Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It is interesting that all three of us who have so far reported the issue are using Sandisk cards, but that may be just a coincidence, of course, since Sandisk are probably the largest manufacturer of such cards. I strongly suspect it's simply a case of the time taken for the card to initialise - it's not "ready" when the o/s first tries to access it. By the time the machine's booted again, the card has initialised, and subsequently works fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #17
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Try to delete following files:

/system/lastopen.txt
/system/cache/covers.dat

Maybe that will fix your problem

Ulli
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
Try to delete following files:

/system/lastopen.txt
/system/cache/covers.dat

Maybe that will fix your problem

Ulli
No, it has nothing to do with whether or not there are any books on the card, or whether they've been opened - it's the simple presence of the card that makes the machine boot twice. As I said, it looks to me as though it's simply that these are slow cards, and the card has not had time to properly initialise by the time the firmware tries to access it.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #19
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
By the way, when my device has the card inserted AND is connected to my computer in charging mode it boots normally.

Last edited by Francesco; 01-02-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:42 AM   #20
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I use a Panasonic 2GB, class 4 and a Sandisk 4 GB, class 2 card and I have not had such issues of double bootings.

Last edited by Logseman; 03-03-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #21
michitux
michitux began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360°
Just for the record, I have just bought an Intenso 4 GB microSDHC card today, and have the same problem with rebooting on my PocketBook 360° (for which I've bought the card, I have no other device using microSD)... quite annoying imho.
michitux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by michitux View Post
Just for the record, I have just bought an Intenso 4 GB microSDHC card today, and have the same problem with rebooting on my PocketBook 360° (for which I've bought the card, I have no other device using microSD)... quite annoying imho.
It's interesting that, if you connect the USB cable to the PB before turning it on, it boots normally.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #23
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I haven't seen the issue with a 2gb SanDisk microSD and a 2gb Transcend microSD.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #24
dud
dud began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360
Hi,

I have the same double-boot problem (100 % reproducible) with a 4 GB SanDisk Card (microSD HC, class 2).

(like the OP describes, boot ones, you see the menu with last-opened list missing last opened books from the card -> press any key -> 2nd boot -> last-opened list is now accurate)

A firmware update to swupdate_15mar2010_360_us_ws_v15_1.zip did not change the behavior.

In addition to that I observed other boot problems: while reading some large .chm-File on a next-page click suddenly the device appears to be rebooting (you see the boot-logo again) and then you are at the main menu again - if you reopen the file, the last viewed page position is lost ... This is not so easily reproducible - with this file I noticed it a few times. Once after reading 2 pages, ones after 10, after 50 etc. Reading like 100 pages of a pdf (from the card) or a complete epub (from the internal memory, prepackaged there) didn't trigger any such problems.
dud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have all the books on my Pocketbook 360 on a memory card, rather than in main memory, and I've noticed that the machine appears to boot twice before I can use it. What happens is this:

1. I switch the machine on, get the initial logo screen and then the main menu screen. The "most recently read" area at the top of the page is blank.

2. I press any key. The machine then appears to reboot - I see the logo screen again, and then the main menu again. Now my books are listed at the top of the screen and all the functions work normally.

This is absolutely reproducible, and happens every time I turn the machine on. It's not a problem, but I was just wondering if it's the "normal" behaviour?
Exactly the same here!
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #26
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
It is interesting that all three of us who have so far reported the issue are using Sandisk cards, but that may be just a coincidence, of course, since Sandisk are probably the largest manufacturer of such cards. I strongly suspect it's simply a case of the time taken for the card to initialise - it's not "ready" when the o/s first tries to access it. By the time the machine's booted again, the card has initialised, and subsequently works fine.
8GB SanDisk, booting twice...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #27
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
8GB SanDisk, booting twice...
Yeah, it's definitely a SanDisk-PocketBook thing, speed issue too, I think.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Have you had any feedback as to whether this is likely to be fixed in the next firmware version? It's not a major problem, but it is a little annoying.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #29
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Camera owners report high # of failures of 8-16GB class 10 sdhc cards in cameras

Recently I have been investigating purchase of an 8 or 16 GB Class 6 or Class 10 SDHC card to use as cache for Windows 7 ReadyBoost. I noticed many comments/reviews from folks who experienced critical failures of these cards in their cameras. Failures were also reported for Class 6 cards.I estimated that about 1/4 to 1/3 of all the comments described major SDHC card failures. I recognize that self reported reviews/comments might skew the comments towards reported failures. I think most of those failures were associated with the less expensive cards. There were 16GB Class 10 SDHC cards selling for less than $50 USD from vendors whom I believe were USA-based. I guess that the same card problems would impact their use in some ebook readers.

Last edited by Vienna01; 05-08-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:35 AM   #30
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Just tried it with an old 1GB card I had in my phone. Works absolutely fine. I suspect that it may perhaps be that, with my 16GB card being both large and (since it's only a class 2 card) relatively slow, that it's not initialising quickly enough for the Pocketbook to be able to recognise it on the initial boot. No big deal.
The EB500 (and by extention EB600) due to the S3C2440 are not capable of HighSpeed SD, only high capacity, so even if you have a fastest SD card (ie 50Mhz capable) you won't see a difference.

Originaly the S3C2440 is not "HC/SD2.0" compliant, but since the SD is nearly purely software, it's possible to make it support for high capacity SD card, but the hardware does not support for highspeed cards. I had problem with SD card on such hardware but not that can make the firmware reboot without reason. I suspect a bug somewhere in the software, maybe triggered by the sandisk card, but they will not be the only one in that case.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote