Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #31
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdrob View Post
I know what you mean Chi Cygni I just gifted a Kindle Keyboard last week but I also have severe gagetitis. I just got a iphone 5 and a kindle paperwhite and now should get my kobo mini today.. Now waiting to see what the ipad mini looks like next week...
Oh, shiny new gadgets. I will keep my K3 for the free 3G which proved very useful several times already. But now I crave for one with lighted screen. They announced Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight recently. I already sat out 2 generations of Cybooks but this one seems to have my name written on it. Or was it Kobo Glo with my name? Paperwhite is not available to me so far (my credit card rejoices)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Two pink Sony 350 (one spare), one Kobo Touch, one Nook lended to my brother/nephew... benefits of being alone

Ah... one Opus sold to a friend, one 650 gifted to other friend, one Standard Kobo sold to other friend...
I just gifted 1 Opus (pink) to a friend. I was just dusting around it. It is still in impeccable condtion and she's very happy. I kept black Opus (so you see I had two of a kind as well) And I have one very poor quality ereader which I will need to throw away. Pity it cost a lot of money at the time. Replaced 4 times, still with warranty and plastic on screen, unused but I hate it. So for the moment I have 3 ereaders and 2 tablets and 1 smartphone.

Mini is very cute. It was displayed next to Opus in the shop and suddenly Opus looked fat and big.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #32
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Well, in case anyone succumbs to gadgetitis (like I did) at least the Mini's price is also "mini"!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #33
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
I've got mine - I love it.

My only gripe is that the type size granularity in the mid-range of sizes is too coarse. There are far too many absurdly large sizes, while the middle of the Size slider seems to jump from 10-point to 12- to 14-point.

I'd really like to see 1-point jumps in the most useful middle range - as it is, the sizes (using Caecilia) go from slightly too small to slightly too large for optimal readability and lines per page, much like the sizes on Kindles.

Last edited by EldRick; 10-16-2012 at 01:51 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #34
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I'm just having a severe case of gadgetitis these days...pity you can read from only one at a time, sigh
At least I now know what I have severe gadgetitis. Explains so much. This year mine has been in high gear.

March - 7" android HTC tablet
April - 3rd gen. iPad
August - Nexus 7

Not to forget a bridge camera (April) to replace my dying point and shoot, camcorder (May) and a new point and shoot a couple of months back.

Not to forget my Kobo Glo, well my epub reader is 3 and half years old now, and a new Kindle on pre-order seeings as I've seem to have lost my Kindle Touch (oops forgot that was only in March this year!) to my Mum and want a upgrade/backup for my 2 yr old Kindle Keyboard.

That said I don't go out, don't drink, don't smoke, haven't been on holiday since '99, have no dependants ... I like taking photos, reading and shooting videos.

My HTC tabby (as my nephews call it) my nephews claim is 'theirs' and I share custody of my iPad with my Mum who has always wanted one but wouldn't accept a new iPad due to the expense so we 'share'. I get to use her laptop (like now) and she gets to use my iPad.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #35
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:

I just gifted 1 Opus (pink) to a friend. I was just dusting around it. It is still in impeccable condtion and she's very happy. I kept black Opus (so you see I had two of a kind as well) And I have one very poor quality ereader which I will need to throw away. Pity it cost a lot of money at the time. Replaced 4 times, still with warranty and plastic on screen, unused but I hate it. So for the moment I have 3 ereaders and 2 tablets and 1 smartphone.
I haven't talked about my iPad and my iPhone Gadgetitis, I think :-D
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #36
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, Gecko has already Mini covers (nice ones, not very expensive) at its web.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #37
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
The minis arrived and I had to open the white one. Not the greatest images, it's cloudy here and I had to leave the plastic overlay on the white reader. The reader does need to be charged also. Definitely a lighter screen than my Kobo Touch has. Wish I could play with it more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct. 17, 2012 026.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	94321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct. 17, 2012 027.JPG
Views:	561
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	94322  
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #38
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
The minis arrived and I had to open the white one. Not the greatest images, it's cloudy here and I had to leave the plastic overlay on the white reader. The reader does need to be charged also. Definitely a lighter screen than my Kobo Touch has. Wish I could play with it more.
It charges pretty quickly if you use a micro USB phone charger rather than the computer.
Looking at your 2 readers next to each other makes me realize that although the Mini's screen is only an inch smaller than the Touch's, the device itself is much smaller in overall size!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #39
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
I'm not sure how well that would work because of the way the back snaps in.
I would glue it to the snap-back along the top edge, so the plastic can fold forward over the top edge to cover the screen, or fold down backward to form an easel.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #40
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
I would glue it to the snap-back along the top edge, so the plastic can fold forward over the top edge to cover the screen, or fold down backward to form an easel.
Well, share some pics once you've done it if you would! I'm curious to see how it will look...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-17-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #41
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnforpaul45 View Post
If these had the same high-res screen as the Glo (but of course at smaller resolution, but same PPI), I might have just gotten one of these. But I'm waiting for the Glo

Nice to see that Kobo is working out their supply chain hiccups though
I've heard that the PPI between the two was very close, I could be wrong, though. Somewhere around 210.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2216859

See entry #31.

The Glo seems to have roughly the same DPI:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=kobo+dpi

See entry #2.

It doesn't have the light, though, which would have been a nice added feature.

It really looks like a great device. It even makes my PRS-350 feel a little chunky
It is too similar to my 350 for me to consider purchasing it. It looks like the perfect size for commuters who like to read.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #42
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post

It really looks like a great device. It even makes my PRS-350 feel a little chunky
It is too similar to my 350 for me to consider purchasing it. It looks like the perfect size for commuters who like to read.
I'll upload a photo comparing both of them (I have a PRS-350 and I've purchased a Mini - gadgetitis ).
Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #43
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Tracking says mine is out for delivery! New Toy! New Toy!

The mailman was knocking as I hit the enter key. Now the vexing whine for a case begins.

Last edited by david_e; 10-19-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Updates!
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #44
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I have terrible case of gadgetitis right at this moment. I went to Fnac online and Kobo Glo is available. I shouldn't post here as I have to hold onto something and keep my hands busy instead of them taking over and placing order. Mini (so darn cute) is too close to Opus but oh how I crave new toy with lighted screen! The internal unbearable torment! And imagine Mini with light - that I would surrender to... Husband waved his finger at me when I shyly said "you know, there's this ereader with lighted screen" What does HE know, he who doesn't read. That said I also don't drink, go out etc etc. I have a feeling I blab incoherently but it's very late and I'm quite tired.

Btw, I still have Gecko cover for K3 and it's lovely, durable and very light. Recommend.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #45
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
I have terrible case of gadgetitis right at this moment. I went to Fnac online and Kobo Glo is available. I shouldn't post here as I have to hold onto something and keep my hands busy instead of them taking over and placing order. Mini (so darn cute) is too close to Opus but oh how I crave new toy with lighted screen! The internal unbearable torment! And imagine Mini with light - that I would surrender to... Husband waved his finger at me when I shyly said "you know, there's this ereader with lighted screen" What does HE know, he who doesn't read. That said I also don't drink, go out etc etc. I have a feeling I blab incoherently but it's very late and I'm quite tired.

Btw, I still have Gecko cover for K3 and it's lovely, durable and very light. Recommend.
Yes, I've got the itch, too.

I just set up my Mini, have been talking up the Glo for weeks, and it's a go as soon as they're released here. With talk of a possible iPad mini announcement on Tuesday, i've worked that into a few conversations as well.

The Kobo's I announced with an "I Want!" A new iPad may require a little cuddling or a lap dance.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote