Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #181
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Amazon has had a sticky announcing library lending in the US "later this year" since April 20th. They un-stickied it today. It may mean nothing but I have a hunch an announcement will be made very shortly.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #182
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Interesting - I've been assuming that they would announce/introduce library lending in connection with their new tablet, so I wonder if there will be an official announcement concerning the tablet, too.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #183
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
The wait is killing me!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #184
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Overdrive shows Kindle listed on the approved list as "Beta" and epub and pdf books available for use. Amazon's "Help" page says it's active. One catch (there's always a catch) is that books can't be wirelessly downloaded by 3G, only Wi-Fi. Anyone with a K1 or K2 will have to sideload library books. My library site hasn't updated with a Kindle link yet...has anyone else's?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #185
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Oops... I tried checking out a book but apparently there's no support for Adobe DRMed book. Well, at least I picked something that didn't have a waiting list.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #186
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Oops... I tried checking out a book but apparently there's no support for Adobe DRMed book. Well, at least I picked something that didn't have a waiting list.
It's supposed to have a Kindle link to kick you over to Amazon to download the book. There's no link on my library's page yet. I suppose this will be ironed out in a day or so.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #187
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Kindle Book (BETA) is now available at the King County Library System.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #188
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I knew that there would be a link to Amazon, but I wasn't sure WHEN it would appear. "OK... maybe... NOW. Ok, no... maybe... NOW. Alright no link. OK... last screen... checking out... and... now? Oh. hmm. Guess not."

It'll be interesting to see if I can download to the Kindle once the link has presumably appeared in the next few days.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #189
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Overdrive shows Kindle listed on the approved list as "Beta" and epub and pdf books available for use. Amazon's "Help" page says it's active. One catch (there's always a catch) is that books can't be wirelessly downloaded by 3G, only Wi-Fi. Anyone with a K1 or K2 will have to sideload library books. My library site hasn't updated with a Kindle link yet...has anyone else's?
Also apparently you have to go to 'Manage Your Kindle' to view status of your loan—no way to do it on Kindle itself (apart from using its web browser to go to MYK). I suppose this is the same with P2P loans, but still, it would be nice if this information were more accessible. Not that I'm complaining...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #190
stickybuns
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Also apparently you have to go to 'Manage Your Kindle' to view status of your loan—no way to do it on Kindle itself (apart from using its web browser to go to MYK). I suppose this is the same with P2P loans, but still, it would be nice if this information were more accessible. Not that I'm complaining...
What about using the Kindle's web browser to access the "manage your kindle" page?

A built in library management system would be nice... hopefully, something will come with the next firmware update.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #191
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Just downloaded a book from the Seattle Public Library to my Kindle. Nice and easy; and no wires.

Now, the new Sony reader promises the ability to download library books directly from the device without a computer. Will the Kindle be able to do the same thing?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #192
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm, this is interesting. The Seattle Public Library shows 28,973 ebooks in its collection. When you click on the Kindle link, only 22,480 ebooks are available. Does that mean 6,493 ebooks can't be downloaded to the Kindle?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #193
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Just downloaded a book from the Seattle Public Library to my Kindle. Nice and easy; and no wires.

Now, the new Sony reader promises the ability to download library books directly from the device without a computer. Will the Kindle be able to do the same thing?
You can if you don't mind using the Kindle's web browser to access your library to check out books.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #194
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
You can if you don't mind using the Kindle's web browser to access your library to check out books.
Surfing the net on the Kindle is a painful experience and something I don't really want to do again.

I'm hoping Amazon matches Sony on this.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #195
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Surfing the net on the Kindle is a painful experience and something I don't really want to do again.

I'm hoping Amazon matches Sony on this.
The procedure seems to be:

1) Check out book from library &
2) fulfill from Amazon

I don't see how that can be done without using a browser from somewhere.