Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #1396
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Made a slow-roast beef roast from a grass-fed cow last night and some red-wine and rosemary jus.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #1397
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
OK... first up, Cantonese style "Shrimp with Lobster Sauce"
(No lobster in the dish, it's the same sauce that's used for "Lobster Cantonese.") This will also demonstrate the prep work common in Chinese cooking. Everything gets prepped and the assembled into groups that get added together. Have several small bowls on hand for this purpose. The prep work is far more intensive than the actual cooking, but it tends to be the same prep work (grouping together of "almost" the same ingredients into bowls.)

Very easy to make. The main flavorings are the fermented black beans and the pork. The prep time is about 20 minutes and cooking time less than 4-5. It looks complicated, but if you assemble all the ingredient groups into separate little dishes, it's just adding and stirring, adding and stirring. That's another point: do NOT stop stirring! Keep everything moving all the time!

SHRIMP WITH LOBSTER SAUCE
Yield: 3 to 4 servings if served alone; 6 to 8 servings if
served with 3 other dishes

1 lb. shrimp (raw, weighed with the shell) You can use prawns if that's what your local market sells. They taste the same. Use medium size, unpeeled, uncooked.

MARINADE:
1/2 egg white
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon corn starch
1 tablespoon drysherry
1/4 teaspoon sugar

2 eggs

First Group (put together into a small dish)
2-3 cloves garlic
2 heaping teaspoons fermented black beans (if very salty looking, rinse)
2 slices fresh ginger root (Each about the size of a 50 cent piece)

3-4 scallions (white and green parts)

BINDER: (put together into a small dish)
1 tablespoon corn starch
2-3 tablespoons chicken stock

2nd Group Seasonings: (put together into a small dish)
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1 teaspoon dark Chinese soy sauce (do NOT use Japanese soy sauce!)
1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) ground pork
2-3 tablespoons peanut oil (corn or olive will work too, but olive will smoke)

PREPARATION: Shell, de-vein, split, wash, drain, and dry shrimp.
Mix shrimp with the 1/2 egg white, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon
corn starch, 1 tablespoon sherry, and 1/4 teaspoon
sugar. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour, up to 12 hours. (I often don't.)

Beat the remaining 1 1/2 eggs lightly.
Mince the garlic, black beans and ginger. Keep together in a dish.
Cut the scallions into 2 inch pieces.
Dissolve 1 tablespoon corn starch in 2-3 tablespoons chicken stock.
Into a small bowl put 1 tablespoon sherry, 1 teaspoon DARK soy sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
Measure into another bowl 1/2 cup stock.
Set aside 1/2 cup ground pork.

COOKING PROCEDURE: Place wok over high flame for 30 seconds. Add
2-3 tablespoons oil and heat for 20 seconds or until oil is very
hot but not smoking.
Add the black beans, garlic, and ginger, Stir-fry 15 seconds.
Add pork and continue stirring until the
pork turns white (2-3 minutes).
Restir shrimp in marinade with
chopsticks; then add to wok and stir-fry until they turn pink
(2-3 minutes).
Add 1 tablespoon sherry, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Mix well. Add scallions. Mix again.
Add 1/2 cup stock. Bring to a boil. Cook over a medium
flame for 2-3 minutes.
Remix binder and add, pouring with one hand while you stir with the other until the liquid thickens.
Stir in the eggs, turning off the flame immediately. Empty
contents of wok into a heated serving dish. Serve immediately.

Serve with rice.

SUBSTITUTIONS: For the shrimp you can substitute a 1 1/4 lb.
lobster. Cut it in serving pieces, omit the marinade, and
proceed as recipe indicates.

You can substitute 14 oz. scallops. If you use bay scallops,
leave them whole; if you use sea scallops, cut each one into 3
slices across as you would a water chestnut. Marinate both as
you would shrimp.

TIPS: It is important that the flame be turned off immediately
after the eggs are added to achieve a smooth, flowing sauce.

Most Americans are used to eating this dish with an abundance
of sauce because many of the Chinese-American restaurants serve
it this way. The recipe given here is a more authentic version.
If you prefer more sauce, increase the stock cup, and the binder.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #1398
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
is it disastrous if I do not use sugar?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #1399
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
is it disastrous if I do not use sugar?
No. Just a little different taste. I'd double up the dark soy sauce to compensate.

Stitchawl
Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #1400
Stitchawl
Opsimath

It worked!!

I bought a crock pot slow cooker so I could make a version of BBQ'd pulled pork... well, in this case beef. The local stupidmarket was selling what looked to be top round at a price that didn't require draining my entire bank account and I have been toying with the idea for a recipe that I really wanted to try.

