Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Survival fic reviewer?

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't been around much. Got caught up in another big dev project that sucked away all my time. The only good part was the paycheck at the end. lol. Anyhow, I've got a question. I've got one book currently out with two more in the pipes which are classified as survival fic. IE, the 2012, TEOTWAWKI, lost in the woods, killer plague, etc, etc, type stuff. In turn I'd like to get it reviewed by someone, but being a mostly sci-fi author, I'm not sure who would take or be able to properly review the book. Anyone know of someone who would review books like that, and maybe (actually preferably) has an audience looking for that genre? I'd like to target the book to the survival fic lovers if possible via a reviewer who works in that area.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I am unfortunately not qualified, neither by language nor experience, but AFAIR kindlekitten and DarkScribe have reported outdoor experience in other threads.
We have a lot of ex-mils, mounties etc. You'll find just the right ones on MR.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'd try to make contact with survivalist communities. Try the living members of this list or their blogs & forums -- http://www.survival-spot.com/surviva...of-survivalism . I would have liked to met Colonel Cooper myself, having enjoyed his writings.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Maybe the Apocalypse Anywhere group at Goodreads
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
Maybe the Apocalypse Anywhere group at Goodreads
I was about to post the exact same suggestion. There's a lot of crossover appeal in the post-apoc / dystopian / survivalist genres.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I am unfortunately not qualified, neither by language nor experience, but AFAIR kindlekitten and DarkScribe have reported outdoor experience in other threads.
We have a lot of ex-mils, mounties etc. You'll find just the right ones on MR.
I am a "survivalist" in the sense that I enjoy spending time without any of the support offered by modern civilisation, both on a yacht at sea/among uninhabited islands, and in trekking in wilderness where I need to live off the land. I find such time to be re-enervating - both physically and emotionally - relaxing and enjoyable. I am not an expert in post apocalypse survival though there might be much overlap depending on the particular apocalypse. My expertise lies in being able to manage medically, find or create potable water, locate or hunt/trap food, and navigate without instruments. It is not in managing the ubiquitous roaming savage zombie-like gangs that many survival novels insist will be the norm. My approach to such gangs would be to avoid them, go to places that would not attract them; not start a shooting war. It will still come back to whether it is an engaging read and realistic in its approach to survival.

I would not be interesting in editing (I have enough urgent work already) but I would be happy to read and make brief suggestions if appropriate.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
as has been mentioned, I am ex-military, was married to an Airborne Ranger, and son was a Navy SEAL. I have extensive SAR experience as well. I grew up in Colorado and NEw Mexico, and my Dad was so paranoid about the inevitable invasion by the Soviets that he had caches of food and weapons stored in the mountains. also, I'm a long time fan of post apocalyptic sci-fi. would be happy to give a look see!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote