Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
JuliaG
JuliaG began at the beginning.

Device: None
Notes taking device

So I know this question has been asked before but as the market is constantly changing I will post again. I am an academic and I spend a lot of time annotating PDFs. I need an e-reader, or possibly a tablet, that will let me take in text notes on a PDF using a stylus, highlight text, and flag sections. I really just want to do the same things you can do to a piece of paper but in digital format. I would like it also to have the ability to do some web browsing but its not necessary.

My research has shown me that people generally recommend an iPad. I would prefer something smaller and cheaper. I won't be playing games or browsing facebook so the $300+ price tag is a little steep. I know Kindle supports PDFs but I do not think that the e-reader comes with stylus capabilities. Recommendations?
JuliaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I'd definitely go with a tablet over an ereader. The Fire tablets are nice and less expensive than an iPad.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
For a tablet, you would have to check the relevant pdf apps, to see if they allow handwriting notes, etc. That would all be in the app.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I suggest this app
http://www.amazon.com/ezPDF-Reader-P...dp/B004R13U6Y/

Any tablet with real stylus pen is a must if you really need it for notes.
Something like this, which is my choice.

[Image violates guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-27-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaG View Post
So I know this question has been asked before but as the market is constantly changing I will post again. I am an academic and I spend a lot of time annotating PDFs. I need an e-reader, or possibly a tablet, that will let me take in text notes on a PDF using a stylus, highlight text, and flag sections. I really just want to do the same things you can do to a piece of paper but in digital format. I would like it also to have the ability to do some web browsing but its not necessary.

My research has shown me that people generally recommend an iPad. I would prefer something smaller and cheaper. I won't be playing games or browsing facebook so the $300+ price tag is a little steep. I know Kindle supports PDFs but I do not think that the e-reader comes with stylus capabilities. Recommendations?
The stylus solutions for iPads and the likes, without a digitizer are crap.
I mean the ones like this: http://www.amazon.de/Wacom-CS-100-Ei...ds=stylus+ipad
Here the pen basically simulates your fingertip and is about as precise.
So, on a tablet, you would need a digitizer enabled solution, WACOM for example.
And then you'll struggle to even meet the price point of $ 300+.

Just a thought:
I'm using (amongst other tools) the Livescribe3 pen: http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/smartpen/ls3/
It's a "normal" pen, writing on paper. Either on (more expensive) special paper or you produce the paper yourself via laser printer.
Anyway, the idea behind it:
The paper has raster points and scans your writing on the fly.
On the fly it can be synced to iPad.
There are other livescribe pens, to do the same with a PC. You then sync either via USB or WiFi.
You write on normal paper with a normal pen, far superior to writing on the glass surface of a tablet.
Such pens are in the range of $ 100.
There are even pens, that can write on any paper, not juts the special rasterized one, for example: http://www.amazon.de/ACECAD-DigiMemo...rds=livescribe
Basically, you attach the included receiver to a standard notepad and write with the pen on any kind of paper.
So, if you can print your PDFs, there are fantastic solutions with pen for a low price point.
If you have to stick to digital documents, there are some reader with pen support, for example the big ones from PocketBook. A tablet is faster and more versatile of course, but including a pen solution way above the price point you mention.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Just a thought:
I'm using (amongst other tools) the Livescribe3 pen: http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/smartpen/ls3/
Not really on the PDF topic, but I'll mention I've been using a Livescribe Echo pen for a few years now and love it. I can't read my own handwriting half the time, so I record meetings, and just note key bullet points, topics, and diagrams on paper, and the pen links the audio to the notes. Does a remarkable job of ICR, too, considering my poor handwriting. It's been great. I should put a Livescribe referral link in my sig, too. :-)

Last edited by ApK; 09-19-2014 at 09:47 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
The stylus solutions for iPads and the likes, without a digitizer are crap.
I mean the ones like this: http://www.amazon.de/Wacom-CS-100-Ei...ds=stylus+ipad
Here the pen basically simulates your fingertip and is about as precise.
So, on a tablet, you would need a digitizer enabled solution, WACOM for example.
And then you'll struggle to even meet the price point of $ 300+.

There are better Styli for iPad now i.e. with finer thinner tips like Bamboo Fineline and Intuos 2, Apex, Adonit etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4c6JJCLcc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi-uH39w4QY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuv0z7vdvzY

If OP just wants to scribble on pdf, instead of taking regular notes in classroom, then tablets without digitizer will be good enough.

Last edited by markom; 09-19-2014 at 02:51 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaG View Post
If you want smaller and cheaper than an Ipad, look at the Galaxy Note 8. It has an active digitizer, 8", Android 4.4 and below the $200 price point, if you're willing to go for refurbished (I got mine for €179, including s&h).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, note taking, pdf, pdf annotator tablet, stylus