Here's what I threw into the pot this morning;
About a kilo of tough beef
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup catsup
Worcestershire Sauce
Liquid Smoke
salt & pepper
1 TBS mustard powder
1 onion
1 carrot
2 cups Beef stock

Set the pot for an 8-hour low heat cook and let 'er rip!

This afternoon I came home to some of the tenderest meat I've ever eaten. I added just a drop more of Liquid Smoke and a bit more salt, tore it apart with two forks, put it on top of some hamburger buns, topped it with some Heinz BBQ sauce, and didn't stop to talk! I grilled some corn to eat with it and I'd swear I was in a Georgia BBQ pit!

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #1401
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
It worked!!

I bought a crock pot slow cooker so I could make a version of BBQ'd pulled pork... well, in this case beef. The local stupidmarket was selling what looked to be top round at a price that didn't require draining my entire bank account and I have been toying with the idea for a recipe that I really wanted to try.

Here's what I threw into the pot this morning;
About a kilo of tough beef
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup catsup
Worcestershire Sauce
Liquid Smoke
salt & pepper
1 TBS mustard powder
1 onion
1 carrot
2 cups Beef stock

Set the pot for an 8-hour low heat cook and let 'er rip!

This afternoon I came home to some of the tenderest meat I've ever eaten. I added just a drop more of Liquid Smoke and a bit more salt, tore it apart with two forks, put it on top of some hamburger buns, topped it with some Heinz BBQ sauce, and didn't stop to talk! I grilled some corn to eat with it and I'd swear I was in a Georgia BBQ pit!

Stitchawl
YUMMY!! So glad it worked for you.
My pet peeve of the day is that the boneless pork "ribs" I bought two days ago have already gone bad. I went to put them into my own crockpot and the smell nearly knocked me over. What's even worse is I bought them at MY store! This is the second time that's happened recently. I think I may have to start buying meat somewhere else, or plan on going to the store every day for meat, instead of buying it during the weekly shopping trip.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #1402
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I think I may have to start buying meat somewhere else, or plan on going to the store every day for meat, instead of buying it during the weekly shopping trip.
I may be one of the very few who love to shop daily. We don't do a 'weekly' shop nor store foods in the fridge. That's filled mostly with condiments, cheeses, sauces, and the like. The freezer is used for left-overs.

I tried doing weekly shopping as it really is more economical, but how do I know what I want to eat two days from now? I go to the markets and walk around, seeing what catches my interest or what looks freshest.

When I made my crockpot BBQ, I really wanted to use pork, but for some reason the shops didn't have any really nice shoulders for sale, and one place did have some good looking beef at low prices. We don't have to deal with the huge Agri-business foods or having two central mega-slaughter houses serving an entire country so the foods tend to be more locally grown/raised, and thus really fresh. We also still have a lot of individual vendors so I can go to a 'chicken store' or find a fish store on every shopping street. (When I first got here the chickens were sold alive, and killed and cleaned for you while you waited. They still do that with the fish, even in the supermarkets.)

I just ask my wife 'what 'country' do you want tonight?' then go shopping and plan the meal while in the stores. Tonight I'll be making a few Thai dishes but I still haven't decided on chicken, shrimp, or pork, or combinations of those. I'll decide when I'm in the marketplace.

Stitchawl
Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #1403
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
YUMMY!! So glad it worked for you.
My pet peeve of the day is that the boneless pork "ribs" I bought two days ago have already gone bad. I went to put them into my own crockpot and the smell nearly knocked me over. What's even worse is I bought them at MY store! This is the second time that's happened recently. I think I may have to start buying meat somewhere else, or plan on going to the store every day for meat, instead of buying it during the weekly shopping trip.
that shouldn't be happening. considering that most meat is "hung" for up to 10 days, having it go bad overnight in your fridge is not acceptable, something is going on there
Old 09-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #1404
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
that shouldn't be happening. considering that most meat is "hung" for up to 10 days, having it go bad overnight in your fridge is not acceptable, something is going on there
I'm with KK. This shouldn't be happening. Especially with pork. One of the reasons pork was so common in preserved meats was that it has a good 'shelf life' to begin with.

Is pork hung? I know that beef should be hung to make it more tender,
(this is why Kosher beef is often so tough... It must be used within a day or two of being killed,) but I'm not sure about pork.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 09-01-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #1405
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

we always hung pork
Old 09-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #1406
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Yeah, I was pretty sure that wasn't supposed to be happening, but I'm not sure exactly what to do about it. I did tell my manager about it, and he said he'd look into it, since it's the second time it's happened to me. Until he gets back to me, I guess I'll be buying meat from Oliver's. (Oliver's is the small corner grocery a few blocks from me). It's been more convenient to pick up the meat when I'm shopping after work, but not if it's going to go bad before I can eat it!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #1407
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Today is Tofu day! Here is a recipe for a spicy Chinese dish that's quick and easy! It uses the same fermented black beans as the Shrimp dish but a little bit of beef instead of pork, which changes the flavors dramatically. Very quick to make, and delicious!

Szechwan style MA PWO TOFU

4 squares soft bean curd
6 oz lean beef, finely minced (ground)
3-4 scallions, white and green parts
1/4 cup frying oil

1 tablespoon fermented black bean, finely chopped
2 teaspoons hot bean paste (Asian isle in the supermarket. Sometimes called Tobanjan)
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger (do NOT use powdered ginger!)
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh red chili pepper or chili sauce

1 teaspoon Chinese brown peppercorn powder

SEASONING:
1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce (Chinese, not Japanese)
1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

1 cup (8 fluid oz) chicken stock or water
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes and soak in water
until needed. Trim and shred the scallions into 1" lengths. Heat the frying oil and
stir-fry the beef until lightly colored, then add the scallions and
stir-fry a further 30 seconds. Add the chopped black beans, the
bean paste, garlic, ginger, and chili pepper of chili sauce and
stir-fry for a further 30 seconds, then add the pre-mixed
seasoning ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.

Drain the bean curd and add to the sauce, reduce the heat and
simmer until the sauce is well reduced and the flavor thoroughly
permeating the bean curd. About 5-8 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and season
with powdered Chinese brown pepper. (Not black pepper!)

Serve with rice

Stitchawl
Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #1408
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Something a bit different this evening... a Brazilian-Portuguese dish!
I wanted something quick and really easy. This one was no work at all! Dice an onion and some green pepper and open two cans. Doesn't get much easier than that!

MOKECKA

Mixed sea food (clams, shrimp, squid, crab, fish, etc.) about
400-600gms I used a bag of frozen mixed stuff

1 small onion - minced
1 med. green pepper (or 3 Japanese green peppers) - minced
1 can coconut milk
1 can crushed tomatoes

oil for cooking onions and peppers
Chile oil - optional (I added this to mine, my wife had her's without.)

In a little oil, cook the onions and peppers until the onions
are translucent. Add the tomatoes and coconut milk (well shaken)
and stir. Simmer until heated, then add seafood. Cook until
seafood is done.. about 4-5 minutes. Eat! Smile!

Stitchawl
Old 09-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #1409
Stitchawl
Opsimath

O.K., food fans... here is a drop dead easy dish that sounds a bit wild but is really fantastic!

Ingredients;
1 chicken (or a bunch of chicken parts)
2-3 cloves of garlic
teaspoon of sugar
10+ scallions... the more the merrier
3-4 tablespoons of "Dark" Chinese Soysauce
1 cup of oil (I use olive but corn, peanut, canola, safflower, etc. will work just as well.
3-4 pks of instant ramen noodles..

Boil the chicken. Don't worry about any seasonings, just boil it, then let it cool. When cool, tear into bite-size pieces. Smaller is better.
Boil water for the ramen noodles
Chop the scallions, both white and green parts, into 1" pieces
Mince the garlic
Put one cup of oil into a small saucepan

Put the chicken, scallions, and garlic into a large Pyrex bowl, sprinkle with sugar and soy sauce.

When the water for the noodles is just about boiling, turn on the heat under the cup of oil. When the oils is beginning to smoke add the noodles to the WATER, then slowly pour the oil onto the chicken/scallion/garlic/sugar/soysauce mix (not into the water!) Be careful as it may spit a little. Give it a quick stir and pour on the rest of the hot oil and stir. Then tip the bowl so the oil drains to one side (Move the Chicken mix to the opposite side)
The noodles only take two minutes so drain them and put into bowls.

Carefully remove the chicken mix from the Pyrex bowl, transferring to a serving dish. If you do it right, you will discover that there is just about one cup of oil sitting in the bottom of the Pyrex bowl and the chicken dish is not the least bit greasy! Serve on top of the Ramen noodles... This is one you will make again and again!

Stitchawl
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #1410
Stitchawl
Opsimath

An experiment!

I just mixed up a salsa with tomato, scallions, onion, fresh corriander, green peppers, all seasoned with cumin, black pepper, salt, oregano, and garlic, with a splash of lime juice and another of white wine.

I put this into the Slow Cooker with four chicken breasts, each cut into thirds. About an hour before I remove it, I'll add in some cayenne pepper and some dried chili pods. I think they get a bit bitter if cooked too long.

Hopefully, dinner will be shredded chicken in salsa covered with a Taco sauce... I hope we make out better than the Guppies...

ADDENDUM: Be careful about the cooking time. This dish came out great but the salsa was almost cooked away to a soup. I had it set for 10 hours on Low, but I think 8 hours would have been better. It was delicious anyway!

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 09-16-2011 at 08:45 AM.