Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #16
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobassam View Post
Carmelra, Can I ask what version of Android you ran Aldiko and FBReaderJ on? Thank you.
Android 2.1 and 2.2.1 (Froyo).
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Did you try PocketBook? We even have menu in Hebrew!
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

FBReaderJ for Android test result

TOC looks great.
The words in the text area are displayed properly (every word is readable) but the order of the words is left to right

So, bottom line: It's impossible to read a book with it. This is a disappointment as FBRreader (not the Java version) is working fine with Hebrew.

Attached are screen captures:
pic 1 - TOC looks great!

pic 2 - the words of the text area are displayed in the wrong order.

pic 3 - text is displayed with punctuation marks (which seems to be shifted a little to the left of every character)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.png
Views:	522
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	61427   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.png
Views:	517
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	61428   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.png
Views:	484
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	61429  

Last edited by carmelra; 11-19-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #19
carmelra
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Sure!
PocketBook works great and support Hebrew properly as long as you use the FBReader application (and not the default ADE...).

You can see Kacir's screen captures in his previous post.

Last edited by carmelra; 11-19-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:55 AM   #20
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
If you care to scroll a few post up, I did test the PocketBook for them.
The built-in fbreader is OK.
epub in Adobe Reader is completely, utterly unusable.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #21
carmelra
Zealot

Moon+ Reader for Android test results

I followed the recommendations from the "Android eBook reader clients" thread and tested Moon + Reader.
The results are the best so far for a reading application on Android.

The text is readable.
CSS support is lacking which causes some issues with the text display and affects the reading experience.
Punctuation marks are being displayed a little off the relevant characters (it looks like these marks appear between the chars, a little left to their required location). I wonder if it's the application problem or some problem with the font or with Android devices in general...

Anyway, no reverse lines, no gibberish... Finally, an ebook can be read on an Android device!

In the attached screen captures:
pic1 +2 - Regular text is displayed properly (but css is not supported )

pic3 - Text with punctuation marks. The marks appears a little to the left from the required location and between the characters.

pic5 - TOC. Perfect.

Name:	pic1.png
Views:	795
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	61527

Name:	pic2.png
Views:	659
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	61528

Name:	pic3.png
Views:	551
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	61529

Name:	pic5.png
Views:	594
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	61531
Old 11-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #22
tobassam
tobassam began at the beginning.

Device: Poketbook
Congratulations ! .... and thank you Carmelra!

That's wonderful news, even though I don't understand what CSS is or how it affects the usability of the end solution.

Maybe if you contact the developer to get over any remaining problems with this reader?
tobassam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #23
tobassam

Carmelra, are there any specific settings needed in Moon+ or any fonts added to Android for this to work? Can you detail how you got your testing to work and what Android version was used for it? Thank you.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #24
carmelra
Zealot

Quote:
Congratulations ! .... and thank you Carmelra!

That's wonderful news, even though I don't understand what CSS is or how it affects the usability of the end solution.
CSS affects the way the eBook is being displayed. For example, font size and types (bold, italic etc.). The Moon+ Reader currently display all as plain text which really makes the eBook less readable.

Quote:
Carmelra, are there any specific settings needed in Moon+ or any fonts added to Android for this to work? Can you detail how you got your testing to work and what Android version was used for it? Thank you.
I have no Android device. I received feedback about this application from users with Nexus 1 (Android ver 2.2.1) and with Xperia X10 (Android ver 2.1).
Old 11-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #25
phaedrus
phaedrus began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelra View Post
The Moon+ Reader currently display all as plain text which really makes the eBook less readable.
The current beta appears to have at least some attempt at handling styled text. In an epubl file I'm reading, text which renders as italics in Aldiko consistently appears in boldface when viewed in Moon+ Pro beta. I found this thread searching to see if anyone had seen italics text, or if the bold substitution was some artifact of the particular epub file I was reading.

I'm guessing CSS will be supported in the Pro version, and that all the bugs haven't been worked out yet.
phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #26
carmelra
Zealot

Quote:
Has anyone checked Hebrew support on Sony PRS-505/300 using this custom firmware (supports Hebrew UI): http://ebookapplications.com ?
I tested it and can confirm that it's much better than the original firmware (which displays all text as left to right and therefore it's not readable). In general, it's even possible to read the text. However, there are a few problems that prevent a good reading experience.

Below are a few photos I took (very bad photos, I know...) that demonstrate the current status and issues I found:

1) The main device menu: The text is displayed left to right and therefore it is not readable in Hebrew.

Name:	DeviceMenu.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	61846

2) The book settings menu: The text is displayed left to right and therefore it is not readable in Hebrew.

Name:	BookMenu.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	61847

3) TOC: The text is displayed left to right and therefore it is not readable in Hebrew.

Name:	TOC.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	61848

4) Main Book Reading area: The text is displayed right to left and therefore it is readable. However, it's not reflowing properly. Lines are getting breaking without a real need (you can see it in the photo that a few lines has no period at the end). That's annoying.

Name:	MainTextArea.JPG
Views:	553
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	61849

5) Main Book Reading area - Text with punctuation marks: The punctuations are not being displayed properly. They appear to the left of every relevant character.

Name:	PunctuationsText.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	61850
Old 11-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #27
tobassam

carmelra, great effort. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #28
carmelra
Zealot

iBooks on iPad results:

Hebrew on the iPad looks just great.

The text is displayed perfectly including styles etc. and it's fun to read.

The only problem I found with the iBooks application is that when viewing the book in horizontal mode (two pages view), the pages order is wrong and is displayed left to right. It's annoying.
Another small issue is that the page turn animation is the other way around (it looks like the pages are being turned the "English" way...)

Below are a few screen captures:

1) TOC in Vertical mode

Name:	TOC-2.PNG
Views:	584
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	61984

2) Cover and TOC in horizontal mode. The pages order is left to right which is wrong.

Name:	CoverAndTOC.PNG
Views:	540
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	61985

3) Main text area in vertical mode

Name:	VerticalTextArea.PNG
Views:	535
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	61986

4) Main text area in vertical mode. The text includes punctuations

Name:	VerticalWithPuntuations.PNG
Views:	501
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	61987

5) Main text area in horizontal mode. The pages order is left to right which is wrong.

Name:	HorizontalTextArea.PNG
Views:	507
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	61988
Old 12-07-2010, 01:48 AM   #29
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
What about BeBook Neo ?
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #30
carmelra
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
What about BeBook Neo ?
I sent a request about this issue to BeBook support almost 6 months ago.
The tests results (attached here) were not good. The text was aligned to the left and displayed left to right which made it non readable.

They said they will consider to issue a firmware upgrade about it... I guess they decided not to deal with it.
However, I have no such device and would be happy to get an update about the current status from a BeBook Neo owner.

Name:	2010-04-21 11.39.48.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	62530

Name:	2010-04-21 11.39.56.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	62531