Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
kasch18
kasch18 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad2 & Droid X
Will converted epub whispersync between Kindle 3 and Android app?

I was just introduced to the Kindle ebook technology with my Droid X Kindle app the other day. I really enjoyed reading on it and it made me want to get a Kindle 3. What I really like about the concept is the syncing between my Kindle (which I plan to keep at home) and my Droid X app (which I can read on the go). As with others, I would like my Kindle to work with library epub books. Thus, I have figured out how to remove drm, convert to mobi, and place on my Droid X Kindle app. My question is, if I bought a Kindle 3 today would the converted epub books on my Droid X Kindle app, "whispersync" with my Kindle 3? Thank You.

I've also noticed when importing a converted epub to mobi ebook onto my Droid sdcard kindle directory, the cover image of the book does not show up in my Droid Kindle app homescreen. Anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks again.
kasch18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
No you cannot whispersync personal content, only books that you've purchased from their store (and I think stuff you convert using their kindle service)

You can however copy the .mdp files between devices. Or just use locations which is extremely accurate.

Last edited by =X=; 12-20-2010 at 11:54 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasch18 View Post
I was just introduced to the Kindle ebook technology with my Droid X Kindle app the other day. I really enjoyed reading on it and it made me want to get a Kindle 3. What I really like about the concept is the syncing between my Kindle (which I plan to keep at home) and my Droid X app (which I can read on the go). As with others, I would like my Kindle to work with library epub books. Thus, I have figured out how to remove drm, convert to mobi, and place on my Droid X Kindle app. My question is, if I bought a Kindle 3 today would the converted epub books on my Droid X Kindle app, "whispersync" with my Kindle 3? Thank You.

I've also noticed when importing a converted epub to mobi ebook onto my Droid sdcard kindle directory, the cover image of the book does not show up in my Droid Kindle app homescreen. Anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks again.
Re. the cover: Try to send via calibre, instead of copying the file. I don't know about the Kindle app, but for lots of similar isues calibre was able to solve it.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Al Melanson
Al Melanson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
DRM Removal

Kasch18 - How did you remove the DRM from the ePub books?
Al Melanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Al - For legal reasons, the forum guidelines do not permit discussions of how to remove DRM. However, the web is a big place and a search for 'Apprentice Alf' will prove useful, I've no doubt.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasch18 View Post
There might be a way if you have access to a windows machine and are willing to do a little metadata work (no hacking involved). Check out the wiki page Kindle Sync with non-Amazon eBooks.

It was based on syncing from a Kindle to K4PC but if you can access the Kindle books in your Kindle for Android app, it *should* work. I don't have an Android device so, I can't experiment for you. You could try to see if it works between your K4Android and K4PC apps.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
As long as you change the metadata and sideload the same file on all your devices, it'll sync. I've synced content between 2 Kindles, K4PC, and 2 android apps. It's a little extra work but works like a charm.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
As long as you change the metadata and sideload the same file on all your devices, it'll sync. I've synced content between 2 Kindles, K4PC, and 2 android apps. It's a little extra work but works like a charm.
TallMom, can you provide the steps and a few screen grabs for Android devices so I can add them to the wiki?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yes Please, WhisperSync is the killer feature of K4anything, and I'd really like to be able to sync non-Amazon content. For instance, Eric Flint's 1632 series is not available at Amazon, and so must be side loaded on Kindle.

I don't have a problem buying from Amazon, it's just not always possible.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Yes Please, WhisperSync is the killer feature of K4anything, and I'd really like to be able to sync non-Amazon content. For instance, Eric Flint's 1632 series is not available at Amazon, and so must be side loaded on Kindle.

I don't have a problem buying from Amazon, it's just not always possible.
You will still have to sideload (I still haven't quite adopted that terrm) but you can use Whispersync, you just need an ASIN number. I found one for 1632.

Follow the instructions on the Kindle Sync with non-Amazon eBooks and you'll be good to go. It might work with any old ASIN but I haven't tested that, so stick to the wiki instructions.