Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
aycn602
aycn602 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
For those looking to brighten up their kobo experience

Okay... so I was inspired by my usage of Go Launcher EX on my android phone to customize my kobo a little bit... i guess this is for those who are not aware of this app

Download link for the latest version / information on it http://droidsurf.blogspot.com/2011/1...7-android.html

Even tho we don't get the google market on our kobos we can still download widgets, themes etc quickly from the Go market so its not as inconvenient as I thought it might have been.

You can also customize it so that it works better with kobo vox... since the default settings are for phones you should spend some time playing around with the dock icons for example to replace "call" "message" etc buttons... I just changed them with folders that include different apps that I've sorted for myself.

Here are some quick starter tips:

1. Download the apk file
2. Follow the instructions and I'd recommend those who do not want to spend too much time to also download deskmigrator app that comes up in the instructions to copy over the apps to the Go Launcher platform
3. Press the middle physical touch button (the one for menu)
4. press preferences --> screen settings --> Grid size
5. I found 7x5 to be most compatible.... ie. its very similar or the same? as the normal launcher we've been using.
6. Effect settings for cool effects

play around with the settings to customize it the way you want it to be.

To go back to the original launcher, press the home button and press Launcher.

Some other tips:

1. You can long press widgets to resize them
2. you can delete/replace etc the dock apps by long pressing

Um this was just a quick intro... hopefully you will find it beneficial if you try it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20111201_100942.png
Views:	338
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	79512   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20111201_101013.png
Views:	298
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	79513   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20111201_101018.png
Views:	300
Size:	466.9 KB
ID:	79514   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20111201_101030.png
Views:	331
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	79515   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20111201_101035.png
Views:	283
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	79516   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20111201_101045.png
Views:	301
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	79517   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20111201_101052.png
Views:	264
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	79518   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20111201_101102.png
Views:	276
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	79519   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20111201_101112.png
Views:	284
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	79520   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20111201_101145.png
Views:	256
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	79521  
aycn602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
aycn602

oh yea

the pictures I have are with the sketch theme if you were interested.
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Cool, love customization! Will have to take a look at this...
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
True, Go Launcher is awesome. It can be used to bloat up as well as clean up the experience (I have it because I need only one homescreen and folders instead of a huge list of applications). And it's much more responsive. The devs are Chinese and Korean so sometimes you have to excuse their english :-)
The Go keyboard with tablet layout is also worth looking at.
Go Locker as well. I find that swiping all the way through to unlock is quite overkill. There are different solutions that require less swiping and have a much nicer appeal.

Last edited by hieronymos; 12-01-2011 at 01:13 PM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
aycn602

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
True, Go Launcher is awesome. It can be used to bloat up as well as clean up the experience (I have it because I need only one homescreen and folders instead of a huge list of applications). And it's much more responsive. The devs are Chinese and Korean so sometimes you have to excuse their english :-)
The Go keyboard with tablet layout is also worth looking at.
Go Locker as well. I find that swiping all the way through to unlock is quite overkill. There are different solutions that require less swiping and have a much nicer appeal.
yepp agreed! Go launcher really allows some manipulations to match some of your needs

and I've noticed also that its a little bit more responsive and faster too
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I find both Go and Launcher Pro to make the Kobo far more responsive, which a lot of reviews complain about. Zeam works well too, but I've found myself using Launcher Pro more often. LP is themable as well, but I find it less resource hungry than Go.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Hmmm call me paranoid. Someone is giving away an app that reviewers say is worth money and I notice that they mention they only need your phone number for auto dial or something.
So here's me thinking hmmmm what kind of hidden access could be built into that apps and what could they gain from it. LOL
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #8
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The reason it needs dial access is because a home screen replacement app needs to do everything launcher does - which, on a phone, includes making phone calls. They seem to make it back selling themes or add on applications.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Resource use??

Yes I know why it needs access to the phone number..... just saying
I am interested to try GO out does it eat up a lot of resources on our little Kobos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
The reason it needs dial access is because a home screen replacement app needs to do everything launcher does - which, on a phone, includes making phone calls. They seem to make it back selling themes or add on applications.
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

To the contrary, you'll see it's a little tad lighter than the original launcher.

Unless, of course, you bloat it up like a balloon :-)
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I found the most useful icon on the original dock was the "read now" one that opens up your last book in the kobo reader. I don't suppose there's any way to re-create that on the go launcher dock?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
aycn602

haven't been able to... i just decided to use the widget instead seeing as there is no difference in result!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
Haesslich
Fanatic

You could add a shortcut to it on the Dock by selecting the 'specific activity' option, IIRC. I haven't tried myself, though.