Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
sunlifeng
Enthusiast
sunlifeng doesn't littersunlifeng doesn't litter

Device: Kindle touch,EE
coolreader for EE

Works on my EE Ermine rooted. There should be many bugs .It's just a test for writing eink on EE .
Attached Files
File Type: zip CoolReader.zip (3.07 MB, 348 views)
sunlifeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlifeng View Post
Works on my EE Ermine rooted. There should be many bugs .It's just a test for writing eink on EE .
Are you saying that you have modified CoolReader to work on the e-ink screen?

I've been running CoolReader an the LCD screen almost since Buggins released the Android version.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Hi sunlifeng,

Congratulations, it works, great stuff !!!

As you said, there are some problems (for me they are related to the turning of pages) but the display on the e-ink side is full screen and perfect.

(I had to manually change the permissions of /dev/graphics/fb2 to R+W for everybody to make it work ...)

Would it be possible to do the same for a djvu reader like VuDroid or Orion Viewer ? This would be absolutely crucial for me as converting those files is a mess. Could you kindly provide instructions on what to do ?

(Something else further down on my wishlist would be to get the PDF viewer by javese working on the EE in order to use his full-screen PDFviewer).
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
sunlifeng
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Are you saying that you have modified CoolReader to work on the e-ink screen?

I've been running CoolReader an the LCD screen almost since Buggins released the Android version.
Yes, it works on e-ink screen . But break the lcd screen ,they did not have the same size . You can try it .
Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
sunlifeng
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
Hi sunlifeng,

Congratulations, it works, great stuff !!!

As you said, there are some problems (for me they are related to the turning of pages) but the display on the e-ink side is full screen and perfect.

(I had to manually change the permissions of /dev/graphics/fb2 to R+W for everybody to make it work ...)

Would it be possible to do the same for a djvu reader like VuDroid or Orion Viewer ? This would be absolutely crucial for me as converting those files is a mess. Could you kindly provide instructions on what to do ?

(Something else further down on my wishlist would be to get the PDF viewer by javese working on the EE in order to use his full-screen PDFviewer).
I remember I had write root access code in it , but When I try on my EE there no. I will add it next time to avoid change permission .
I had notice turning problem .But CoolReader is a bit big program ,I need time to solve the problem .
I will try Orion Viewer or VuDriod next Friday. I did not have the broad band till then .
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

thanks a lot, looking forward to that!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
teledyn
teledyn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: enTourage Pocket eDGe
Runs on the PE, but does not 'work'

As a fan of CoolReader on my cellphone, I thought I'd give it a try on the PE, and while it did install and load up an epub, my results were not quite useful, but still very close

Please understand that this is just my observations, not complaints I didn't expect it to run at all, but I thought I might try and send in my results just in case it is useful for improving the program. If things cannot be fixed for the PE, I don't mind

The first problem was with the page size, in Page mode in portrait view, the page boundaries do not line up with the LCD screen, the left page is cut off on the right margin, the right page is cut off even more so on the left. I tried changing font sizes and page margins, but I'm guessing the app is fixed to the dimensions of the EE screen and so there is no way to adjust it for the smaller PE screen.

In landscape view, the view is not clipped, but the page mode only goes from the top of one page to the top of the next, it will not scroll down to show the remaining screen below the bottom of the viewport screen. In scroll mode however, documents can be read quite nicely.

I wasn't able to to figure out how to switch to the eink screen -- the program did ask me for root permissions which I granted (I am running Ermine) and it keeps repeating the message that it is granted root permissions, but I'm not sure how I would tell the program to use the eink side.
teledyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlifeng View Post
Yes, it works on e-ink screen . But break the lcd screen ,they did not have the same size . You can try it .
Since I rely on it on the LCD screen - I use both e-ink and LCD very often on the same manual but different pages, at the same time - I will have to forgo trying it because I can't loose the use of it on the LCD.

If you can get it to work with both screens and also allow notations to be made on the e-ink side then it becomes a useful tool.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
sunlifeng
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledyn View Post
As a fan of CoolReader on my cellphone, I thought I'd give it a try on the PE, and while it did install and load up an epub, my results were not quite useful, but still very close

Please understand that this is just my observations, not complaints I didn't expect it to run at all, but I thought I might try and send in my results just in case it is useful for improving the program. If things cannot be fixed for the PE, I don't mind

The first problem was with the page size, in Page mode in portrait view, the page boundaries do not line up with the LCD screen, the left page is cut off on the right margin, the right page is cut off even more so on the left. I tried changing font sizes and page margins, but I'm guessing the app is fixed to the dimensions of the EE screen and so there is no way to adjust it for the smaller PE screen.

In landscape view, the view is not clipped, but the page mode only goes from the top of one page to the top of the next, it will not scroll down to show the remaining screen below the bottom of the viewport screen. In scroll mode however, documents can be read quite nicely.

I wasn't able to to figure out how to switch to the eink screen -- the program did ask me for root permissions which I granted (I am running Ermine) and it keeps repeating the message that it is granted root permissions, but I'm not sure how I would tell the program to use the eink side.
Thanks for try , This one is for EE , not works on pe . Your can try fbreaderj edited by javese . I am working on error but I am newbie in android developing so it's slow
Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
sunlifeng
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Since I rely on it on the LCD screen - I use both e-ink and LCD very often on the same manual but different pages, at the same time - I will have to forgo trying it because I can't loose the use of it on the LCD.

If you can get it to work with both screens and also allow notations to be made on the e-ink side then it becomes a useful tool.
If I change the package name, it can installed without touch origin coolreader.
What you want is what I want .
Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
fekhner
Addict

Quote:

I was not able to so either at first, but from playing with javese's fbreader for e-ink and full-screen pdf, using send to e-ink
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153653
the only way I could get something to show on the e-ink side was by first (using ghost commander) changing permissions of /dev/graphics/fb2 to r+w for everybody and then opening any pdf file on the e-ink side before trying starting coolreader for e-ink

Quote:
I am newbie in android developing so it's slow
For a newbie you are doing great, wish I was a newbie like that !

even if changing package names does not work to have both run in parallel (it did not seem to work for fbreader(J) by javese, or did it ?) there is indeed still the possibility to play between fb and coolreader.

to summarize, to have the best of both worlds:

for the PE you can have fbreader by javese for the e-ink
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=javese
replacing fbreaderJ which you can get from obsessed2's sticky
and coolreader from the same post for the lcd side

for the EE, coolreader from this post for e-ink and fbreaderJ from obsessed2's post for lcd
Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #12
Burgher
Connoisseur
Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage eDGe
Wow! That's the greatest news about full-sized EE since the release of Ermine! Finally some tweak that's not PE-only. So I'll have to root. What should I start with?
Burgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
pmbroth
pmbroth began at the beginning.

Device: entourage ee and pe
Not workign on EE on EInk

Hello I have the EE and it is rooted. I checked the dev/graphics/fb.. and they are rw. When installing the program I'm asked to grant root access and grant it. When loading the program it comes up on the lcd side only, and as others said the text is off the screen.

I want to comend you on your new programming skills, and let you know what I have found so far. Thank you.
pmbroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
fekhner
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbroth View Post
Hello I have the EE and it is rooted. I checked the dev/graphics/fb.. and they are rw. When installing the program I'm asked to grant root access and grant it. When loading the program it comes up on the lcd side only, and as others said the text is off the screen.

I want to comend you on your new programming skills, and let you know what I have found so far. Thank you.
But they are only rw for root and graphic not for others, what i did with ghost commnder in root and rw mode is to change all of them to allow everything for fb2 (this might be stupid though so no guarantee ) it did not work with root explorer and i needed several tries until all showed rwx, good luck!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
fekhner
Addict

Also do open some other file on the e-ink side before you open coolreader