Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #76
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Guys, I think Steve Jordan means that every edition of a book you buy from his site has some sort of mark that if you share the book over the Internet it can be tracked down to the initial owner the copy (something like...when you buy lrf file, it has an embeded numner 017, next lrf has a number 018 etc., if you know where to look for the number when you open the file you can find it)

I agree with that type of DRM.

P.S. I could be totally wrong in assuming what type of DRM he is taling about
Survey says:

Blaat!

Oh, I'm sorry, but that was a good guess, and a type of DRM I wouldn't have a problem with, either. Thing is, though, the likely result in suing the one person who sent out your files probably wouldn't be worth the effort (unless I was the MPAA, and could convince a judge to award me the cost of a house in damages).

Everybody give up?

My DRM system, bought off-the-shelf, creates an identification code for the finished transaction... not the book itself... in such a way that the buyer can only download the book(s) they purchased, and no others, for a limited time, based on that code. You can't access the folder holding the e-books without that code, so someone who hasn't bought a book can't get into the folder and download anything.

Technically (for rlauzon), this is still DRM... it is still a form of security. Specifically, it manages your right to download the e-book you bought, and no others. It controls nothing else about the use of your e-book. Once you have your book, it's out of my hands. It doesn't prevent a purchaser from sending copies of their book to their senior class, converting it to other formats, or putting their book on the darknet. It just keeps out non-purchasers, that's pretty much all. It's effective to that extent, and to a purchaser, it's non-invasive and virtually invisible.

So: Am I a naughty boy for fooling you all for all this time? Did my DRM go too far? Do any of you feel slighted, ripped off, or otherwise taken advantage of, by me? I'd like to think not, but clearly that would be for you to decide.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #77
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Nope, that is not DRM - as DRM is a system to limit the usage of a given media. But let's not discuss words here.

I think it is pretty obvious that no one has a problem with that kind of download restriction (though I personally would prefer a user-registration with the ability to redownload a given media, but as I am a grown up, I can handle my own backups )
But .. we all have a problem with normal DRM - that is a DRM that restricts your usage, the devices or the software you read that book on, or similar.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #78
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Everybody give up?
Exactally what I thought you meant. Of course, you don't have to belive me. But, I didn't think that was really DRM so I didn't post that this is what you meant.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #79
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is my overriding point: So many of us are taking knee-jerk reactions to the mere phrase DRM... running around in a panic, screaming "Big Brother!" and assuming every ice cube is an iceberg. But over-reacting isn't helping to solve the problem, it's merely clouding the issue.

There are perfectly workable ways to apply security to sales, as other industries have already demonstrated to one extent or another, and as some in our industry are experimenting with now. We should be listening, thinking and trying, not simply nuking everything that has those three horrible letters in it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #80
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
The thing is, your system really isn't DRM.

Despite the words the letters stand for, DRM have always been described (and sold to greedy and technically clueless managers and CEO) as a way to control precisely how their customers could and, more to the point, could not use whatever it was they "bought".

I may look like I'm nitpicking on words, but it's important to make that clear. Whereas your system can only be cracked through general purpose hacking (i.e. breaking into your server), DRM can, in essence, only work if you put a cop behind everyone's shoulder.

I don't know about you, but if we get to that kind of extreme I'd like to at least be spared the cost of the DRM itself...
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #81
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Ah, that would be telling. As you've so often said, "Reread my post."
Ya, that's pretty much what I expected from you.

Wikipedia has a really nice overview of DRM at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

You might want to check it out.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #82
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Guys, I think Steve Jordan means that every edition of a book you buy from his site has some sort of mark that if you share the book over the Internet it can be tracked down to the initial owner the copy (something like...when you buy lrf file, it has an embeded numner 017, next lrf has a number 018 etc., if you know where to look for the number when you open the file you can find it)
But that's not DRM since there is no rights management taking place.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #83
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Technically (for rlauzon), this is still DRM... it is still a form of security.
You've confused DRM and security. While they use similar technologies, they really have nothing to do with each other.

And what you are doing is not DRM. Again, I suggest that you read the wikipedia overview and actually learn something about DRM before presuming to talk about it.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #84
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
So: Am I a naughty boy for fooling you all for all this time? Did my DRM go too far? Do any of you feel slighted, ripped off, or otherwise taken advantage of, by me? I'd like to think not, but clearly that would be for you to decide.
As others have noted, your security system is not DRM. I've bought books from you...and would not have done so if they had been encumbered with digital rights management.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #85
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
This is my overriding point: So many of us are taking knee-jerk reactions to the mere phrase DRM... running around in a panic, screaming "Big Brother!" and assuming every ice cube is an iceberg. But over-reacting isn't helping to solve the problem, it's merely clouding the issue.

There are perfectly workable ways to apply security to sales, as other industries have already demonstrated to one extent or another, and as some in our industry are experimenting with now. We should be listening, thinking and trying, not simply nuking everything that has those three horrible letters in it.
Paranoia is an aspect of life in the technological world. Do you own a razr cell? If you're involved in illegal activities, Big Bro might have decided to turn its mike on surreptiously to record your conversations. A few mobsters were just put away using evidence gathered in this fashion. Scary thing is, this misuse of technology can be used against Patriots as well as Criminals- all up to your good old trustworthy government....

Seriously, DRM sucks- because it limits the utility of your purchase. Twenty years after I purchased a hardback book, I can open it up and read it. Ten years after purchasing DRMd "content," I have lost the keys to unlock it, so I have lost value.

How about a law regulating DRM? For each product purchased with DRM, the seller must put a certain percentage of the selling price into an interest-paying escrow account. After 25 years, the seller gets the money back- unless, of course, the DRM is blocking the consumer from retrieving the content.....In which case the buyer receives the proceeds.
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #86
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrimm View Post
How about a law regulating DRM? For each product purchased with DRM, the seller must put a certain percentage of the selling price into an interest-paying escrow account. After 25 years, the seller gets the money back- unless, of course, the DRM is blocking the consumer from retrieving the content.....In which case the buyer receives the proceeds.
I'd rather have them put the actual content in unencrypted form into escrow, and get a copy of that if they go under. (I believe Canadian law is headed this way, if it hasn't gotten there already.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adam engst, david pogue, piracy