Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Disabling sse2 in the configuration of Qt5 takes WebKit off the table, it seems. Sounds like a true deal-breaker for getting Sigil 0.7.x to run on older non-sse2 hardware.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Disabling sse2 in the configuration of Qt5 takes WebKit off the table, it seems. Sounds like a true deal-breaker for getting Sigil 0.7.x to run on older non-sse2 hardware.
I think that note needs to be added to the download page, with instructions to use Sigil 6.
This also affects XP running on processors like the AMD Athelon 2600+
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even Sigil 6 has to be patched and built specifically for non-sse2 processors. So while it might be nice to note that you can get Sigil 0.6.x to run on those machines, you're going to have to patch the source and custom compile it to do so. Not so easy for the average Joe on Windows.

I think it's probably best to just accept that any version of Sigil after (and including) 0.3, requires an sse2-capable processor (if you want to point & click install).
Old 04-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #34
whenster
whenster began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 FBReader
@DiapDealer
Can you post the code you used to debug the error to the libQt5Webkit ?

The Qt5 source can be installed from the offline.run file. I'm wondering whether the Qt5Webkit can be configured with SSE2 disabled.

This is a learning curve for me.
whenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whenster View Post
@DiapDealer
Can you post the code you used to debug the error to the libQt5Webkit ?
I just did "gdb sigil" and then "run", (with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH already correctly set) to reveal an illegal instruction in libQt5WebKit.so.5 I'd have to build a debug version of Qt5 to do any in-depth debugging of any kind.

Quote:
The Qt5 source can be installed from the offline.run file. I'm wondering whether the Qt5Webkit can be configured with SSE2 disabled.

This is a learning curve for me.
I don't think Qt5WebKit can even be built without SSE2, is what I'm trying to say. I haven't come across any documentation that explicitly states that to be so, but I'm beginning to believe it. If you use normal, vanilla options to configure Qt5's source, the use of SSE2|3|4.1|4.2 specific code will be turned on be default and Qt5WebKit will be configured to build--along with the rest of Qt5. If you use any of the configuration options to disable SSE2|3|4.1|4.2, then Qt5Webkit doesn't get configured, and doesn't get built with the other Qt5 libraries.

Perhaps (just perhaps) it would be possible to patch Qt5WebKit's source (similarly to how the xerces source was patched) to get Qt5WebKit to build without any SSE2 instructions, but that would be miles above my pay-grade.

I think Sigil 0.7.x represents a line in the sand that your hardware is simply not going to be able to cross.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #36
whenster
whenster began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 FBReader
See the post by Allan Sandfeld Jensen 17 Apr 2013 16:05

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.os.opendarwin.webkit.qt

Quote:
The patch disabling this didn't make it for Qt 5.0.2, so please
note that Qt 5.0.2 will currently not work out of the box on older x86
processors without SSE2. In Qt 5.1.0 and QtWebKit 2.3.2 I expect to include a
proper patch for LLInt without SSE2.
Qt 5.1.0 and QtWebKit 2.3.2 may offer a solution?

Last edited by whenster; 04-26-2013 at 08:35 AM.
whenster is offline   Reply With Quote