Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Wireless or Tethered? Are You a Cylon?

It has been brought to my attention recently [by my wife] that I might be a bit on the paranoid side when it comes to wireless devices.

I just setup our first wireless router last month so she could use her laptop without an ethernet cable. For years I had simply run cables everywhere.

My superpad tablet, I barely use the wifi on it. Maybe on the occasional Saturday on the couch to read Mobileread.

My bluray player is the non-wireless version. [not that our 'net connection speed is great enough to stream movies].

Our 505's our wireless and even when we get some T1's [they were on sale for WICKED cheap, so how could I resist, even with other needs screaming for our money?] I will NOT be using the wireless option. At least, I don't think so.

So yes, I know I'm paranoid. And yes, I know that Cylons aren't real .

But I want to know, does anyone else feel the need to obsessively keep info constrained?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I'm not paranoid, but I never use my T1 to download anything. I used it once to make sure it worked (it did) and then I turned it off. I always sideload my books from my pc onto my reader.

I plan to get a tablet, I'm wondering how I'm going to get the apps that I want on to it. I am going to want to have a copy of them on my pc as well as my tablet. I'm just not sure how to go about doing it. This is brand new territory that I'm going to have to learn.

I am going to have to figure out if it's better to have everything on the tablet, or to use cards for my music and books.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I've gone wireless on everything including printers, TV, DVR, laptops, desktops, ebook readers and tablets.

It does require pw access but otherwise no worries.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
All of my stuff is run wirelessly. It's all password protected, but that's it in terms of protecting the network.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
It has been brought to my attention recently [by my wife] that I might be a bit on the paranoid side when it comes to wireless devices.

I just setup our first wireless router last month so she could use her laptop without an ethernet cable. For years I had simply run cables everywhere.

My superpad tablet, I barely use the wifi on it. Maybe on the occasional Saturday on the couch to read Mobileread.

My bluray player is the non-wireless version. [not that our 'net connection speed is great enough to stream movies].

Our 505's our wireless and even when we get some T1's [they were on sale for WICKED cheap, so how could I resist, even with other needs screaming for our money?] I will NOT be using the wireless option. At least, I don't think so.

So yes, I know I'm paranoid. And yes, I know that Cylons aren't real .

But I want to know, does anyone else feel the need to obsessively keep info constrained?
As long as you use WPA2 you should have no worries about your network. However your information that is on the web could be compromised so i guess you still have to be paranoid to some degree.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Life's too short, my friend. What's going to happen, if you allow wireless on your reader? Are you reading state secrets?

My reader doesn't have wireless, but if it did, I would certainly use it.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Life's too short, my friend. What's going to happen, if you allow wireless on your reader? Are you reading state secrets?

My reader doesn't have wireless, but if it did, I would certainly use it.

eP
Exactly. I KNOW it is irrational, but stilll....

[when the Cylons nuke us, it won't be because they got info from my ereader ]
Old 05-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I'm totally wireless. My desktop computer, laptop, iPad, iPod touch, PS3, Wii, and Nook STR all connect via wifi. I leave the wifi off on the Nook most of the time, just connecting on Fridays to see whatever "Free Friday" book they're giving away, and to shop if I'm looking to buy something specific or get a preview.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Tediously typing in the new password into 4 computers, an iPhone, an iPod, and 3 Kindles when the wireless router was replaced last month showed me exactly how connected.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ravensknight - a serious question. What is it about WiFi that concerns you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ravensknight - a serious question. What is it about WiFi that concerns you?
I don't have a concrete answer, which is why I jokingly asked, because maybe someone else could put it into words?

"Something" inside me just doesn't like the idea of info whizzing through the air. I feel like it could be snatched.

And that is the best I can do. And it does bother me. Because I know it is irrational, I can't describe it well and so many other people use it without having problems.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm turning into my dad before I am supposed to. ["supposed to" being around 50year mark]
Old 05-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
We are all entitled to at least three irrational fears. Don't worry abou it.
Mine are
a) Gummi bears that will come alive
b) Amazon spoofing my computers
c) Maybeline stopping production of their waterproof mascara
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
We are all entitled to at least three irrational fears. Don't worry abou it.
Mine are
a) Gummi bears that will come alive
b) Amazon spoofing my computers
c) Maybeline stopping production of their waterproof mascara
Its too late

Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I've gone wireless on everything including printers, TV, DVR, laptops, desktops, ebook readers and tablets.
Everything? Good; then maybe you can help me. How do I wirelessly transfer bananas from a tree to my belly? Some days, I just don't feel like climbing after them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
"Something" inside me just doesn't like the idea of info whizzing through the air. I feel like it could be snatched.
It certainly could be snatched. If someone was out to break your WPA2-protected network, they could do so with relative ease. The question is: why would they? Nobody is going to bother simply in order to use your bandwidth, when there are almost certainly several unsecured networks within a stones throw.

That out of the way, they must be after some information on your network. Are you working for the NSA? MI5/6? Mossad? Something even more secret? And take your work home with you and store it on your home network? Do you store your credit card details on your computer/reader or are you in the habit of sending your credit card details over unsecured connections? Are you a spy/secret agent/terrorist and communicate with other spies/secret agents/terrorists via instant messaging?

If you can answer no to all of those, there's probably no reason to worry at all. Unless your network contains something particularly interesting or tempting and someone knows about it, no-one is going to bother breaching it. There are so many unsecured networks out there that there's simply no reason to bother with one that is secured.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote