Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
PB360 coming -- what should I do after charging?

Hey everyone,

I’ve been successfully lured into the PB360 cult (hope you don’t mind my calling you a cult ). I’m hopefully going to receive my new toy either today or Friday. My question is, what would you recommend I do first, once I’ve got it charged up? Here are my initial thoughts after reading through this forum:

- Downgrade the firmware (?)
- Install the fbreader version in the sticky
- Set fbreader as the default for epubs

Anything else?

Thanks!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Hi,

welcome to the club

1. not necessary if it comes with 14.2, stay until 15.2 is final
2. Yes, 0.90 absolutely
3. Yes

4. Install the fonts u like
5. Install the themes u like
6. - 100. Start READING
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
crangirl
Connoisseur
crangirl doesn't littercrangirl doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360
I should get my PB 360 soon too..
(second hand that is).

I almost forgot about the PBreader update.. but I'll read it now
crangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
- Downgrade the firmware (?)
- Install the fbreader version in the sticky
- Set fbreader as the default for epubs
Well, ive been running the current 15.2 firware and have no issues what so ever. If it comes with it, keep it ... my opion

FBreader = good thing =)

yep set it up to default to open epubs. there is also a config file listed here that will set that up for you ( that might be what your talking about )

If you dont care for the 360 wrist flip / rotate you will want to go into set up and disable it. this will prolong battery life also.

Maybe get the pictures for the shut down screen ( will cycle thru a ton of pictures so you have something different / purty to look at just before your books loads )

OOhh and speaking of that, I have it set up so that the start screen is the page I was last reading of the current book. that way current page is displayed really fast while the software boots.

Also might want to check out the "theme" topic, this will change / add features to the base control screen ( were you select books / settings etc etc. ). I personally love "sheeps". I think is fun and functional. ( one note, make sure you add a "Books" directory on your memory card and put your books in it. )

Maybe get calibre to start organizing your books in, this will allow you ease in converting other formats over to epub, and allow you to organize them.

I would then suggest you play around with the options in it for how it puts the books on to your reader. I have it set up so it organizes them in this fashion:

Books/Author sort/seriesname seriesnumber - book title
(ie - books/Jones, Larry/Chocolates of the world 03 - Mexican Mole)

this will allow ease of finding books by author, then the series , then the books in a series

Other then that, load up the books and enjoy reading. Its a nice little device
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!

I know it's all personal preference, but what are some favorite fonts and themes for you all?
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
If you like SF and Fantasy don't forget to hit the BAEN Free Library and FIFTH IMPERIUM Web sites. (Give you something to feed the PB360 with.)

Fonts? I favor Georgia (its part of the standard Windows load) in size 22 with wide margins and no status bar. I tweaked the styles to go with 99 space-before on Heading 1. Looks just like a well-formatted paperback.

Themes? I favor the FIVE theme. I use Century Schoolbook or Lucida as the System font and set the bookshelf to Easy view.

I set the rocker ring as:
right - next page
left - last page
up - next chapter
down - previous chapter
center button hold - status
Top flap - Note taking
Botton flap - TOC

That way I can do all the common reading functions with one finger.

Your milleage *will* vary.

Now git going!

(And no, its not a Cult. We're just well-informed.)
(Strictly a rational choice.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

That way I can do all the common reading functions with one finger.
After bit of reading I set center right, and both big flaps to next. That way I got button that I use 99% of time always near no matter how I hold it.

After you have updated FBreader it is probably good idea to go through all settings in main menu and in FBreader. Then start reading twiddle with configs until you find one that works well for you.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameli View Post
After bit of reading I set center right, and both big flaps to next. That way I got button that I use 99% of time always near no matter how I hold it.
That's how I have it set up, too.

I'm using the Clean Look theme and love it. I'm using Deja Vu Sans Serif as my font for reading and love that, too.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
maxbookworm
Addict

I'm so excited. It's here, and charging. Have to wait until tomorrow to play with it, though...
Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
maxbookworm
Addict

OK -- so to install fbreader180, it says paste into the system/bin folder. Do I just drop the zip file in there? Or do I unzip it and paste all the unzipped stuff into the system/bin folder?

Thanks for all the help!

ETA: Nevermind, I found the answer on this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83581

Last edited by maxbookworm; 06-03-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
maxbookworm
Addict

Hee hee -- I've already learned my first trick. If you want to play with your PB360 during that first, agonizing, 10 hr charge, plug it into a wall charger with a USB input. I'm a-playin' away!