Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #61
Tinwolf
Greasy biker
Tinwolf began at the beginning.

Device: Be-book, Jetbook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I quite enjoyed the movie of Catch-22 and disliked the book thoroughly. Maybe that was because I was forced to read it in Secondary School and it left a bad taste in my mouth.
I think the book is much better than the film, the events in it are just so crazy they could be true which is the appeal of it.
I really do suggest you give it another try.
Tinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #62
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
FInished the Mistborn trilogy. I've enjoyed it very much and the finale was great. I'm looking forward for more Brandon Sanderson's works (although that will take a while, as he is still working in the Wheel of Time series).

Started Inspector Chen.

(I'm still reading some pbooks too, trying to get them all read so that I can go really 100% digital. After months without touchin them, I just have to read them all and put them behind me. )
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #63
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
FInished the Mistborn trilogy. I've enjoyed it very much and the finale was great. I'm looking forward for more Brandon Sanderson's works (although that will take a while, as he is still working in the Wheel of Time series).

Started Inspector Chen.

(I'm still reading some pbooks too, trying to get them all read so that I can go really 100% digital. After months without touchin them, I just have to read them all and put them behind me. )
Inspector Chen is great! I spent a lot of time on Wikipedia looking up all the Chinese/Asian astrology/mythology that's incorporated.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #64
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What do you think I should read next?

David Weber's Off Armageddon Reef

or

Brent Week's The Way of Shadows

or

Daniel Abraham's A Shadow in Summer

?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #65
Over
Wizard

I'm almost finishing Joe Abercrombie's trilogy. Would like some advice what should read next.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #66
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I'm almost finishing Joe Abercrombie's trilogy. Would like some advice what should read next.
Well, I've read Weber's Off Armageddon Reef. If you have read other books by Dave Weber, its a similar writing style. If you haven't, you're opening yourself for a LOOOONG line of other books by the same author.

OAR is an artificially maintained low-tech culture. First you have to buy in to the back story, and why the culture starts and/or needs to stay low tech, but that isn't really any worse than buying into a jump or warp drive. The whole thing sticks together, but Dave is sort of a naval tech guy, and likes to set things up so they read like a variation of historical naval engagements.

His other books include the Honor Harrington series; a fantasy series with wizards and gods and alternate humanoid races; another SF series with different tech that was based on (and maybe also the basis for) the Starfire game system; and several others.

Some people don't like his SF, because he sometimes lets himself indulge in the tech for tech's sake, which can read like an infodump. YMMV.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #67
Over
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
Well, I've read Weber's Off Armageddon Reef. If you have read other books by Dave Weber, its a similar writing style. If you haven't, you're opening yourself for a LOOOONG line of other books by the same author.

OAR is an artificially maintained low-tech culture. First you have to buy in to the back story, and why the culture starts and/or needs to stay low tech, but that isn't really any worse than buying into a jump or warp drive. The whole thing sticks together, but Dave is sort of a naval tech guy, and likes to set things up so they read like a variation of historical naval engagements.

His other books include the Honor Harrington series; a fantasy series with wizards and gods and alternate humanoid races; another SF series with different tech that was based on (and maybe also the basis for) the Starfire game system; and several others.

Some people don't like his SF, because he sometimes lets himself indulge in the tech for tech's sake, which can read like an infodump. YMMV.
Thanks for your input. I don't mind to learn some tech info here and there, as long as it's reasonably accurate. I like the premisse of the book, so I'm leaning to read it next.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #68
Tiburon
Bookhound
Tiburon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
For those of you that do not know. Brandon Sanderson is offering his latest book Warbreaker as a free download from his website. I have only read a few chapters, but so far I am enjoying it.

After reading Mistborn, and how well he pulled of WoT, I can tell Sanderson will be one of the authors I will continue to read for a long time.
Tiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #69
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I would say Pillars of the earth by Ken Follett. One of my favourite books along with the sequel World without end. Only problem is it's hard to put it down once you start reading it.

Pillars of the earth $6.39 on Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Pillars-Earth-ebook/dp/B000UZPI2U

World without end $9.99 on Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/World-Without-.../dp/B000W93CHC

thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #70
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
There was a Catch 22 movie? I had no idea.
One of the "special times" in my coming of age.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote