Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Free book is suddenly $9.99

Now and then I search the free books. Seldom do I keep one after finishing the sample, but a couple I did find good.

The other day (using the "-domain" to remove the old classics) I found one titled "The Whiskey Rebels: A Novel" by David Liss which sounded good. I got the sample, and about half way through that, realized I wanted the whole book.

I did a search of it to be sure, and it still was free, so downloaded the full book to the Kindle. Then, I got the email from Amazon stating the cost was $9.99!

I called Amazon, and they checked and found it was that price, even though I explained what I had done before getting it to be sure it was still free. They were kind enough to give me a credit, which is typical of their good customer relations.

Just now I went to check the free books again. It was still there among all the other free books before and after it, but it had the $9.99 price.

So, what do they do, list them as free until somebody gets one, and then immediately chage it to $9.99?

The whole thing is a bit weird, but can't complain as still got it at no cost with the credit, but something is goofy.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
The whole thing is a bit weird, but can't complain as still got it at no cost with the credit, but something is goofy.
Apparently so. I believe that set of free books were to remain so until the end of February.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
That is weird.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
That's really strange! I'm glad you managed to get the credit and hope you enjoy it - it's a great book.

I got them all when they were first announced, but that's still the only one showing up with a price for me and I know it's supposed to be free through the end of the month. Sounds like somebody goofed.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The other day (using the "-domain" to remove the old classics) I found one titled "The Whiskey Rebels: A Novel" by David Liss which sounded good. I got the sample, and about half way through that, realized I wanted the whole book.
I don't understand. Why, if the book was free did you just not "buy" it at that time?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Sounds rather strange to me, probably a screw up on their end.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
Kindleist
Kindleist began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I've heard of a few other people having this problem, but Amazon CS seem to be on top of it... they usually do give you a refund if the screw up is their fault.
Kindleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't understand. Why, if the book was free did you just not "buy" it at that time?

BOb
I can't speak for them, but I only try to download free books that I actually think I'll read. My digital bookshelf is like my actual bookshelf, I try to read everything I have.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't understand. Why, if the book was free did you just not "buy" it at that time? BOb
Well, young fella', when you get to be my age (81) you'll probably find you do goofy things now and then.

I always get the sample first, so when I saw that book, clicked on that out of habit, not having any idea that the price would be boosted. Now I know! From now on, any free book will "buy" it immediately.

That is, if I can remember!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
...The other day (using the "-domain" to remove the old classics) ...
Will you explain that trick in a little more detail please?
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I can't speak for them, but I only try to download free books that I actually think I'll read. My digital bookshelf is like my actual bookshelf, I try to read everything I have.
Understood. However, if you think you MIGHT want to read it and it is free, I would just buy it rather than get a sample.

BOb
Old 02-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, young fella', when you get to be my age (81) you'll probably find you do goofy things now and then. !
Probably. I hope I am as hip at 81 as you obviously are. Heck, I hope I make it anywhere close to that age.

BOb
Old 02-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Understood. However, if you think you MIGHT want to read it and it is free, I would just buy it rather than get a sample.

BOb
I guess so. But I don't get samples so I don't know
Old 02-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Will you explain that trick in a little more detail please?
Sure. When you go the list of books, and choose "From low to high" you will see all the free ones first, but now they are loaded with all the public domain books too, so far too much to scroll through to find latest books.

When that list appears, go up to the search box and type in "-domain" and the public domain ones vanish, leaving just the lately-published Kindle books.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Some of the books that amazon puts out for free are only for a limited time. Whiskey Rebels was only free for January.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote