Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Techonology is the best overall?
Reflective LCD 21 26.92%
E-Ink 57 73.08%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #91
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
6 pages in this thread alone -- arguing over something that every man (or woman) must decide for him or herself! I read a lot on LCD screens, I have had old PDAs with reflective screens. But when I have the option, it is e-ink for me. With a good reading light, of course! When it comes to my eyes, I do what feels best to me. The human eye is a complex organ. Age, inherited traits, how you treated them when you were young, where you live, the time of year, what you eat. All that impacts your vision. Nobody really knows what is good and apparently what is good for me is not necessarily true for the next person.

Don't listen to anyone, just try it out yourself.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #92
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
6 pages in this thread alone -- arguing over something that every man (or woman) must decide for him or herself! I read a lot on LCD screens, I have had old PDAs with reflective screens. But when I have the option, it is e-ink for me. With a good reading light, of course! When it comes to my eyes, I do what feels best to me. The human eye is a complex organ. Age, inherited traits, how you treated them when you were young, where you live, the time of year, what you eat. All that impacts your vision. Nobody really knows what is good and apparently what is good for me is not necessarily true for the next person.

Don't listen to anyone, just try it out yourself.
Hear! Hear!

However, there are always a few who think that if somebody dislikes what they love, they think they can declare very loudly: we are being discriminated!!! Their tiny brains cannot comprehend that majority might like something else, because "How dare they!? Majority is US!!!"
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #93
akira28
Nameless Being

The above statement clearly violates MR forum rule #1 which states the following:
1. Discuss Things Politely

Our members have developed a strong, constructive online community. To help maintain this friendly, supportive atmosphere, we ask that you follow these standards of politeness.

MobileRead is intended to be a family-safe and work-safe website. Please post accordingly.

Do attempt to state your point of view in a way that avoids misunderstanding. It would be helpful to distinguish between opinion and fact, and to word your post in a way that helps others to understand what you mean. Remember that we are an international community and not all members are posting in their first language.

When things get controversial please disagree with the opinion, not the person.

Don’t say, “You’re an idiot,” or “anyone who thinks that is crazy.” Instead, say, “I disagree,” or better still, “I disagree because…”

Try to understand what someone else is saying before you react. Because we are an international forum, we have a wide diversity of cultural backgrounds, traditions, and legal systems. Remember that other members may have different laws and practices. Also remember that humor often translates poorly across languages and cultures; try to be sensitive to others when you post, and tolerant of others when you read their posts.

A rude comment is still rude, even if you follow it with a smiley, “just kidding” or “I’m only joking” or “This is meant to be humorous.”

Deliberately provoking other members (also known as “trolling”) is prohibited. Members who post provocative or inflammatory posts will be warned. Persistent offenders may be banned. MobileRead reserves the right to limit discussion that is outside the realm of good taste, or uses foul or hateful language. We won’t tolerate any form of hate-speech.

Remember that you can use the “ignore” function to ignore a member whose posts irritate you.

Its a shame that some people are not capable of discussion without resorting to hurling personal insults at others who hold different views. It's more of a shame that the moderators encourage this behavior by not addressing it when it occurs.

Last edited by akira28; 04-28-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #94
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Yes, because your creepy witch hunt against people who answered the poll you made is really polite. Oh, wait, it's not.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #95
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
The above statement clearly violates MR forum rule #1
That's how I feel when my, personal, opinion on a particular subject is being insulted by being labelled a discrimination.
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #96
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Is it really so wrong to expect participants of a poll between 2 choices to actually know what both choices are and, heaven forbid, have experience with both of them?

Perhaps it wasn't clarified well enough early on...I think the guy just wanted informed opinions. Seems reasonable enough. Some people voting apparently don't even know what reflective LCD is; they just see LCD and think "backlight no bad evil eyestrain!" Not particularly helpful.

Addendum: All that said, I think perhaps the OP is a little on the defensive side, assuming that ownership is knowledge and complaining that people who vote against it don't own it...

Last edited by LDBoblo; 04-28-2010 at 12:27 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #97
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Is it really so wrong to expect participants of a poll between 2 choices to actually know what both choices are and, heaven forbid, have experience with both of them?
Yes, when it's not spelled out. It's creepy and intrusive to have the poll owner to actively root through people's profiles to see what devices they're currently claiming they have to berate them!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #98
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
That's how I feel when my, personal, opinion on a particular subject is being insulted by being labelled a discrimination.
No one did anything of the sort. What you are saying is a smoke screen for your desire to be able to insult anyone here with impunity. It was your own derogatory statement that may have labeled you as an e-ink bigot.

Your reasoning is faulty an your statements are hypocritical. On one hand you want your opinion heard, but on the other hand you treat people who voice a different opinion than yours with sarcasm and scorn. Yes, you have labeled yourself.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #99
astra
The Introvert

You just proved my point.
Thank you very much.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #100
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
You just proved my point.
Thank you very much.
Thanks for proving mine.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #101
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The above statement clearly violates MR forum rule #1 which states the following:

...~~~...

Its a shame that some people are not capable of discussion without resorting to hurling personal insults at others who hold different views. It's more of a shame that the moderators encourage this behavior by not addressing it when it occurs.
The thread has been dead for 12 days and you start it up again by complaining about a relatively innocuous post. What does this accomplish?

To add to the topic, I recently bought two jetBook Lites for my kids. I had a chance to use one and I decided that I prefer my 505 eInk screen because the jetBook Lite screen has too much of a glare problem. I'm sure I could get used to it with a little time but it does stand out in the short run.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #102
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The thread has been dead for 12 days and you start it up again by complaining about a relatively innocuous post. What does this accomplish?
dwanthy:

Just to set the record straight it was astra who renewed the personal insults on the 4/16. (Please note that 1. It was my intention not to engage with DawnFalcon again and 2. DawnFalcon and astra are apparently one in the same.) You and I have a different view on what is and what is not innocuous. I don't believe MR members should have to tolerate these types of abuses. Maybe some people would laugh them off but what does that accomplish? Aren't you better off asking DawnFalcon-astra why she/he/they initiated the attacks, continued pressing, and then renewed them out of the blue?

Quote:
To add to the topic, I recently bought two jetBook Lites for my kids. I had a chance to use one and I decided that I prefer my 505 eInk screen because the jetBook Lite screen has too much of a glare problem. I'm sure I could get used to it with a little time but it does stand out in the short run.
Thanks for your view.

Last edited by akira28; 04-29-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:45 AM   #103
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
Just to set the record straight it was astra who renewed the personal insults on the 4/16.
The record is that 12 days after this thread stopped you saw fit to re-engage by claiming offense from what one MR member said to another MR member.

There was no personal attack!

You quoted the rules,
Quote:
Deliberately provoking other members
Poking someone after 12 days is deliberately provoking. There just isn't anything to be gain by it.

I think you might want to consider...
Quote:
Remember that you can use the “ignore” function to ignore a member whose posts irritate you.
It is easy to do.

Quote:
Aren't you better off asking DawnFalcon-astra why she/he/they initiated the attacks, continued pressing, and then renewed them out of the blue?
The only member who "came out of the blue" is you.

There is a slogan/saying in the States, friends don't let friends drive drunk. I think the saying could reasonably be modified to say, friends don't let friends post off meds.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts in other threads.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:44 AM   #104
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
dwanthy:

Just to set the record straight it was astra who renewed the personal insults on the 4/16.
The hole you are digging for yourself is deeper and deeper.

Where is a personal insult in my post:
Quote:
However, there are always a few who think that if somebody dislikes what they love, they think they can declare very loudly: we are being discriminated!!! Their tiny brains cannot comprehend that majority might like something else, because "How dare they!? Majority is US!!!"
It is an insult. It insults people who behave the way I described. Unless you belong to the group, how can it insult you, even if we liked different types of screen?
Ah, right. You associate yourself with the group I mentioned, don't you?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #105
DawnFalcon
Banned

Quote:
2. DawnFalcon and astra are apparently one in the same.)
Moderators, please check this out. If we are, ban us. If they are not, ban akira. Thanks!