Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #46
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
You're not alone. I personally can't say Electrowetting without chuckling.

I don't think the marketing department thought this one through

Then again, I chuckle when someone says "buns"
yeah... personally, it's the word "dongle" that i can't take seriously. electrowetting is pretty bad too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Cool idea, when do we start our company?
heh ! well, whenever you want, but i should warn you, i might not be much use in it !! but if it means i get to play with new gadgets before everybody else (and for free !!) then you can sign me up...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #47
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hey, now, the Lounge is the proper place for organizing business ventures!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #48
Penny Candy
Penny Candy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
(New person here)

I got interested enough to go to Liquavista’s “About” page, and found this:

“Liquavista’s electro-wetting displays (EWDs) are reflective rather than transmissive and so offer the potential for clear viewing in all lighting conditions, from a dimly lit office…”

To me “reflective rather than transmissive” strongly implies that the device, though it uses power to do its stuff, REFLECTS light rather than emitting it (or transmitting light), as a photo print rather than a slide. The strange part is that they are implying that a device that is not giving out its own light would work well in a dim office. So I guess they manage a contradiction in one sentence.

Plain English would be awfully nice.
Penny Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #49
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Interesting observation. Not having read much about these display's I imagine the technology is a hybrid. And perhaps the lighting in from the front via LED, as opposed to typical backlit displays. There might either be a way to completly turn off the lighting or it has an ambient light sensor to control the birghtness of the front lighting.

But that is just a guess...or, of course they whole marketing staff could be a tad, ummm...confused?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #50
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Surely you're not implying that the Marketing folks might be experiencing a rectal-cranial fusion incident? They'll have you know that all their best stuff is generated colonically -- they only keep their heads there for the warmth!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2008, 06:11 AM   #51
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

why heaven's no. I would never suggest such a condition existed in the marketing department. And I never read the book Jennifer Government either.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #52
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
heh ! well, whenever you want, but i should warn you, i might not be much use in it !! but if it means i get to play with new gadgets before everybody else (and for free !!) then you can sign me up...
You'd just bring in the money
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #53
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
yeah... personally, it's the word "dongle" that i can't take seriously. electrowetting is pretty bad too.

But will the electro-wetting require a "robotic" dongle to work properly?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #54
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
But will the electro-wetting require a "robotic" dongle to work properly?
arg !! no, i'm sorry, i just could not buy a device using "electro-wetting" technology and requiring a dongle to work properly.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:59 AM   #55
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
I thought polymer vision is e-ink technology. Not?
Polymer Vision uses E Ink tech., but it is also a Phillips spinoff.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:46 AM   #56
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
arg !! no, i'm sorry, i just could not buy a device using "electro-wetting" technology and requiring a dongle to work properly.

Tags
color display, e-paper, electrowetting, liquavista