Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
darron
Enthusiast
darron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with others

Device: Kindle DX
Kindle DX + bluetooth hack link

I just put up a blog entry here detailing my hardware hack of the Kindle DX... Bluetooth!

I added a SparkFun Bluetooth Mate TTL-serial to Bluetooth (SPP) module under the gray bezel, added pppd, and ended up with a wireless ssh to my Kindle with no outward signs of modification.

Nice, eh?

This is my little hack. I've basically just nicely packaged the great work of others. I'm getting my good hack ready to post soon.
darron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
whitepaper
whitepaper began at the beginning.

Nice! And do you have any practice in WIFI enabling, that might be more powerful.
whitepaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
darron
Enthusiast
darron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with others

Well, I've considered replacing the Whispernet with Wifi, and removing the amazon proxy stuff to allow it to work. It's not quite worth it for me. That's the 'easy' way.

Otherwise, you'd need a small microcontroller to manage some minimal WiFi chipset and talk PPP to the serial console. (or some custom daemon on the Kindle to talk to it, which would allow you to do things like turn WiFi on/off) There's probably plenty of room in the DX for this, but it's a good bit of work and I'm happy with it as is for now.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
kawaisoonano
kawaisoonano began at the beginning.

Device: kindledx
so far, hav any menthod to extend the internal memory?
kawaisoonano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
darron
Enthusiast

RAM or storage?

On the DX at least there are pads for a SD/MMC card connector internally. I tried playing with that a little. However, it appears that they shorted all the I/O lines to something... probably to keep CMOS inputs from floating unconnected. I was hoping it was just a set of resistors, but I couldn't locate them. I never took the lid off the can over the micro, they could easily be in there.

There's no guarantee the SD card is even wired right. They could have attempted something, it failed, and they left it alone. Probably not though... probably they just decided not to have removable memory for whatever reason.

Eventually, my fear of destroying it overcame my curiosity.

The RAM is under the can shield. All that stuff is in BGA packages... virtually impossible to replace.

The only decent interface available (that I know of) is that mini PCI slot.
Advert

Tags
kindle dx bluetooth