Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #31
tomh
tomh doesn't littertomh doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7.2, Aura H2O
You can add "B005" for the Kindle DX International version.
tomh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #32
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
cool thanks this works for the Kindle DX International version!
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #33
OhEmGee!
Reader
OhEmGee! began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3-3g, Sony PRS600
I have, I mean I met a guy in the street who has a replacement K2i (new) w/B003 serial number. I, er, he couldn't get the PID while still using earlier Kindle software version (forget which ...2.3?, but it's now been updated to 2.5 so I guess it's moot.) I...he got same error message as OP when trying with the earlier software version: "Warning: unrecognized serial number. Please recheck input."

I'm searching the board, but so far not finding anything that will access the new PID w/2.5. As crummy as the local library selection is, it's still worth using. Any threads I'm missing with a solution? Is there a solution at all? If not now, will there be one at some point?

Thanks much!
OhEmGee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #34
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I also met a guy somewhere who told me that the firmware version is irrelevant when getting the PID, since it's just some math applied to the serial number. Maybe the guy you met has an older version of the script.

However, some other script which might be run after getting the PID and has the PID as input (along with some other stuff) will fail if the other stuff is for 2.5.x.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #35
jswinden
Nameless Being

I met a guy whose new Kindle DXG has a serial number that begins with B009. Does that matter these days?
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #36
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I met a guy whose new Kindle DXG has a serial number that begins with B009. Does that matter these days?
In terms of getting the PID, not really. But the new serial prefix might have to be included in the script the same simple way happened with B005 before (the math does not change, it is just a matter of adding the new prefix to the lisr of recognized ones).

However please note that according to someone, for 2.5.x devices the PID won't help that other script (and a B009 device would always be at least 2.5.x).
Old 07-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #37
OhEmGee!
Reader

He confirms he has an older version of the script.
Er, when asked he hesitates to admit it, but he doesn't understand the second part of your post. You're saying it's not worth it to update the script since it wont work on something/what?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #38
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEmGee! View Post
Er, when asked he hesitates to admit it, but he doesn't understand the second part of your post. You're saying it's not worth it to update the script since it wont work on something/what?
It works fine on new devices. All you have to do is open the script in notepad and add a new condition to the If statement with your serial number prefix.

Or, at least that's what I've heard, from someone who owns a new Graphite with 2.5.5.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #39
wesleyer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEmGee! View Post
Well, let me put this way: getting the PID is not an end in itself. People usually get the PID to do something with it after that.

One of the possible things to do with the PID (or so I was told), was to remove the DRM protection from books. This usually involved running another script which had the PID as input. My source told me that for books downloaded to 2.5.x devices, that script will not work anymore.

Other possible thing to do with the PID is to buy DRM protected books from other providers. My source doesn't know if this is still working.

But fixing the PID script is easy (see Talldog's post just before mine), and it will correctly output the PID.

Last edited by wesleyer; 07-24-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #40
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyer View Post
Other possible thing to do with the PID is to buy DRM protected books from other providers. My source doesn't know if this is still working.
It still works.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #41
OhEmGee!
Reader

Ah, and here he was just thinking about library usage. Veddy iiinteresting stuff. You guys are full of awesomeness*

*said w/a high girly voice. But the guy you've "really been helping" (kewl air quotes) would thank you in a more manly way.**

**not involving bending over or anything, maybe just a deep thank you and a strong handshake
Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #42
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
It does not work for me. Or for that other guy I asked, either. I do get a PID but the script then tells me that the PID is incorrect. sigh. I have a new DX, the graphite one with the serial number that begins B009
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #43
wesleyer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
It does not work for me. Or for that other guy I asked, either. I do get a PID but the script then tells me that the PID is incorrect. sigh. I have a new DX, the graphite one with the serial number that begins B009
That confirms what my source told me. You may want to check out this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86259
Old 08-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #44
Talldog
Addict

From the past two posts, I can't tell exactly what you're saying doesn't work.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #45
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
The KindlePID script can be easily modified to produce a PID for the new Kindles, but the mobidedrm scripts do not work any more. They indicate that the PID may be incorrect.

For those of us who simply remove DRM and then move the books to a Calibre library for safekeeping, that is not a comfortable situation. I re-read books often and I want some assurance that I can access my purchases at any point in the future.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote