Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #61
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I usually buy in quantities, even ebooks. I like having them on my reader, ready to be opened. Everyone has their own buying habits. A hundred pounds still sounds fine to me, and more, why not? It's not like you spend that amount every day.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #62
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Have to admit that's about how much I spent this morning, but for me that was exceptional but did clear my wish list a lot cheaper than any alternatives.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #63
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I usually buy a book at a time, but no, $100 isn't particularly much overall, I just forgot to do the mental conversion from $ to £
That amount (in £) is like a nice, but not especially expensive, pair of shoes

$100 for 8 books is rather cheap, and if I wanted to buy 8 books at one time, why not? All in all, it's of course nice to know they had their system set-up for detecting fraud, but still, it was sort of upsetting. I felt almost like a criminal.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #64
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Just bought 8 ebooks. That the most I ever bought in one go, and it not pay day either
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #65
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
All in all, it's of course nice to know they had their system set-up for detecting fraud, but still, it was sort of upsetting. I felt almost like a criminal.
Surely it would be better trying to contact you for confirmation, rather than just blocking you without warning... That kind of sends the message that being a good customer is actually punished
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #66
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Well I just treated myself to 10 of the Abbadon books. At £25 it was to good to resist. Hopefully it will give Smiths the incentive to keep prices down.
Of course they have all been liberated.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #67
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I love a sale! I bought 3, 2 of Adrain Tchiakovsky's Empire of Black and Gold series and the first in The Painted Man series by Peter Brett.

As ChristopherTD says:
Fortunately (for me) their website is awkward to navigate so I can't find anything more that I want just now...

...and how! I emailed their Customer Service just before Christmas after I'd been trying to find a particular book:

I've just tried to find a particular ebook on your website. This is not the first time I've had problems finding anything on your site, so thought I'd share the experience on this occasion!

I wanted to see if you had 'Devil's Brood' by Sharon Kay PENMAN.

I first seached on Devil's Brood and specified 'Title'. This produced 168 hits.

Top of this list was:
Inflectional Morphology
by Gregory T. Stump

No.2 was :
The Brooding Frenchman's Proposal
by Rebecca Winters

....followed by 17 pages of hits, none of which was 'Devil's Brood' [trust me, I looked through them all].

I then searched on 'Sharon Kay Penman' and specified 'Creator'. This produced 500 hits, including such delights as :

Allergy and Allergic Diseases
by A. Barry Kay
Bargaining with the Billionaire
by Robyn Donald
Colloquial Russian 2
The Next Step in Language Learning
by Svetlana Le Fleming

and my personal favourite:

Celiac Disease
A Guide to Living with Gluten Intolerance
by Sylvia Llewelyn Bower

The Devil's Brood, by Sharon Kay Penman may well have been amongst the 500 but, frankly, I lost the will to live after scrolling through the first 10 pages. So WH Smith lost a sale.....again!

I suppose I was a bit flippant but their search engine is torture! Needless to say, their reply was so bland it seemed to be computer generated. Sigh.
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #68
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Surely it would be better trying to contact you for confirmation, rather than just blocking you without warning... That kind of sends the message that being a good customer is actually punished
You'd def think so, especially as I've had an account there ages with previous purchases so they have some history to use to judge it with. I'd much rather an error message saying what happened than my bookshelf going blank! It's all back now though and I still have my wheel of time pre orders in at a nice price

really hope it does show them that the prices are ridiculous though, not sure how much say the publisher has with prices...
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #69
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
[snipped for brevity]
I suppose I was a bit flippant but their search engine is torture! Needless to say, their reply was so bland it seemed to be computer generated. Sigh.
Flippant maybe - but also really, really funny I think you were very patient to find these search results.

BTW, doesn't "patient" in latin mean someone who suffers?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:00 AM   #70
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
The sale still seems to be running. I may steel myself for some more search torture in search of bargains. Someone mentioned Adrian Tchaicovsky above and so I had to go and buy those.

Sigh.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #71
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Oops - I ordered a few more books this mornng. No Problems. Then I tried to order 3 more, and WHAM. I have obviously tripped over their "too many purchases" threshold and now my account is locked.

Hopefully they will unlock my account soon so I can at least download the books I paid for this morning! eBook vendors do so love to shoot themselves in the foot every chance they get...
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #72
justlizz
Connoisseur
justlizz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Simond I had the same trouble with books on board and I was paying with paypal it took me 3 emails to be able to download but they had my money from paypal the instant I paid
lizz
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #73
molesm
Enthusiast
molesm began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
They seem to have now ended the 50% off offer and now have a 30% off offer, I just found out about it today and was luck to get the 50% of by mere hours, in some ways wish I had bought more
molesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #74
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
... I suppose I was a bit flippant but their search engine is torture! Needless to say, their reply was so bland it seemed to be computer generated. Sigh.
I think your message will have grabbed their attention.

Sometimes a useful method is the Google site search; although in this case

site:ebooks.whsmith.co.uk penman

only finds a bit of puffery she wrote for a Steve Berry book.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #75
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Sparrow, thanks for that search tip - I hadn't thought to do it that way!

I tried to find WH Smith's reply to my little winge but couldn't.....I didn't save it, unfortunately. Suffice to say whoever wrote it, assuming they were an actual human, had a severe sense of humour failure and couldn't really see what my problem was! 'Nuff said......
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote