Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #61
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@HansTWN It appears the GSIII has the very feature your looking for. One of their enhancements is that you can watch video while operating your device. The video is always visible, but you can move it anywhere on the screen. (It's like a PnP)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #62
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Ah you bring back memories of my WinMo phone. I miss the constant battery pulls (times a day was my min.) Listening to music in the background, while using the device and having my phone miss a call because the mp3/video player would not relinquish resources fast enough. Or having to close down apps when my performance is seriously degraded. But probably what I miss most is not having to carry three batteries so I can make it through the day.... Good times. Android and Apple have ruined it for us.
Of course, that is what happened when you didn't use the power responsibly. There are times when you don't care about battery life (you may be near an outlet, or you may still have plenty of juice left 1 hour before you are due home?)

The point is, why take away our choices? You could always have turned off the background apps in WM 5 or 6. Isn't that is what it is all about? What is a reckless waste of battery life in one situation is perfectly fine at other times. You can always make the "better choice" the default, but only the user can decide what he or she needs.

This is the "applifcation" I am talking about. Someone (usually Steve Jobs, yes, unfortunately we can get totally away from him even using Android) decides what is best for most users and then everybody just blindly follows the standards while those who want choice or have different needs are left behind. That new windows standard for 2 metro apps you are talking about is just a case in point. We allow OS and device makers to take the easy way out. Instead of providing us with full functionality AND better performance and battery life, they are achieving improvements in some areas by sacrificing functionality.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #63
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@HansTWN It appears the GSIII has the very feature your looking for. One of their enhancements is that you can watch video while operating your device. The video is always visible, but you can move it anywhere on the screen. (It's like a PnP)
I will check it out, thanks for the tip. HTC also has a nice wireless HDMI out addon. You can hook the phone up to your TV, start a movie and continue to work on the phone, to write e-mails, for example. In effect a dual screen setup. Looks very interesting, too. Now I just have to get it past my wife, our purchase manager....

Perhaps Samsung and HTC have read my complaints...
Old 05-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #64
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
I contest that you are wrong here and that you are buying the wrong device for your needs. If you are in need of a multitasking tablet buy a Windows tablet or buy an Android tablet and install Linux on it.
Actually I have installed Linux on my device. But a lot of things are quite a chore in Linux (took me and dozens of Linux insiders weeks to figure out just how to get Chinese input working properly in the TouchPad's Linux Chroot). And Linux is just not setup for all Touch Input (even the best windows managers). Starting VPN is a pain (on the TouchPad) and Flash doesn't work and the newspaper reader only worked online, now downloads.

I have a Windows Tablet, which is great for most tasks, but obviously still overweight. For now, there is no perfect tablet for me, of course. But Android could be better, if they just allowed it to be. I actually don't mind the interface, Windows 7 works very well with a Wacom pen.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #65
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Is that Steve Jobs with the latest iPhone?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #66
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Of course, that is what happened when you didn't use the power responsibly.
Now you sound like my parents

In truth I do miss the full multi-tasking ability, but I also like the amount of battery life I get from these specialized OS.

Who nows once the CPU start getting faster and can utilize less power we might be getting more of a multitasking system in the future.

Also the great thing about Android is since it is open source there is always a chance somebody will event a tool that creates a multitasking environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Oh... I didn't recognize him without his turtle neck.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #67
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Lawyer:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/05...ly-by-lawyers/
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #68
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
I am sorry, it still has a screen covering most of the front face and colorful icons. I smell another lawsuit coming. Only a pebble style pink device with flashing disco lights can steer clear of all the those patents.