Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
carminis
carminis is on a distinguished road

Device: none (yet)
academic ereading

Hallo,

I just arrived here and already have a quastion...

I'm looking for an ereader for academic reading so I can spare me that whole printing out and colour-marking thing. I got a whole lot of scanned books (partly 2 pages on one sheet) and scripts in PDF which I would like to read on an ereader, so it should be able to display footnotes and page numbers so that I can "normally" excerpt the texts.

I guess, a 5" device will be a little too small, but it shouldn't be more that 8 or 10", I really would like to read fiction in my free time and in the train, etc.

From what I've already read, a Sony PRS-600 Touch and an Onyx Boox 60 sound promising. Also the Cool-es readers with colour and WiFi sound great, but those aren't available yet.

Is there already a suitable device on the market or should I wait for what CES and CeBit bring?

Best wishes from Vienna, Austria,
Carminis
carminis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
There will be some bigger screen devices announced in the next couple of weeks. Including the Plastic Logic Que. Best to wait and see what comes out as short answer is that there isn't really anything good on the market now for a reasonable price.

The Irex 1000 does an ok job, but is $1000. The Kindle DX displays PDFs fine, but lacks key features--at least for me--like table of contents, stylus annotation etc.

This thread has a recent discussion on the topic as well.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66554
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
You might want to consider the sony prs-900 as well. The screen is 7 inches, but in landscape format and with the margin cropper option I've read that pdfs are very readable without the need to increase the font, the downside being that it takes about 3 scrolls to go through the page. I myself am planning on buying an e-reader for academic use. The 6inch screen on my prs 505 is actually great for reading journal articles after I use the reflow, but I don't have the option of marking up my text with the stylus, and I wouldn't mind a larger screen.

You also might want to look into some sort of pdf cropper program to "halve" your scans with two pages on one sheet and to remove margins, you will find your scans much more readable on whatever e-reader you get if you do that.

I myself am seriously considering the prs-900, but will have to wait a few more months as it is (for financial and geographical reasons), so I will see what else is an option then.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I just realised that you are in Austria, so your situation is probably similar to mine. I couldn't find any store that sold Sony readers in Croatia, so I bought mine from a store in Canada and had my brother bring it when he visited me. You might have to do something similar in Austria with certain models, so that's something you might want to consider when choosing as well.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
carminis

Hello Latinandgreek, hello dmaul!

Thanks for your quick answers!

The daily edition reader I already read of, but ignored it since it isn't available here in Austria. Our friends from the US won't come here before autumn and shipping it here will cause additional duane fees. But thanks for the hint, maybe someone is going to the US in spring...

If not I shall have a look on what comes the way over the next weeks.

THX!
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I would wait on the Que and other readers which are actually large format. even a 10" panel is not what I would consider a large format panel, even though we have all been calling them that. It's only because the mfg's said so and that they are about 4" larger than the previous gen's biggest reading devices.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iRex DR1000S is currently the best on the market by far, but you do have to pay for that. There will be many more large-format devices appearing during 2010; if you can, I'd wait a while.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
carminis

well, if they need 'til summer, i'll finish my dissertation first and won't need it for the academic thing anymore. (exept someone will get me a job at the uiniversity... )

in fact, at the moment i "only" have about 300,-€ for the device, which would be the amount i'd pay for a prs-600 here in austria.

dows anyone know how much taxes will add to the 400$ (~260,-€) for the prs-900 if i ask our american friends to ship me one?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
italianReader
Connoisseur
italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminis View Post
Hello Latinandgreek, hello dmaul!

Thanks for your quick answers!

The daily edition reader I already read of, but ignored it since it isn't available here in Austria. Our friends from the US won't come here before autumn and shipping it here will cause additional duane fees. But thanks for the hint, maybe someone is going to the US in spring...

If not I shall have a look on what comes the way over the next weeks.

THX!
Why don't you buy the prs 600 on ebay? With the current change-rate, despite the high shipping cost, you shouldn't spend too much.
italianReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
carminis

i would buy the prs-900 on ebay, if i would find it there shipable to austria just because it isn't available here. but i wouldn't buy the 600 there, because i can actually buy it in any shop in ausria. unfortunately im an unlucky person with new technical stuff - already had a notebook, a netbook, a voip phone and a mobile phone which got exchanged by the manufacturer during the last 3 years (plus an oven 4 years ago)... ^^ i really love gadgets but i obviously don't have the right touch for them... *sigh*
Old 01-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
italianReader
Connoisseur
italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminis View Post
i would buy the prs-900 on ebay, if i would find it there shipable to austria just because it isn't available here. but i wouldn't buy the 600 there, because i can actually buy it in any shop in ausria. unfortunately im an unlucky person with new technical stuff - already had a notebook, a netbook, a voip phone and a mobile phone which got exchanged by the manufacturer during the last 3 years (plus an oven 4 years ago)... ^^ i really love gadgets but i obviously don't have the right touch for them... *sigh*
Can i ask you why don't you buy the prs 600 than?

I don't want to mind your own business, it's just because i probably will buy one on those for a purpose very similar to yours.
italianReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
carminis

i didn't already buy a prs-600 since i wanted to hear from people who actually own one or a prs-900 or a boox 60 or something similar if the device really does show page numbers and footnotes, etc. so that i can quote the material correctly without needing the print version. (the kindle dx obviously doesn't, for example...) further i need to make annotations inside or at the margin of the the text as well as highliting passages that i later will quote.

since tomorrow is monday i will be able to just go into a shop and ask if i could test the device with a 2-page pdf including footnotes, etc. to see for myself. but maybe there are better options than the prs-600 on the market already or will be soon, as brecklundin suggested.

Last edited by carminis; 01-03-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
carminis

hi,

maybe this is interesting for someone. the sony prd-600 didn't work well with pdf. i just had a boox-60 for testing purpose and it did fine, also with picture pdf.

i put a test report on the boox-60 for academic use online (german & -10% coupon code included).
Old 02-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
abq254
abq254 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi carminis,

in a similar position as you! Can't wait anymore. Need to get that thesis done!

You may want to consider a used iRex iLiad which should be within your budget and fit your needs. A few members are selling ones on the forum, and have been willing to sell them abroad in the past.

If you don't need the annotation, the DR800 may also work for you, if it (eventually ...) becomes available on best buy.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/IREX+-+D...iRex&cp=1&lp=1
abq254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
aleks
Connoisseur
aleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook & Sony Reader
Have you considered the Entourage Edge? Seems like it is geared towards the university student.
aleks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
academic, academic use, pdf, scanned, scientific