Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 06-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Hanlin V8 HTML viewer

Hi!

I've been talking to TaKir and LVD about the Hanlin V8 (russian version) and have managed to collect some information.

The newest test we did, was to take a HTML file that was "ripped" from a PDF. The PDf file was ok, the HTML looked fine on my screen.
Now I asked TaKir to try it on his V8 (please keep in mind that the firmware he's using is still beta).
The resulting screenshots are put up next to shots of the very same HTML with the very same limitations/formatting on my PDA (mobipocket reader).
For comparison I also put up a screenshot of the file as .txt (ripped from same PDF using PDFtoTXT. The HTML was ripped using PDFtoHTML.

As you can see, the performance of both Hanlin and the PDA are far from perfect.
Additionally, you can get some impression of how the note-taking works on the Hanlin using the slave-display. This feature actually looks good...^^

Here come the pictures (I hope it works...first time...)

www.awde-sign.de/mobileread/V8html.jpg
www.awde-sign.de/mobileread/V8html2.jpg
www.awde-sign.de/mobileread/html.jpg
www.awde-sign.de/mobileread/txt.jpg
www.awde-sign.de/mobileread/notes1.jpg
www.awde-sign.de/mobileread/notes2.jpg

Something that deeply worries me is the amount of "dirt" from previous screen-refreshes that is visible ont he screen of the V8 TaKir owns. I thought new eink screens don't have these "ghost" images, but all the screens i've seen so far contain a lot of these and I find them fairly obtrusive, even seen on photographs. I could imagine really hating them in "real-life".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	html.jpg
Views:	1333
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1149   Click image for larger version

Name:	txt.jpg
Views:	1177
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1150   Click image for larger version

Name:	notes1.jpg
Views:	1253
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1151   Click image for larger version

Name:	notes2.jpg
Views:	1278
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1152   Click image for larger version

Name:	V8html.jpg
Views:	1396
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1153   Click image for larger version

Name:	V8html2.jpg
Views:	1327
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1154  

Last edited by CommanderROR; 06-19-2006 at 04:36 PM.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
bshort
Enthusiast
bshort began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 700p
CommanderROR, TaKir, LVD,

Thank you for posting these screenshots!

It looks like the HTML file you tested has hard line breaks, right? Have you tried displaying a text file with only line breaks between paragraphs?

Thanks,
-Brian
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert