Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
dwatransit
dwatransit began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
PE falling off WIFI?

After running fine for, say, a couple hours, my PE disconnects from the network.

It will either say the WIFI is 'out of range' or just forever tries to 'get ip address from...'. I have 2 wireless networks, one secured and one open and it does this several times a day. One of the wireless routers is 10 feet away from the PE and my PC is connected fine.

The only solution I have found is to power-cyle tthe PE-- then it usually connects right way and stays connected for a few hours.

Anyone know of a solution? If nothing else, is there something faster than power-cycling? Nothing I've tried in Settings->Network Controls works.

The PE is running the Ermine update.

Thanks

p
dwatransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
This is a first.

One thing I should ask is how are your APs set up, where is your DHCP server?

It sounds as if your PE is sleeping the wireless and when it wakes up it asks for renewal of the ip address it had and the DHCP server sees it as a new request and offers a new ip when the PE expects the old one. That is the trying to get ip address you are seeing.

When you restart the PE it has forgotten the old ip address and so accepts what the DHCP server offers.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatransit View Post
After running fine for, say, a couple hours, my PE disconnects from the network...It will either say the WIFI is 'out of range' or just forever tries to 'get ip address from...'. I have 2 wireless networks, one secured and one open and it does this several times a day. One of the wireless routers is 10 feet away from the PE and my PC is connected fine.
Are both your networks on the same 'channel'?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
ManikMom
ManikMom began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I was having similar problems. After I put my PE into hibernation (or turned it off) and then brought it back up it could not connect to our wireless network again - got the "acquiring IP address" message but it never connected. I tried "forgetting" the network and then reconnecting, hard resets, etc. Finally, last night I set up a static IP address on the PE using the IP address that the router initially assigned. It seemed to work well last night, and I was able to get on the network again this am. I'm not sure yet if this will work in the long run. Maybe you could give this a try?
ManikMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Areka
Enthusiast
Areka can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Areka can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Areka can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Areka can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Areka can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Areka can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Areka can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Areka can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Areka can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Areka can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Areka can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: enTourage edge, 2 rooted pocket edge, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura HD
Question wifi problems

I'm having these problems right now and i neeeeed it to be solved!
Before, i have been able to use my PE with secured networks, no problems what so ever. It won't connect to an open network now! Sometimes the network is "not in range", sometimes i get the message it is available but PE won't connect. I don't have all the information to set up a static IP address.
Any other suggestions?
Areka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Richard443
Member Retired
Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket eDGe
I too have and continue to have the same problems - refer to the thread "PE - WiFi will not connect ( 1 2) " which gave me excellent help. I stoke the folkes that do give the help becasue they provide it whith no strings and I can only say thank you. Anyway, back to the thread. When the problem shows up on my PE there is no wifi icon shown at the top right of my screen this is what I do to get connected again.
1. Click settings
2. Click Network Controls
3. Click Wi-Fi settings
4. In my case I will have same network name displayed twice, one pasworded and the other open.Lets call them ABCD.
a. I click on the lowest ABDC and select "Forget Network"
b. As fast as I can go I go to the remaining ABCD and click on it. I then select "Connect to Network." Usually I then get connected.

If I am not fixed, I power down and startup again.
Notes - the first ABCD is an open open network (the first one that I click and selected "forget network." The second ABCD, at the top of the list, is WAP passworded.

The problem, as I see it, is that the "Forget Network" is not the same as "delete network" and I don't kow how to get into the files to delete one of the two ABCDs.

Richard

Last edited by Richard443; 07-24-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Clarified network name.
Richard443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Sorry I can't help more but I don't have a PE only the EE.

As mine stands I have 15 secured networks set up so that I can connect at any clients. They connect with out problems because they can.

I just opened Wi-Fi Settings and it found 5 more networks from local houses, one was unsecured - (I know who it is and keep telling them they should secure it) and as a test I disconnected from my network and connected to theirs, had a look at what they were doing and left them a message about securing the Wi-Fi. I then dropped the link and it immediately reconnected to my network.

As yet I haven't had to delete a connection but if I move out of range all those that I haven't setup drop off the list.

I also have 3 APs that are setup to give full coverage at work and thr EE switches between them without problems - they are on different channels and have different SSIDs, I don't know if this makes any difference, most of those round me st the moment are all on the same channel and they wonder why they have degraded speeds.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
dwatransit
dwatransit began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Until I read these replies I didn't realize that routers had channels... changing the channel on one of the routers helped a bit.

I also managed to brick my secured router for several days and just now got it back working. While researching all this I learned about DCHP reservations, so set that up instead of messing with static ips.

A few hours after my original post I saw the thread about the $100 Staples coupon and ran out and grabbed an Iconia A500. It uses Honeycomb 3.1 and actually had the same problem only worse--many Acer owners reporting this.

I think the DCHP reservations work around will fix it for both the Acer and the PE.
dwatransit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi