Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Magysty
Magysty began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Problem with uninstalling to upgrade

I apparently have a version of Calibre so old that I have to uninstall my version to download and install the new one. Problem is, not everything got uninstalled, and I can't delete the folder, like the instructions say.

I can still find the "uninstall.exe" file in the program, and when I hit it, I get an Application Error. Under "details" it says:

Quote:
Error in action ExecuteAction

Error in action UninstallSelectedFiles

couldn't open "C:/Program Files/calibre/uninstall.exe": permission denied
while executing
":pen $filename $access $permissions"
(procedure "miniarc:pen" line 64)
invoked from within
"miniarc:pen crap $filename a"
(procedure "installkit::addfiles" line 2)
invoked from within
"installkit::addfiles $conf(uninstall) $files $names"
(procedure "::InstallJammer::StoreLogsInUninstall" line 25)
invoked from within
"::InstallJammer::StoreLogsInUninstall"
(procedure "::InstallJammer::CleanupInstallInfoDirs" line 59)
invoked from within
"::InstallJammer::CleanupInstallInfoDirs"
(procedure "::InstallJammer::actions::UninstallSelectedFi les" line 336)
invoked from within
"::InstallJammer::actions::$component $this"
while executing
"$obj execute"
(procedure "::InstallJammer::ExecuteActions" line 62)
invoked from within
"::InstallJammer::ExecuteActions $action -parent $id -conditions $eval"
(procedure "::InstallJammer::actions::ExecuteAction" line 35)
invoked from within
Error in action ExecuteAction

Error in action UninstallSelectedFiles

couldn't open "C:/Program Files/calibre/uninstall.exe": permission denied
while executing
":pen $filename $access $permissions"
(procedure "miniarc:pen" line 64)
invoked from within
"miniarc:pen crap $filename a"
(procedure "installkit::addfiles" line 2)
invoked from within
"installkit::addfiles $conf(uninstall) $files $names"
(procedure "::InstallJammer::StoreLogsInUninstall" line 25)
invoked from within
"::InstallJammer::StoreLogsInUninstall"
(procedure "::InstallJammer::CleanupInstallInfoDirs" line 59)
invoked from within
"::InstallJammer::CleanupInstallInfoDirs"
(procedure "::InstallJammer::actions::UninstallSelectedFi les" line 336)
invoked from within
while executing
"$obj execute"
invoked from within
"::InstallJammer::ExecuteActions $action -parent $id -conditions $eval"
(procedure "::InstallJammer::actions::ExecuteAction" line 35)
invoked from within
while executing
"$obj execute"
invoked from within
"::InstallJammer::ExecuteActions $id -when $when"
(procedure "::InstallJammer::RaiseEventHandler" line 79)
invoked from within
"::InstallJammer::RaiseEventHandler .wizard"
(command bound to event)
I have tried deleting the undeletable files one by one--but they tell me Access Denied and won't delete. I can MOVE them--but only into the main Program Files folder, so I can delete the calibre folder after I move everything, but about half the files will still be on my system. Is this going to cause problems?

I'm trying to do what I've been told to do, but it won't do it. Now what???

Also--I do not have much computer savvy, so I need a simple explanation. Thx.
Magysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you still have the Unistall, you could try Right-Clicking and select Run as Administrator.

The normal way to Uninstall is via the Add/Remove programs option on the Control Panel. That should automatically run the Unistall with the appropriate permissions.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Magysty

I ran the uninstall from the Add/Remove programs. It ran it, and then gave me that error message. When I looked in the Program Files, the folder and about half the files were still there, including the uninstalll.exe file. However, when I went back through Add/Remove, it insisted that there was no Calibre program.

Also, if I'm not already Administrator on this computer, since I'm the only one who uses it, I'm not sure how to make myself Admin. (LOW computer knowledge.)
Old 11-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 then you never run as Adminstrator (even if you are one) by default. To run something as Administrator you have to right-click it and select the "Run as Administrator" option.

You could probably get away with simply deleting the Calibre folder under Program Files if you cannot get rid of it any other way.

Note that with the latest Windows releases of Calibre if you want to install it under Program Files you need to select the "Advanced" rather than the "Install" option after accepting the GPL license.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Magysty

Quote:
You could probably get away with simply deleting the Calibre folder under Program Files if you cannot get rid of it any other way.
That's the problem. It won't let me delete the folder, or the files remaining after the Uninstall gave me the error message.

I have Windows XP, and I am the administrator. I found where to check that. I can MOVE the files I can't delete, but that's it. I'm a little afraid to try installing the new version of Calibre after moving the files...
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

I would try moving the files and then reboot the system. It sounds as though something has them open - if you move them and reboot this should clear such an issue.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magysty View Post
That's the problem. It won't let me delete the folder, or the files remaining after the Uninstall gave me the error message.

I have Windows XP, and I am the administrator. I found where to check that. I can MOVE the files I can't delete, but that's it. I'm a little afraid to try installing the new version of Calibre after moving the files...
Sounds like an "file ownership" problem.
Read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421 and see if it helps.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
Magysty

Thanks y'all. I'll give that a whirl and see what happens.

G