I'm afraid we're heading straight towards Looneyday ...
Old 10-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
ePub have at least two big advantages over mobi :
One can use more than one font per file. It's open and easily editable
Advantages?! Not for me, as a reader (and DRMed-ePub is neither open nor editable)...

Disadvantages (ePub):
- no (native) dictionary support
- no justification (on most devices)
- mandatory font(s) (from publisher)

BTW: As others already pointed out, ePub looks promising and I'd surely like to be able to read non-DRMed ePubs on my Gen3, but as long as all problems with ePub are not cleared I stick with Mobi!
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote