Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Where do you buy your Ebooks from?

I just got my red 505 today, and I have a lot of books in LIT format (converting them a little at a time), but I would like to know where people everyone buys their books from. I am sure that not everyone is sticking with the Sony store.

I also seem to remember that there is a price comparison site for ebooks also, but I forgot the website. Anyone remember that too?
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I won't buy another book from Sony until they make their switch to ePub (I can't stand BBeB books). Thankfully, there are plenty of places to buy ePubs from. Books on Board, Waterstones (UK), and WHSmith (UK) are the ones I've used so far. The price comparison website is ebookprice.info.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Books On Board, Fictionwise, Amazon, Webscriptions & Diesel.

http://www.ebookprice.info/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
itzmeigh
Enthusiast
itzmeigh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I have been fine with Sony's site so far. Maybe I should try some others...
itzmeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have gotten many eBooks from the Sony site. I have not had any problems with them. In fact they look much better then any books I got with ADE! They have several free books. Check them out and see if you are happy with the formatting! http://ebookstore.sony.com/category/bargain-priced
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
On top of the ones that have been mentioned: Baen
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

THanks for all the great replies folks, I showed a friend my 505 today and he was real interested. His only concern was finding Ebooks to replace his hardcopy books (a little ata time). I told him I would would ask here. He is a big SciFi and Fantasy reader like I am.

I assume Baen and maybe fictionwise offer the largest selection of Authors and series in this category.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Books On Board, Fictionwise, Amazon, Webscriptions & Diesel.

http://www.ebookprice.info/
You mention Amazon, but I thought they only sold in a Kindle format. Am I mistaken?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thafrogggg View Post
You mention Amazon, but I thought they only sold in a Kindle format. Am I mistaken?
Nope you're not. I have both and Kindle format (the ones I buy anyway) is the same as Mobipocket and the same process for getting Kindle books into other formats applies.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:22 AM   #10
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel

Ok, so I purchase it, caliber it, and send it to my 505.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Sony seems to have the best prices for their ebooks. Is there a site with a good selection of epubs?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
Sony seems to have the best prices for their ebooks. Is there a site with a good selection of epubs?
Best selection of epubs would probably be Books On Board (of course Sony will be switching their store to that sometime too).
Old 09-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
wawaweewa
wawaweewa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Scribd before they turned mainstream and had to take down unauthorized material.

Funny thing is their strategy was pretty obvious. They allowed unauthorized material in order to attract users. Once it got to where they wanted it they took down most of the copyrighted stuff.

Scribd back in the day was golden.

Ebooks are still way, way overpriced if you consider the actual cost of producing them (royalty, fees, support, etc.). The margin on ebooks is still gigantic.
wawaweewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by thafrogggg View Post
I would like to know where people everyone buys their books from.
201 Books from Mobipocket - now converted to ePUB.
100 Books from beam-ebooks.de - DRM free ePUB .
3 Books from Fictionwise - also converted to ePUB.
5 books from Smashwords - downloaded in 3 formats.

Note that the 3 digits numbers contain subscriptions.

Martin

Last edited by krischik; 09-12-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: forgot beam
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I have of late mostly been reading free books. I get them here at MobileRead, Feedbooks, Project Gutenberg (gutenberg.org), Smashwords and Google Books (books.google.com). Check Google Books last, because they are the worst, formatting-wise.

Last edited by Superlucky; 09-12-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote