Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #196
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I cannot imagine going for a tiny "walled garden" like the Blackberry then having to rely on those guys at XDA to rewrite the firmware. IMO they did a lousy job on the NookColor. They never adequately addressed major issues like battery drain.
Um, yes they did, quite a while ago. The battery drain when sleeping issue is fixed.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #197
Danariel
Enthusiast
Danariel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Except that you (like some others) wanted it to be something it is not - a full android tablet. It that is what you want then that's what you should buy.
Just wanted to re-respond to this post, and the one about the "walled garden" that is BlackBerry Playbook.

I got the Playbook, browsed around the dismal selection of apps for it, then installed the 2.0 Beta with the Android player in it. I sideloaded some apps, got a few (including the Kindle app) working, but couldn't get Gmail to work. As I continued fiddling with it, I kept getting more and more dissatisfied with it.

I realized that I was just trying to turn it into an Android tablet, like you said - so I stopped, reset it, and ordered an HTC Flyer used from Amazon. I'm pretty sure I'll be satisfied with it (I've NEVER been this wishy-washy on an electronic purchase before, I swear!) since I have an HTC Thunderbolt, and the Pen Digitizer is a definite bonus for those with a creative bent (I'm a graphic designer.)

As far as the Fire goes, it had the potential to be a full Android Tablet (except for missing bluetooth and cameras) and Amazon gimped it with their ugly Carousel UI. I might have been happy with it once someone had released a Cyanogen 7 ROM for it (and yes, someone already has CM7 working on it, but with some problems to clean up) but the addition of 8GB more base flash memory, a MicroSD card slot (that I already have a 32gb card for), bluetooth, and 2 cameras, for a measly $100 more, makes me happy. Ok, I hope it'll make me happy.

My Thunderbolt is rooted, so I know if there's something about the Flyer I don't like, I'll root it and change it. I'm a tinkerer at heart. I need a shirt that says "I Void Warranties."
Danariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #198
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Hi Danariel,

I see your point. Bu the thing is, if Amazon starts to add SD card slot, cameras, Bluetooth, etc, the 200 price range or limit will go away. In terms of profit won't be doable.

One of the key things here, besides the Amazon Prime thing and Amazon Android's Content , is the price!

Keeping the price on or below $200 bucks is a very powerful psychological and marketing tool against competitors. At least, in my opinion.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #199
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I kind of like buying something that that no profit was made initially! That is a pretty good psychological and marketing tool.

Looking forward to your review of the NT. I thought you perhaps would keep it as well.

Last edited by robertc88; 12-02-2011 at 02:27 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #200
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'm trying to find a RSS Reader for the Fire. Right now I'm using the Pulse app that comes on the fire which isn't the best.
Google Reader is one of the few Google apps that works on the Fire.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #201
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxh11215 View Post
Google Reader is one of the few Google apps that works on the Fire.
It does without rooting?

Nope does not work. It says sign in fail perhaps you are rooted or you mean gReader which looks alot like Google Reader.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-02-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #202
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Someone pointed me to gReader. Free & not bad so far.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #203
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Someone pointed me to gReader. Free & not bad so far.
I've used it. It's okay one of the better ones. I went ahead and install it but I am getting use to Pulse and Kinda like it.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-02-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #204
maxim9691
maxim9691 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
It's hard to tell by the most recent posts in this thread but I'd like to answer this question with "So, on a scale of 1 to 10 - ARE YOU HAPPY?" after purchasing a Kindle Fire for my wife I give it a 9 , would get a 10 from me if it had 3G.
It does everything she needs it to do, read a few books, listen to a few songs and play games most of the time.

Next on the purchase list : Nook/Color, iPad2 and Kindle Touch X 2
maxim9691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #205
aspen806
aspen806 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Overall I like it but returned it because the screen size was a bit small for my liking. If it was offered in a bigger size I would try it again.
aspen806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #206
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen806 View Post
Overall I like it but returned it because the screen size was a bit small for my liking. If it was offered in a bigger size I would try it again.
Interesting.

So what's your ideal size? bigger would be 8" ... which is really close to 10" and then, it won't be a portable device anymore.

If you read Magazines or prefer big fonts, my advice would be get any 10" tablet, like Xoom, iPad or Samsung, even a Kindle DXG.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #207
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
Well, my affair with Fire has ended, went back to Best Buy today. I really tried to give it a go, but overall it's just not there. It's too heavy for its size, the screen resolution is too low, and the brightness cannot be lowered enough at night for a great reading device, and it's missing too many things to be a real tablet. I have my eyes set on the Galaxy Tab 7.7, as that seems to be a perfect size device for me, pending the price announcement...
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #208
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by polbit View Post
..... and it's missing too many things to be a real tablet. ........
$#()*_)Q%&)%&Q#*(&(_@#Q*()@#$()@$()&)%_)#%&(R
IT'S NOT A *()(&(^*)&*( GENERIC TABLET!
WAS NOT MARKETED OR SOLD AS ONE!
$#()*_)Q%&)%&Q#*(&(_@#Q*()@#$()@$()&)%_)#%&(R
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #209
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
Funny, when you go to the tablet store on Amazon, Fire is the first tablet there. It is a nice game Amazon is playing, on one hand trying to say its not a tablet, on the other trying to sell it to the same people that are shopping for other tablets...

Anyway, my whole point was that as an ebook reader, it is a dissapointing experience, and because it is not a proper tablet, it doesnt reedem itself with other qualities. For me. You might love it, and more power to you. There are many millions of people that love the iPad too, but I can't stand the screen. Doesn't make it a bad tablet, just a poor choice for me. So take a chill pill, maybe a nice glass of 25 year single malt.
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #210
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by polbit View Post
Funny, when you go to the tablet store on Amazon, Fire is the first tablet there. It is a nice game Amazon is playing, on one hand trying to say its not a tablet, on the other trying to sell it to the same people that are shopping for other tablets...

Anyway, my whole point was that as an ebook reader, it is a dissapointing experience, and because it is not a proper tablet, it doesnt reedem itself with other qualities. For me. You might love it, and more power to you. There are many millions of people that love the iPad too, but I can't stand the screen. Doesn't make it a bad tablet, just a poor choice for me. So take a chill pill, maybe a nice glass of 25 year single malt.
Mantano and Screen Filter fix the reading problem. Or you can use the Nook app or another reading app of your choice.

You're not stuck with the Kindle app on the Fire and the Screen Filter app allows you to darken screen to make it more comfortable for reading.

I prefer Mantano to read on. It has collections and many other features. I wish Amazon would make their app more fancy or at least add back the brightness control slider they removed.