Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
gchal
gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo glo
Unhappy Kobo glo losing books every time I power off

I have just started using the glo, having used a old Kobo a couple of years ago. Loaded all my free epub books using Calibre and could open them all OK with no problem.

The first time after I powered it off rather than put it in sleep mode all the books were gone from the library on the Kobo. I connected it to my PC and could see all the books on the Kobo via windows explorer and through Calibre. I then ejected the Kobo and all the books were back.

I can reproduce this every time:
  • books are all in kobo library
  • power off Kobo
  • books are 'gone'
  • connect Kobo to any PC or laptop
  • eject Kobo without performing any action
  • Kobo 'processes new content'
  • all books appear again!

I really don't want to never turn the kobo off, or have to connect it to a PC every time I do to get my books back. Is this a common problem and is there a solution?

Thanks in advance.
gchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
THis sounds like a corrupted database somehow on the Glo.

Did you do the setup through Kobo Desktop?

You might like to try a quick reset; easiest done via Settings | Account | Signout from Kobo account. This will in effect delete the database from the reader.

Then it will prompt you to redo the setup via either Kobo Desktop or WiFi.

Once that is done, try reloading books (in fact, the ePubs will not have been dropped and I think it's likely the initial power scan will find them).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
gchal
gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gchal knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo glo
Thanks PeterT,

Followed your instructions and all is now good.

(I did do the initial setup through Kobo desktop BTW). The books were still there after the quick reset so I didn't have to load them again. They also now don't disappear when I power the Kobo off!

Thanks
gchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Glad it all worked
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
antonf
antonf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
As much as I love my Kobo Glo, I will NEVER buy another Kobo.

The amount of cr@p you have to put up with side-loaded books doesn't justify the purchase.
antonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
joiwind
joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo
^^^
joiwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonf View Post

The amount of cr@p you have to put up with side-loaded books doesn't justify the purchase.
Actually that seems rather harsh when most issues seem to be the result of poor quality ebooks and generally user error.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Actually that seems rather harsh when most issues seem to be the result of poor quality ebooks and generally user error.
Plus, AntonF, your comment is off topic and in fact in a thread of a happy user who's problem got solved successfully. There's absolutely no reason to share the thought you shared with us here.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #9
AliLuki
AliLuki began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks Peter! This worked for me too. I've been using a Kobo Touch for years now and I just purchased a refurbished one for my hubby. I loaded it up for him and couldn't figure out why we couldn't find the books after every time he turned the darned thing off. I followed your instructions and all is working fine now. Not bad for $25!
AliLuki is offline   Reply With Quote