Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
E-reading on planes

As many of you will be traveling on planes with your e-reader over the holidays, you will undoubtedly discover the annoyance of not being allowed to read for an extended period around take-off and landing. The U.S. FAA has a blanket ban on all electronic devices from gate push-back to seat-belt sign off, and from about 10 minutes before landing until arrival at the gate. Most other countries follow the FAA's lead.

This is a better-safe-than-sorry policy which may have made sense originally, but its time has clearly passed. In the vast number of flights that happen every day around the world, there is not a single documented case ever of passenger electronic devices interfering with navigation, in spite of many investigations into cases where it was raised as a possibility for an unexplained problem. In fact research by the IEEE has shown that there are on average dozens of passenger electronic devices (including many active cell phones) left running throughout most flights. Not to mention of course the on-board entertainment electronics (now including WiFi), which are often left on during landing. It's all detectable by the special instruments the IEEE used, but apparently has never interfered with aircraft navigation. It's especially unlikely in the case of e-readers, which operate at very low power.

I guess the FAA's rationale for continuing the ban is that it's impossible to anticipate the range of consumer electronic devices that might be used and have never been tested, or that some of them might malfunction and emit unexpected interference. But the fact is that these devices are present and usually not fully turned off anyway. Maybe it's time to update an outdated policy.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'd be more concerned about them changing their ball-grabbing policy before I worried about their gizmo usage policies.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Yeah, I went to Florida last week (from Michigan) and found myself jealous of the people with their paperback novels that could read all throughout the flight.

And of course, I never turned off my ereader or my iPod touch. Just put them in sleep mode.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Isn't that what the inflight magazine and the free newspapers are for?

Although recently I watched a guy who had his ereader, a text book (opened to a complicated diagram) and a note book all balanced on his lap. He read and wrote notes the entire time.
I can only assume the FAs didn't notice the ereader and just saw the text book and note book. Or else they took pity on him and allowed him to work/study in peace!

I'm pleased to report that we didn't crash!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The policy about gizmos isn't about interference. It's about reducing the number of airborn, hard-edged projecties when the pilot screws up.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
I doubt that turning off a device reduces its edge hardness. . .

And then there's also all those hardcover books they sell in the airport shops, can't turn those off.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I don't travel much, and it's always for work, but when I do, I stick a magazine or skinny paperback in my bag for those take-off and landings.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
mike998
Exasperated Kobo Lover
mike998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
The take off and landing portions of your flight are the most dangerous.

You don't read or play with toys, so you can be made aware of any situation that may develop.

I've flown a lot, and it's far better to have your gear stowed and be flicking through the flight magazine, paying half attention to the announcements than working out who the heck committed the murder in this last, gripping episode of Mr. Bob and the Bobbites while the flight spirals down to the ground and you sit there, fiddling, and not caring.
mike998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I like to have my reader safely in its hard case for takeoff and landing. It doesn't take that long (not compared to the boredom of a four hour flight). Besides getting it out to read after we are airborne gives me something to do for a minute.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Well, if I were flying the plane I might be concerned about having my attention distracted by my e-reader (although I fail to see how it could be more distracting than a paper book). But considering how I'm sitting there strapped into a middle seat which is about 75% of the size need to accommodate a normal human being, I don't think my attention is likely to be an issue for the plane's take-off or landing.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Their plane; their rules. If you don't like 'em, travel by some other means .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I heard they are going to make an exception, but only if you are a famous actor and you are playing Words with Friends.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Sounds like you're flying with the wrong airline. I've never been told to turn off my electronic devices outside of taking off or landing (not that I am a frequent flyer or anything but the airlines I have flown include Air Canada, Air France and ANA.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Well, the off-time is from gate push-back to seat-belt sign off, and from about 10 minutes before landing until arrival at the gate. If that were a significant percentage of the total flight time, I'd be driving instead. Then I wouldn't be able to read anything.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #15
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
If they didn't have this rule, who would read their Sky Mall magazines?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote