Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
jeczmien
Enthusiast
jeczmien began at the beginning.

Device: none/Hanlin V3/Nokia E50
New update 2008-01-29

I've noticed new update for V3:

1.Add epub format support
2.Improve the save method of chm page center
3.Improve the About interface

EPUB format!!!!

I wonder if it supports Kindle files...

I've noticed that they modify file name convention - now direct link to update is:

http://61.181.14.185:8088/RetailWeb/...5-20080128.rar

Last edited by jeczmien; 01-29-2008 at 01:50 AM.
jeczmien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:06 AM   #2
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeczmien View Post

1.Add epub format support
2.Improve the save method of chm page center
3.Improve the About interface

EPUB format!!!!

I've noticed that they modify file name convention - now direct link to update is:

Well that's a nice surprise, especially as I asked Jinke last week when we could expect a new update to address outstanding issues. Their respond was not until halfway Februari. Nice to see the ePub support. I hope though that issues on already existing formats get attention as well though.
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
Trono
Enthusiast
Trono began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
problems

Quote:

--------

My first attempt at updating - but can't make it work. Tried from Jinke's service page (clicking "Download" generates loading of empty page) and by clicking your .rar-link directly (leads to failed opening of page, with an eventual message saying "loading page takes too long" - and referring to 61.181.14.185).

Me probably being stupid - grateful for clarifying answers.
Trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

EPUB format!!!

Why would you think EPUB support has anything to do with Kindle files? Kindle uses MobiPocket format with modified DRM. I suspect the ePuB support is based on FBReader.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Almabo
Almabo began at the beginning.

Device: Apollo v3 (Hanlim v3)
You can download the new firmware version from the lbook russian website.
I've used google to translate it at the next link:

http://www.google.es/translate?u=htt...&hl=es&ie=UTF8
Almabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:43 AM   #6
jeczmien
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Why would you think EPUB support has anything to do with Kindle files? Kindle uses MobiPocket format with modified DRM. I suspect the ePuB support is based on FBReader.

Dale
My mistake. I thought it is Kindle format.

Have you noticed that Jinkie implements only formats whose code can be found freely on the net? It looks like they only "customize" and embed software.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Have you noticed that Jinkie implements only formats whose code can be found freely on the net? It looks like they only "customize" and embed software.
Well, yes. The much-requested Mobipocket support has still not arrived. To be fair, though, customizing an existing software for an open format to work on their device is bound to be much easier than implementing something like DRM'd Mobipocket, as long as the freely available reference implementation for the new format is reasonably well-written.

But then, at least they are publishing updates to their firmware with bugfixes and new features - including new e-book formats - on a regular basis.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
My mistake. I thought it is Kindle format.

Actually they steal GPL-ed software and embed it without giving source code modifications back: http://openinkpot.org/wiki/BinariesLicenseInvestigation

You might want to threat European Jinke resellers to comply with GPL , but it's useless - Jinke can't grasp GPL and won't release their firmware source code, and european resellers don't have source code at all.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
basshead
basshead began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin v3
Just received my V3 today. Came installed with firmware 1.24.071116.
Downloaded this update & extracted the .bin file to the root directory of the SD card.
Used the Settings - System Update menu but get the message "No update file!" at the bottom of the screen.
Have I done the procedure correctly? Any help appreciated.

Cheers
basshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 AM   #10
jeczmien
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead View Post
Used the Settings - System Update menu but get the message "No update file!" at the bottom of the screen.
Have I done the procedure correctly? Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Forget about this option.

First of all - you need SD card 1GB or smaller.
Put extracted update in root directory and turn V3 off.
Then hold Volume+ button (upper button on RIGHT side) and press power on.
It should enter update software - then press OK button and wait.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:54 AM   #11
basshead
basshead began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin v3
Many Thx Jeczmien!

Followed your directions & worked like a dream.
basshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:01 AM   #12
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Arrow Updating Firmware on Lbook / Hanlin V3

Ah, yes! Thanks, jeczmien !

For people without working basis of russian or chinese and with no experience of the device this is basic but existential knowlegde.

And fiddling around with a firmware update blindly gives you always a bad feeling, we dont want to brick anything, he?

(Mind you, I came as far as the keyboard test - wrong keys for the update process though ... )

Last edited by beachwanderer; 06-18-2008 at 04:02 AM. Reason: typo
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote