Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 05:06 AM   #31
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
I've got to the link and, google translating it, the description says "High contrast Pearl E-Ink display with 16 shades of gray shades". So, it *has* Pearl screen. http://www.bol.com/nl/p/bebook-pure/...ct_description

Any difference is in your mind.
The description on the Bebook site does not claim it is a Pearl screen. http://mybebook.com/6-inch-ereaders/...duct_info.html

The Pure I have does not look like a Pearl screen and I do have a Pearl screen reader to compare it to.

I notice that the Bol site also has the price very wrong and also claims it will take a 32gb sd card. I think they might have made a few mistakes there.

However, just to please you, I will get the official word on it later.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #32
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have had it confirmed from Bebook that this is NOT a Pearl screen. They had noticed the Bol page as well. It seems Bol have made up the specs (and the price).
Old 08-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #33
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Sorry but you know this how? Nothing like being objective is there.

Oh and it is £79. You forgot the VAT.
OK my bad about the price, used to seeing vat included all the time and I stand corrected, still pretty cheap tho.

As to being better, it has a touchscreen, it has a proper eink pearl screen (which is debatable with the bebook) and that's just for starters.

And take it easy with the rolleyes, I'm happy to discuss and debate in a positive way, but if you need to resort to sarcasm and negativity I'll stop taking part in this discussion with you.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #34
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
For some people a touch screen or wireles conn would be just a power wasting addon, so "better" is subjective.
The less features one doesn't use is built in the less possibilities some subsystem you never needed breaks down rendering the device wholly useless.
De gustibus non est disputandum.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #35
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
More (useless) features means shorter battery life unless you can hardware-off them which is not common in portable devices.

Considering how long the latest generation Nooks and Kindle last, I don't think that battery life is a big issue. Heck, the basic Kindle even has the same basic physical format as the Pure.

I am not saying the Pure is a bad product... given my aversion of Amazon, if it had had a Pearl screen it might have made it to the top of my list as my next reader (when my trusty PRS-505 dies).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #36
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
As to being better, it has a touchscreen, [the Kobo Touch] has a proper eink pearl screen (which is debatable with the bebook) and that's just for starters.
Actually, I think the greatest weakness of the Kobo Touch is that the touch screen is essentially the only way to control the unit.

Some people like to read in the bath, for them a touch screen reader means the classic of just dropping your reader into a ziplock bag may not be an adequate solution to allow them to read in the bath.

--
Bill
Old 08-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #37
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Actually, I think the greatest weakness of the Kobo Touch is that the touch screen is essentially the only way to control the unit.
Some people like to read in the bath, for them a touch screen reader means the classic of just dropping your reader into a ziplock bag may not be an adequate solution to allow them to read in the bath.
I guess that is purely a POV, I wouldn't want an ereader without a touchscreen and less buttons means a smaller Ereader and more realestate for the screen.
You can buy covers for the KT that allow you to read it in a bath with NPS if you really want to.
TBH even with no touchscreen and buttons, I wouldn't be using an ereader in a bath anyway, it could be dropped easily and all that steam/moisture can't be good for it in the longterm, unless you get a waterproof cover for it, which is available on the KT as well.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #38
danskmacabre
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
For some people a touch screen or wireles conn would be just a power wasting addon, so "better" is subjective.
The less features one doesn't use is built in the less possibilities some subsystem you never needed breaks down rendering the device wholly useless.
De gustibus non est disputandum.
I get 3 weeks out of my Kobo Touch, which is ages and it's pretty reliable as well.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #39
Stormchild
Evangelist

Quote:
OK my bad about the price, used to seeing vat included all the time and I stand corrected, still pretty cheap tho.

As to being better, it has a touchscreen, it has a proper eink pearl screen (which is debatable with the bebook) and that's just for starters.

And take it easy with the rolleyes, I'm happy to discuss and debate in a positive way, but if you need to resort to sarcasm and negativity I'll stop taking part in this discussion with you.
You own a Kobo. You come and post on a thread about the new Bebook Pure, without ever seeing one and try to tell us how the Kobo is better. In your opinion a touch screen is better, personally I don't think it is having had both touchscreen and normal screen. Also, the touchscreen reduces the clarity of the E-ink screen so there is probably little difference between the Kobo and the Pure. It is certainly the clearest normal e-ink screen out of the 8 I have had.
Now if you want to discuss the Pure then fine.
If you want to just tell us how much better the Kobo is then I think I can live without that discussion.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #40
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
I guess that is purely a POV, I wouldn't want an ereader without a touchscreen and less buttons means a smaller Ereader and more realestate for the screen.
Yes, the reader is smaller... but I don't find the PRS-505 I currently use to be too big either. Unless it is small enough to fit in my shirt pocket, I don't really see much advantage in going smaller than that. As for more real estate for the screen.... huh? They all have exactly the same size screen.

Quote:
You can buy covers for the KT that allow you to read it in a bath with NPS if you really want to.
$15 to buy the cover... or $0.25 for a ziplock.

Quote:
TBH even with no touchscreen and buttons, I wouldn't be using an ereader in a bath anyway, it could be dropped easily and all that steam/moisture can't be good for it in the longterm, unless you get a waterproof cover for it, which is available on the KT as well.
Once it is in the Ziplock, it is protected pretty effectively against steam and moisture. I suspect my reader gets exposed to more moisture when I use it on the exercise bike than when I use it in the tub.

In any case, I am not saying those who choose an all touch screen reader are making the wrong choice. But for some, I think there is still definite utility in having a reader that uses buttons.

--
Bill
Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #41
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I would rather have physical buttons for turning pages. That's one thing I miss on the Kobo Touch. (Of course, when I then go back to my Kindle (Keyboard) I try to turn pages by touching the screen.)

In that respect, the downside of the Bebook Pure looks to be that the page turn buttons are only on one side.

The wifi has never worked properly on my Kobo, and the latest firmware is a backward step. I quite like it physically, but if I was picking again I'd want to at least look at some alternatives.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #42
Stormchild
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Thanks, Stormchild. Can you comment on display choices - fonts, font sizes, line spacing, margins etc? Can you sideload fonts?
How does the button-pageturning feel over time?
Fonts. I have asked the question about adding our own Fonts but have not heard back yet.
Currently the options in Mobi are:
Font Size which ranges from small to XXXL in 6 steps. Good enough if a little basic.
Font type at the moment is limited to a default font or a serif font. Perfectly acceptable although it would be nice to add custom fonts and I could get Gentium back.
Line spacing is 6 pixels, small or medium. The smallest at 6 pixels is a little large for me. Hopefully something that can be sorted in an update.
Finally the margin can be small, medium or large. Small is just right.
Other options are Rotate Screen, Bookmark,ToC, GotoPage, Search, Rotate Screen, Add to Favorites and Auto Flip. The last gives you several timings at which the book can turn the page. Something a friend of mine with MS may find very useful.

Epub is the same minus the Font option only using the built in font. Something for an future update.

FB2, Txt, HTML, the same as Mobi.

PDF has the added option of Text Only Reflow on or Off. With reflow on it reads graphically heavy PDF's much better, as expected.

Page turning has two options. There are 2 buttons on the right side much like the Kindle and the navigation ring at the bottom can be used. My preference so far is the side buttons. They are nice to use and give a satisfying soft click. I see no reason why they will not last for a long time. In fact the whole thing has a good feel to it build quality wise. Better than the Onyx models IMO.
My Kindle owning Grandson liked it better, My daughters loved it and want one. My Wife thought it very pretty.

I expect some of the options can and will be improved with a firmware update. I will certainly be passing some of my comments back to Bebook. On the whole though, I am very impressed. After only one day of proper use I can already see my Club S staying in the draw with the other readers.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:12 AM   #43
danskmacabre
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
You own a Kobo. You come and post on a thread about the new Bebook Pure, without ever seeing one and try to tell us how the Kobo is better. In your opinion a touch screen is better, personally I don't think it is having had both touchscreen and normal screen. Also, the touchscreen reduces the clarity of the E-ink screen so there is probably little difference between the Kobo and the Pure. It is certainly the clearest normal e-ink screen out of the 8 I have had.
Now if you want to discuss the Pure then fine.
If you want to just tell us how much better the Kobo is then I think I can live without that discussion.
The KT doesn't have a touchscreen layer at all, it uses sensors on the side of the KT so the clarity is not affected at all.

I can discuss alternative (and price comparative) options to the Bebook pure if I want, if you don't like that then just don't reply and we'll both be happy.
SOME people might actually appreciate the comparison.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #44
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
The KT doesn't have a touchscreen layer at all, it uses sensors on the side of the KT so the clarity is not affected at all.
Except by the fingerprints.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #45
danskmacabre
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Except by the fingerprints.
Which is completely different to the discussion about a touchscreen layer.

But addressing your point anyway, it has a matt type finish on the KT and in MY experiences it's never been an issue at all with visibility.
Other people's experiences may vary I suppose depending on their level of personal hygiene.