Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
Filmbrain
Connoisseur
Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
How to have Pocket show up under "News & Magazines"?

Hello all --

Recently bought an Aura HD, and I love it.

I'm using Calibre, naturally, and I have a question regarding Pocket.

On my previous reader, Sony PRS-T1, when I synced it automatically registered my Pocket as a newspaper (or periodical, I forget what terminology they used), but on the Aura HD it shows up just as a regular book. Is there any way to classify it so that it shows up under "News & Magazines" on the Aura?

thanks!
Filmbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmbrain View Post
Hello all --

Recently bought an Aura HD, and I love it.

I'm using Calibre, naturally, and I have a question regarding Pocket.

On my previous reader, Sony PRS-T1, when I synced it automatically registered my Pocket as a newspaper (or periodical, I forget what terminology they used), but on the Aura HD it shows up just as a regular book. Is there any way to classify it so that it shows up under "News & Magazines" on the Aura?

thanks!

no. and we're sad too.

I eventually decided to make 2 shelves for them...one called News and one called News-Finished (for the ones I want to keep...)....but I agree, it's wasted only being able to use that category if you sign up for a newspaper through kobo's subscriptions...which aren't available in most countries.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
guitarchitect
guitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud of

Device: kobo aura hd... maybe
Can you guys describe the regular day to day usage of pocket on a kobo? I'm leaning towards getting one and I'm an avid user of pocket... If I could do my reading on a kobo instead of a computer... That would be amazing!

If I save something from my PC browser... What steps would I have to take to read it on the kobo and how quick is it? Does it show up as quickly as it would in the android app, and does it automatically download it so it will be there when you want to read it offline? Assuming you're on A WiFi network of course.

And while we're at it... What is the newspaper reading experience like with it? Just like an eBook or do you basically have to use the newspapers website?
guitarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
Filmbrain
Connoisseur
Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi guitarchitect (great name, by the way)

I'm a huge Pocket fan as well, and was thrilled when I learned I could access it on my reader.

The way I use it (and there may be other solutions) is via Calibre, the free ebook manager. They support "recipes" to access various feeds and news sources, and there is a custom recipe for Pocket that can be found here - https://github.com/tbunnyman/ReadItLater-Calibre-Plugin

It requires a bit of tweaking, but just once, to get it to function to your liking.

What you end up with is a single ebook that you can transfer to your Kobo that contains all the articles it grabbed. It's not 100% perfect -- for example, not all images from a story get downloaded, but that's not something that bothers me too much. Also, the formatting is a bit generic, but again -- it's absolutely readable.

And of course, it's all offline so you can read it at any time. You can configure the recipe to automatically mark stories as read, so that next time you run the recipe, it will just grab the newer, not-yet-downloaded stories. There are few other configurable options as well.

Hope that helped.
Filmbrain is offline   Reply With Quote