Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 04:32 AM   #1
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Dead PRS-500?

After switching on my PRS-500 from standby the other day, it said that the battery was empty when the previous day was at 2 lines out of 4. Anyway, after a few hours of recharging by plugging it to the mains, I switched it on again. It froze at "Starting Up..." screen.
I restarted it by simple pinhole resetting. Still frozen.
Then followed the instructions for "How to revert to factory settings" from the Wiki. No luck, there was no "Page" button lightning blue for me.
Next, I tried resetting ten times by simple pinhole resetting (not in the Wiki, but found it searching the forum). No luck either.
Then, I tried "Recovering From Catastrophic Failure (Unbricking)" from the Wiki. It would stay at "Updating Firmware" for a good fifteen minutes.
Then decided to let the battery drain slowly so it would shut down completely. After two days, I got fed up of waiting and gave it a good recharge through the night. The message changed to something like "Bad firmware upgrade, try again".
Just in case, I also tried the Universal Flasher 2.1 from igorsk. It would not even load, as it does not have anything to load from.

I have had my PRS-500 for three years (thanks to geekraver!), and I am still perfectly happy with its functionality. Does anyone have any ideas to recover it from the dead?
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Since you got into the firmware update mode, you now have to run the firmware updater.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
lordvetinari2
Zealot

Thanks for your help, igorsk!

In fact, I already tried the firmware update as part of the "Recovering From Catastrophic Failure (Unbricking)" procedure from the Wiki.
The updater does not recognize the Reader even though it is fully charged and its drivers are installed (i.e. it is recognized by Windows). The Reader displays "Updating Firmware Now" as soon as it is plugged in the USB port, but stays there forever until I unplug it, when it says "Firmware update incomplete, try again".
I tried this on a Windows7 machine and on a Windows XP one, no luck.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Do2Do2
Do2Do2 is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500
Hi,

I'd a similar problem like you but I managed to sort it out. The way I done it is like that.
1- I connected the reader to another computer running win XP
2- First, the computer did not recognize the reader but after I installed the CONNECT which is included in the original CD, the computer was able to see the reader.
3- Run the PRS-500 Updater 1.0.03.07.170 and this should restore it back.

Good luck!
Essam
Do2Do2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
lordvetinari2
Zealot

Hello Do2Do2:

I tried that on a virtualised XP machine. Windows recognised the Reader as a device, Connect noticed that "something" was connected, but failed to recognise it as a Reader and named it "Error". The firmware update did not start.

I will try with a non-virtualised XP machine next week, see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help!
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
lordvetinari2
Zealot

Thanks Do2Do2!

I had tried with both the PRS-500 drivers inside Calibre and with the latest Connect version, but the FW Updater would not recognise my Reader. Now, I tried with the original Connect version that came with my PRS-500, and the FW Updater recognised and updated my Reader just fine. It's alive!!!

And now I have updated the Wiki with this information.

Last edited by lordvetinari2; 10-24-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Update Wiki notice