antxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #947
CaptainCrash
CaptainCrash began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by antxc View Post
Any particular reason why?
I'd say go ahead and do it - sure, there's always a small chance that things won't go according to plan, but going by past performance, it seems you're no less likely to have problems with an "official" Kobo firmware rollout than one you perform yourself manually.

For what it's worth, my own upgrade to 2.1.1 was completely uneventful (in a good way), although it was a slightly tense moment when the dancing squares briefly appeared, given what I've read here previously. I guess the whole process took about ten minutes, although I wasn't timing it.

The main issue for me in 2.0.0 was the slow page turns, which were a constant and unavoidable annoyance, but 2.1.1 seems to have completely fixed this. I've noticed a few more unplanned double-taps, but this may be down to me... perhaps it's just a bit more sensitive now and I simply need to get used to it.
CaptainCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #948
DaMastah
DaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Glo
Go for it.

2.1.1 is a stable release except it's for the japanese kobos which have the exact same hardware as our US/EU Kobos. It features the same languages, has the same menus...

I installed it and everything I see is an improvement over the 2.0.0 version.

I really wonder why they don't release firmwares for all the kobos at the same time, really stupid IMHO.
DaMastah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #949
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Will I have to re-add all my books / lose all my progress markers if I manually install the new firmware?
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #950
AndyBurns
AndyBurns began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo & Touch
Thumbs up Thoughts on 2.x firmware.

Last night I upgraded from 1.9.x to 2.0.0, and then saw the 2.1.1 version, so manually updated to that.

I'm pleased with the removal of advertised books at the bottom of the home screen, quite happy for them to be on the Discover screen instead, seems sensible not to bug users too heavily.

Also like the shelves concept, surprised it doesn't carry though to the Desktop library.

Impressed with the weight/sharpness fine tuning, though the font selection seems to be be reduced rather than increased, a few symbols in chemical formulae seem to be missing (or that could be the fault of sideloaded content) maybe the non-Japanese equivalent of 2.1.x will improve the selection.

Is anyone else seing the message "Network Error. Oops, something happened to your internet connection and we couldn't finish your update."? I do normally run with WiFi turned off for battery life, turning WiFi on stops the message popping up.

Also I'm seeing a few stray pixels left over at the margins when paging on PDF documents.

All in all a good improvement AFAIAC.

Last edited by AndyBurns; 08-28-2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: typo
AndyBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #951
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Will I have to re-add all my books / lose all my progress markers if I manually install the new firmware?
No, the install happens the same way the desktop app would do it. Everything stays the way you left it if you manually update!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #952
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBurns View Post
Is anyone else seing the message "Network Error. Oops, something happened to your internet connection and we couldn't finish your update."? I do normally run with WiFi turned off for battery life, turning WiFi on stops the message popping up.
No haven't seen that, weird... Are you sure it's finished syncing when you turn your WiFi off?
Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #953
AndyBurns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
No haven't seen that, weird... Are you sure it's finished syncing when you turn your WiFi off?
Yes, after the first time I though maybe I was too quick, so I turned WiFi back on, performed a sync and waited until it said 'sync complete'.

It displays the error each time I start to read a kepub (but not an epub or pdf) or when returning to the home screen (from a kepub but again not an epub or pdf).

So it would seem like it's rather too eager to update bookmarks or something (I have all the Reading Life/Awards settings turned off).
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #954
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just updated. Went fine. Page turns seem much faster. Unfortunately loading the ToC still seems glacially slow to me (why isn't this cached??)

Is the stretch fullscreen sleep cover on/off option new?

Also all the icons now appear to be anti-aliased where before I'm pretty sure they weren't, which is a nice subtle improvement.

Last edited by stewacide; 08-28-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #955
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
No, the install happens the same way the desktop app would do it. Everything stays the way you left it if you manually update!
Actually, that's not quite true. The desktop application can do other things as part of the upgrade. At the very least, if there is a database change, it will do upgrade that when it copies the new firmware files over. If this isn't needed, then copying the files over is enough. But, if factory reset is needed at some time, this will restore a very old version of the database. The desktop application will be needed to update the database before the newer firmware is installed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #956
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBurns View Post
So it would seem like it's rather too eager to update bookmarks or something (I have all the Reading Life/Awards settings turned off).
How annoying! I hope they get rid of that quickly... Wouldn't want them to force people to have WiFi on to get rid of the error and then have loads of fun recommended nonsense fill up everything. Sigh. I'll just stick to epubs.

Quote:
Just updated. Went fine.
Congrats!
Quote:
Yes it is, but it's default (on) is the same "stretch" as before... In other words, switching it off just makes the covers (even) smaller...
Old 08-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #957
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Actually, that's not quite true. The desktop application can do other things as part of the upgrade. At the very least, if there is a database change, it will do upgrade that when it copies the new firmware files over. If this isn't needed, then copying the files over is enough. But, if factory reset is needed at some time, this will restore a very old version of the database. The desktop application will be needed to update the database before the newer firmware is installed.
Oops thanks for the correction. How does that work then if you were to update via WiFi, downloading the new files directly onto the KT?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #958
stewacide
Groupie

Still no italics support in Avenir. Why could they ship fonts lacking such basic features??
Old 08-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #959
AndyBurns

Quote:
Yes, but I still prefer to have the smiley face white sleep and black powered off screens

Quote:
Also all the icons now appear to be anti-aliased
I'm not sure whether they were or not before, the sync icon in the settings pop-up is a little rough.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #960
AndyBurns

Quote:
How annoying! I hope they get rid of that quickly...
I tried re-connecting to my WiFi, that didn't help, but a quick power off/on rather than just using sleep seems to have stopped it doing it, perhaps it didn't think it had finished the firmware update?