Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
MelancholyTea
MelancholyTea began at the beginning.

PDFs in the Reader

I have a lot of Word files that I would like to convert to PDF (not interested in RTF) to view on my Reader. I'm having some trouble on figuring out the best way to set up the files though. Does anyone know if PDF bookmarks work in the Reader? I can't seem to get them to, but I could be doing something wrong. I basically want a way to jump around in the PDF (it's pretty big!). I know I can make links in the PDF, but I was thinking more like a table of contents.

Any other recommendations in word-->PDF-->reader conversions? Any special tricks I should know if? I've hunted around here for some recommendations and I've found a few good ones. Thanks!

--Jane
MelancholyTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelancholyTea
Does anyone know if PDF bookmarks work in the Reader?

Any other recommendations in word-->PDF-->reader conversions? Any special tricks I should know if? I've hunted around here for some recommendations and I've found a few good ones. Thanks!

--Jane
- Well, a linked table of contents seems to be possible, but I'm not sure that's what you are asking. See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=contents
you might post a question for Satori if what he's doing wasn't obvious (it's not to me, since I don't have any PDF creation tools)

- This might be of some use, too:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=contents

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #3
Teresita3
Teresita3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
PDF --> Reader tips

I don't have any tips at this time, but I will be figuring out some of the same questions shortly. I'm interested in working with a large set of public domain and hymnal sheet music content in my Sony Reader. Ultimately, I'll need indices, search, etc. So I'm interested in what you figure out and will share what I figure out. Thanks!
Teresita3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:02 AM   #4
sartori
Connoisseur
sartori began at the beginning.

I have two ways of doing what I think you are talking about.

1) The first time I did this I exported my pdf from InDesign then used Acrobat Pro to manually add the links to the file. This takes a while but you have total control over the links.

2) Using word - make sure each chapter heading has the same text formatting applied to it. Then click where you want the table of contents to appear (usually at the start of the document) then click Insert->Reference->Index and Tables.

Select the Table of Contents tab then OK.

Check that the TOC now contains all of the items you want to link to - if it doesn't - go back and check your text formatting.

Finally go to Adobe PDF->Convert To Adobe PDF and continue with the default settings.

I'm not sure if other PDF export programs work but I have no problems with Acrobat Pro. I hope it does work with less expensive options because I doubt it's worth the cost to most people to purchase Acrobat Pro.

Sartori
sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
jgbrut
jgbrut began at the beginning.

I have a suggestion: use a smaller paper size

I have found that the paper size of 4x6 is the best format for the documents in either PDF or RTF. and the documents in RTF read better becasue of bigger higher contast fonts can be used. This leads to more page flipping though. This assumes that the content is mainly text.
jgbrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I agree with jgbrut. If the content is mainly text and you don't care about exact layout, stick with RTF. It just looks better on the Reader screen.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Rather a lot less trouble too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote