Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Question WCIF: The Complete Anne of Green Gables Set

Hi. First off, This is a WCIF (Where Can I Find) request, so please direct me to the correct area of the forum if this is not it.

I am looking for a The Complete Anne of Green Gables Set, (9 books I believe), in e-book (Mobie, Kindle Compatible) format, please.
I have checked Amazon, of course, but none of the collections had all of the Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea books.

Thank You In Advance.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Hi. First off, This is a WCIF (Where Can I Find) request, so please direct me to the correct area of the forum if this is not it.

I am looking for a The Complete Anne of Green Gables Set, (9 books I believe), in e-book (Mobie, Kindle Compatible) format, please.
I have checked Amazon, of course, but none of the collections had all of the Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea books.

Thank You In Advance.
There's actually only eight:

Anne of Green Gables (1908)
Anne of Avonlea (1909)
Anne of the Island (1915)
Anne's House of Dreams (1917)
Rainbow Valley (1919)
Rilla of Ingleside (1921)
Anne of Windy Poplars (1936)
aka Anne of Windy Willows
Anne of Ingleside (1939)

As you can see, only the first six are in the US public domain, so you should find those easily enough. The last two are still protected by US copyright, although they are in the Canadian public domain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's actually only eight:

Anne of Green Gables (1908)
Anne of Avonlea (1909)
Anne of the Island (1915)
Anne's House of Dreams (1917)
Rainbow Valley (1919)
Rilla of Ingleside (1921)
Anne of Windy Poplars (1936)
aka Anne of Windy Willows
Anne of Ingleside (1939)

As you can see, only the first six are in the US public domain.

Actually, I have no idea how long it takes for something to become public domain. I never really thought about it. What is the rule on that, if you don't mind my asking?

Thank you for the info.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the United States, anything published before 1923 is in the public domain, and anything published after that date is (generally speaking) not.

In Canada, on the other hand, works enter the public domain at the start of the year following the 50th anniversary of the author's death. Lucy Maud Montgomery died in 1942, hence all her work is now in the Canadian public domain.

The later books are in our eBook library here at MR (our servers are in Canada, hence are subject to Canadian copyright law).
Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
In the United States, anything published before 1923 is in the public domain, and anything published after that date is (generally speaking) not.

In Canada, on the other hand, works enter the public domain at the start of the year following the 50th anniversary of the author's death. Lucy Maud Montgomery died in 1942, hence all her work is now in the Canadian public domain.

The later books are in our eBook library here at MR (our servers are in Canada, hence are subject to Canadian copyright law).
Oh. So, we (as in the US) will only ever have the existing "Classics" in Public Domain? Interesting. Thank you for the heads up on the library. I appreciate that.
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The fundamental problem in the US is the huge political lobbying clout of Disney. They started business in 1923, so, you see, if anything more enters the US public domain it will include a certain mouse which Display are keen to keep as their property. Consequently, whenever US copyright terms are in danger of expiring (and the current date is 2019), they "persuade" Congress to extend it for another 20 years or so.

So, while in the rest of the world, new books enter the public domain on 1st Jan each year (eg here in the UK we've just added to the public domain all the works by authors who died during 1940), the US is stuck with a 1923 cutoff date for the public domain, and it looks set to stay that way for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict

That makes sense, from Disney's point of view, that is. They are pretty hard -core about their copyrights. Unfortunately, everybody wants a piece of the pie, regardless of how it affects anyone else.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If you can't find a book on Project Gutenberg, Project Gutenberg Australia or Project Gutenberg Canada will often have it Canada is a Life+50 country.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
If you can't find a book on Project Gutenberg, Project Gutenberg Australia or Project Gutenberg Canada will often have it Canada is a Life+50 country.
Very good to know! Added to my bookmarks. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think I assembled one of these for MobileRead.

You might check MobileRead's Library to see if there are any others. I seem to recall that there are a few listed here.

ADDED: I just checked, and there's a TON OF MONTGOMERY here on MobileRead for your downloading pleasure.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-02-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think I assembled one of these for MobileRead.

You might check MobileRead's Library to see if there are any others. I seem to recall that there are a few listed here.

ADDED: I just checked, and there's a TON OF MONTGOMERY here on MobileRead for your downloading pleasure.

Don
Oh, yes I know! They were in my greedy little hands, well, hard drive shortly after my reading HarryT's post about MR servers!

I downloaded, tagged, sorted and converted the entire set in a very short span of time (thanks to Calibre), and I am a happy happy lady!

Thank you for checking, though. That was very thoughtful.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #12
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
The fundamental problem in the US is the huge political lobbying clout of Disney. They started business in 1923, so, you see, if anything more enters the US public domain it will include a certain mouse which Display are keen to keep as their property. Consequently, whenever US copyright terms are in danger of expiring (and the current date is 2019), they "persuade" Congress to extend it for another 20 years or so.

So, while in the rest of the world, new books enter the public domain on 1st Jan each year (eg here in the UK we've just added to the public domain all the works by authors who died during 1940), the US is stuck with a 1923 cutoff date for the public domain, and it looks set to stay that way for the foreseeable future.

I did not know that. I'm shocked.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #13
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Australia was a life+50 country, but thanks to the a US-Australia trade agreement, Australia switched to life+70 in 2006. Australia won't get any new public domain works until 2026.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:55 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Australia was a life+50 country, but thanks to the a US-Australia trade agreement, Australia switched to life+70 in 2006. Australia won't get any new public domain works until 2026.
You already HAVE though, all the public domain books which most of us will accumulate, year by year, until 2026 .
Old 01-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
The fundamental problem in the US is the huge political lobbying clout of Disney. They started business in 1923, so, you see, if anything more enters the US public domain it will include a certain mouse.
I had no idea this was going on.

I also love the 'Anne' series and already have some of them on ebook thanks to the MR library and it's contributors.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote