Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Did a test and Fire is totally oblivious to the archived Personal Documents of other Kindles (K3 and K4). Here are the shortcomings from the test.
  • Fire cannot archive Personal Documents
  • Fire cannot sync info (not even farthest page read) with Personal Documents archived by K3s or K4s
  • Delete a Personal Document from the Fire and it is totally gone. You will have to email it to the Fire again if you want it back, but deletion also deletes highlights, notes, etc.

This is really bad IMO. First, Amazon is loosely using Personal Documents in a confusing manner which can result in us thinking that they are referring to the Personal Documents that can be archived and synced via the Kindle Personal Documents Service. there are two definitions for Personal Documents as used by Amazon:
  • A non-Amazon Store document that was sideloaded or emailed to your Kindle.
    • Document cannot be archived
    • Document cannot be synced with other Kindles
  • A non-Amazon Store document that you emailed to your qualifying K3 or K4 to take advantage of the Kindle Personal Documents Service for purposes of archiving and syncing with other qualifying Kindles.
    • Document can be archived
    • Document can be easily downloaded from Archive to qualifying Kindles
    • Document can be fully synced with other qualifying Kindles
Yeah that's what I though. *sigh* Maybe later they will give us a Personal Cloud for the Kindle Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
jswinden: even reading what you just wrote made my head spin, but I think that's also in part because I wasn't terribly familiar with the "Personal Documents" in the first place. It's not a feature I used much with my K2. But I think you're right that the whole thing is very confusing, and that it would seem the Fire is not really well set up for reading personal documents, which of course makes no sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yeah that's what I though. *sigh* Maybe later they will give us a Personal Cloud for the Kindle Fire.
I cannot remember all of what Amazon promised, and I cannot guarantee that my mind doesn't change my memories to fit my wishes! But I thought Amazon mentioned that the Kindle Personal Documents Service would be extended to other Kindles and apps. I'm sure hoping they extend it to the Fire and the K4PC and K4Mac apps.

In most cases it won't matter for me as I buy from Amazon most of the time, but if I need a book from another source or I need to modify an Amazon book then it will matter. I've bought a couple of Topaz books lately through Amazon and I had to modify them to make them readable. Neither are now archiveable or syncable.
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #18
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
For some reason my setup is DIFFERENT.

Quote:
Here it what the Amazon web page says about Kindle Personal Documents Service (what some of us called the "Cloud"):

So I guess it hasn't yet been extended to the Fire yet. Come on Amazon, get off you butt and follow through with your promises!
Amazon assigned a DIFFERENT email address to my Fire from what it had been for my K3. It works fine for me if I sent the document to each email address: THEY ARE DIFFERENT.

Maybe its not supposed to be that way but live with it. Its the way it is. I did not try to change the email addresses assigned by Amazon.

However, my K4PC is not listed with a personal document email address.

None of this has anything to do with the Amazon Cloud which I chose NOT to use at all.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Amazon assigned a DIFFERENT email address to my Fire from what it had been for my K3. It works fine for me if I sent the document to each email address: THEY ARE DIFFERENT.

Maybe its not supposed to be that way but live with it. Its the way it is. I did not try to change the email addresses assigned by Amazon.

However, my K4PC is not listed with a personal document email address.

None of this has anything to do with the Amazon Cloud which I chose NOT to use at all.
That is sideloading a personal document via email. That has been around for years. The Kindle Personal Documents Service form of personal documents is something entirely different. Read what I wrote above. It is way too easy to confuse the two as they use the same terminology.

BTW: My K3 and K4 share a common email address while my Fire has a different one. I suspect that is because the Fire is not capable of using the Kindle Personal Documents Service whereas the K3 and K4 both are.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #20
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Conversion of Personal Documents

Quote:
That is sideloading a personal document via email. That has been around for years. The Kindle Personal Documents Service form of personal documents is something entirely different. Read what I wrote above. It is way too easy to confuse the two as they use the same terminology.

BTW: My K3 and K4 share a common email address while my Fire has a different one. I suspect that is because the Fire is not capable of using the Kindle Personal Documents Service whereas the K3 and K4 both are.
When I send a personal document to that email address, it is converted to Amazon eBook format and sent back to my Kindle. The Kindle Fire has an "_60" added to the body of the K3 email address.

I am not aware of any other Personal Document Service.
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
When I send a personal document to that email address, it is converted to Amazon eBook format and sent back to my Kindle. The Kindle Fire has an "_60" added to the body of the K3 email address.

Read this web page and you will be. Scroll down to the "Personal Document Archiving" section.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

It's called the Personal Document Cloud it's 5GB of space managed from your MYK page. It's like the Kindle Archive but for PDocs and it works for K3w3.3, K4 & KT. You can now synch your Pdocs using this method and it's disappointing to not have it on the Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #23
sirmaru
Wizard

Only ONE.

Quote:
Read this web page and you will be. Scroll down to the "Personal Document Archiving" section.
That's the one I was using and I can use it for the Fire and the 3rd Gen Kbd WiFi each with it's own email address. The Fire has an "_60" added to the 3rd Gen's email address.

That's the ONLY one I know about. Is that service inside the 5 Gb Cloud?