Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2023, 01:40 PM   #1
Vlash
Banned
Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Can PW3 5.15.1 be jailbroken using the serial port hack?

I have a Kindle that I bought already on a high firmware. It's been sitting on my closet for a good while now.

I know that in the past you could hack Kindles that were above the softmod firmware limit by disassembling it and using a serial interface found in the motherboard.

I wonder if that'd be possible to do this if you're on 5.15.1

Thanks.
Vlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:12 PM   #2
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlash View Post
I have a Kindle that I bought already on a high firmware. It's been sitting on my closet for a good while now.

I know that in the past you could hack Kindles that were above the softmod firmware limit by disassembling it and using a serial interface found in the motherboard.

I wonder if that'd be possible to do this if you're on 5.15.1

Thanks.
You could do a serial port jailbreak on your device but this one is probably easier and requires less equipment.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2023, 02:54 AM   #3
Lorand
Lorand began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw5
And for PW5? Just curious
Lorand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:50 AM   #4
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
PW5 doesn't have serial port contacts.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:28 AM   #5
Vlash
Banned
Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
You could do a serial port jailbreak on your device but this one is probably easier and requires less equipment.
Thanks a lot. I wonder whether there's a hotfix for FW 5.15.1, because people in that thread appear to only mention a hotfix working for up to 5.14.3
Advert
Old 02-03-2023, 02:02 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's been repackaged to deal with the silent 5.15.1 re-release since.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 03:24 PM   #7
Vlash
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's been repackaged to deal with the silent 5.15.1 re-release since.
It worked great, thanks!
Kindle Jailbroken already, I posted my experience on the thread linked above.

One discovery I made is that you don't need the USB cable connected to boot into SDP mode. You can just restart the kindle while holding the testpoint, then connect the cable later, it will work just fine and is much easier.