Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:14 AM   #17
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queso View Post
Also, is the resolution sufficient? Is it detailed enough? I like that it has a big screen but I'm concerned the resolution may result in blocky or pixel-like text. Please keep in mind that I'm going to primary use this for scanned PDF e-books like those off archive.org -- I suppose that might make a difference when answering the question. I want the bigger screen so I can view larger, detailed pages all at once without zooming, scrolling, etc. But I'm concerned that small text might not be as readable. Here is an example file to test with : https://archive.org/download/works01...orks01knox.pdf Are the footnotes clearly legible on the M96(C)?

Sorry to keep bugging you all, this is a big investment for me. Thanks for your help!

Hi,
even under Linux with "evince" (PDF reader) your file is hard to read. The quality is bad. To turn a page is not immediate. With Acroread, it's just a little better, but when you move the page, the image is black then the text (image) is displayed.

I haven't try to test with my M92, later.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #18
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
For documents from archive.org, I recommend the djvu format. It takes less space and loads faster.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #19
Queso
Queso began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hi,
even under Linux with "evince" (PDF reader) your file is hard to read. The quality is bad. To turn a page is not immediate. With Acroread, it's just a little better, but when you move the page, the image is black then the text (image) is displayed.

I haven't try to test with my M92, later.
Thank you, Randy. Yes, that PDF may not have been the best sample, I noticed that under evince, too. Although I think some of the pages were scanned better than others. Although, if you find another PDF with similar sized text, that would be fine, too. Thanks!
Queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #20
Queso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
For documents from archive.org, I recommend the djvu format. It takes less space and loads faster.
Thanks for the tip!

I'm pretty heavily leaning towards the M96C right now. Still waiting to see if there's a compelling reason not to get it.
Advert
Old 02-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #21
Queso

Okay, I give up. I'm ordering the M96C right now.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #22
Queso

Ordered! I suppose it should be here in a week or so. I'll be back...
Old 02-25-2015, 05:07 AM   #23
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Who is the vendor ?
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #24
Queso

This is the one I ordered: http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...oox-m96-c.html
Old 02-25-2015, 02:41 PM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

How much was your shipping, please?
Old 02-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #26
Queso

48 Euros, for the more expensive option (otherwise I would have to wait 3+ weeks).
Old 02-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #27
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
It is also easy to get b/w pages by simply choosing b/w display rendering or foreground rendering in djvu reader, when we want to get rid of those dark(yellow) backgrounds to make a contrast better on eink screen.

Those who nevertheless want to read pdf, can quickly export djvu to pdf beforehand, e.g. using DjView reader for PC (as color or as b/w for better contrast) or k2pdfopt app.

We can also use k2pdfopt to make a better copy of pdf from archive.org by simply using k2pdfopt's bitmap mode (native mode turned off and using better contrast) or by saving pdf as images (using some pdf editor or tool) and then combining those images back to pdf.

Pdf will be bigger but quick to open and flip through on eink or tablet.

Last edited by markom; 02-25-2015 at 11:34 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #28
Queso

Hi, everyone! Here's an update: I received my M96C from Germany on Monday. I have to say, I'm really impressed with it. There are of course quirks about it, but the screen is very good even for small text. I'm not going to create a lengthy review, and I can't compare it to any other e-readers (I don't have any), but so far I'm very happy. Finally I can read academic journal PDFs and PDFs of books off archive.org without having to sit in front of my computer! Thank you all for your help!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #29
Queso

Incidentally, is there any way to get one of the black cases that fits this device? Onyx International say they're out of stock and so is eReader Store. I don't really want a brown one. I have purchased one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N17GD7I/ in the hopes it will be serviceable in protecting the screen.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi, everyone! Here's an update: I received my M96C from Germany on Monday. I have to say, I'm really impressed with it. There are of course quirks about it, but the screen is very good even for small text. I'm not going to create a lengthy review, and I can't compare it to any other e-readers (I don't have any), but so far I'm very happy. Finally I can read academic journal PDFs and PDFs of books off archive.org without having to sit in front of my computer! Thank you all for your help!

You're not getting off that easy, my friend!

We require a review or your M96C goes back from whence it came!