Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
FlexUser
FlexUser began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Word breaks

I have serious problems with word breaks on a Sony PRS-T2. I reported this on the Sony forums and all they could do is sending me to the support account. Sony support after months of e-mails and sending screenshots, book titles say that they cannot reproduce.

They say "It might be caused by the way you place the books on the e-reader". I am using Calibre. Great tool, I donated money to support the development. Could there be something wrong the way Calibre places books on the e-reader?

They asked me to send it to a support center or discuss with the vendor. I did the last and they were flabbergasted. Never seen or heard of this. They gave me a brand new PRS-T3 to test with. I placed my books on it and the same problems are there.

The books look OK when reading inside Calibre.

I enclose photos made from the Sony e-reader on a couple of pages with failures.

Anyone else seeing bad word breaks? Anyone that can comment on "Maybe there is something wrong the way you place the books on the e-reader"?
Attached Files
File Type: zip octoberlijst voorbeelden calibre.zip (5.25 MB, 149 views)
FlexUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Looking at those screenshots, I dont see what is to be flabbergasted about? It looks like normal hyphenation for long words at the end of a line. Of course since I cannot read DUtch?, I dont know if the hyphenation is correct or not. Probably the files you are viewing have soft hyphens embedded causing the hyphenation.

In any case if you want to determine if calibre is causing hyphenation, simply copy one of those books to the reader without using calibre and see what happens.

When copying books to the reader all calibre does is update their metadata. The only way that can cause hyphenation is if it sets the language metadata and the reader then reads that and turns on hyphenation. Which you can prevent by clearing the language field in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Yes, the hypenation is incorrect. Hyphenation in Dutch should be done only on syllable breaks, and these examples break words in the middle of syllables.

I think the problem is that the hyphenation routine used in the Sony or in any other Adobe-based reader is lousy. I've seen this in other readers as well. It's not about Calibre, it's not about soft hyphens in the book, it's all about the software on the reader. In the end it's probably up to Adobe to do something about this.

I've seen this behavior in many books on several different readers. If the vendor says they cannot reproduce this they are not really trying.

Some readers have an option to turn off hyphenation. That's the only solution I can think of.

Last edited by Zetmolm; 03-22-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:16 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post

I think the problem is that the hyphenation routine used in the Sony or in any other Adobe-based reader is lousy. I've seen this in other readers as well. It's not about Calibre, it's not about soft hyphens in the book, it's all about the software on the reader. In the end it's probably up to Adobe to do something about this.
I'm sure you're right. I have the same problem with hyphenation with my T3 with English language books. In fact if I could turn hyphenation off I would. The costs far outweigh the benefits.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:18 AM   #5
FlexUser

@Kovid: Thanks for replying and confirming that it is not Calibre that is doing something wrong as Sony suggests.

About flabbergasted I enclose another screenshot from the PRS-T2. The problem is also discussed at the Sony forums (http://community.sony.nl/t5/eReading...T2/td-p/359582). This problem is repaired by a firmware update after half a year of complaining and the Dutch consumers authority (Consumentenbond) contacting Sony. At that time I did not have Calibre yet (great software, thanks).

@Alex: Thanks for letting me know I didn't miss an option.

@Zetmolm: I did inform Sony - with screenshots - that the same pages look good in Calibre and bad in Digital Editions but Sony claims that they cannot reproduce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	text off screen.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	120679  
Advert
Old 03-23-2014, 02:29 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'm sure you're right. I have the same problem with hyphenation with my T3 with English language books. In fact if I could turn hyphenation off I would. The costs far outweigh the benefits.
you can turn hyphenation off by adding a line to the book's CSS - see threads on sony forum. You can use modify epub + extra css in calibre prefs, or do an epub to epub convert to get that code into each book

OP: The T3 uses a newer version of ADE renderer which hyphenates (badly and annoyingly) in English, the T2 & earlier models' renderer does not hyphenate at all in English.

the muppets who work for what Sony laughingly call "customer support" are clueless about their own products, as you've discovered.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:05 AM   #7
FlexUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
you can turn hyphenation off by adding a line to the book's CSS - see threads on sony forum. You can use modify epub + extra css in calibre prefs, or do an epub to epub convert to get that code into each book
While you are most likely right WHY, WHY do I need to modify the epub documents to be able to read them? That should be the responsibility of Sony (with/without the support by Adobe).
Old 03-23-2014, 04:25 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
because the words "responsibility" & Sony don't work in the same sentence

abobe - to be fair - have made hyphenation controllable, though they don't bother to document it, so you need forums like this to learn the commands from.

it' s Sony who have not bothered with a user preference, so you have to do it before side-loading the book - and if the book is DRM'd then you can't do it al all.

and as Sony are quitting the e-read market they won't ever fix it for you- .

So use the given workaround. you need to add this to your CSS:
body {adobe-hyphenate: none;}
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:32 AM   #9
FlexUser

Quote:
if the book is DRM'd then you can't do it al all
I do have DRM books in my collection.

Quote:
and as Sony are quitting the e-read market they won't ever fix it for you- .
Thanks, I now know what to do; return the machine and get my money back. I don't see it being my job to fix this Sony / Adobe problem.

I've heard that the Kobe Glow is a much better e-reader. Sadly the vendor does not sell these and can't offer a swap. But they said to return the money if I was still not satisfied.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexUser View Post

Thanks, I now know what to do; return the machine and get my money back. I don't see it being my job to fix this Sony / Adobe problem.
I think you'll find that hyphenation on a Kobo is just as bad - both Kobo and Sony use Adobe. If I could turn hyphenation off from my Kobo Touch ereader I would - the costs outweigh the benefits.

In my opinion it's an Adobe problem - as shown by the CSS fix.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:42 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I think you'll find that hyphenation on a Kobo is just as bad - both Kobo and Sony use Adobe. If I could turn hyphenation off from my Kobo Touch ereader I would - the costs outweigh the benefits.
You are probably right, but it can also depend on the hyphenation dictionary used. There were a lot of complaints for various languages at one point. Kobo changed the hyphenation dictionary and most of the complaints went away. I'm pretty sure Dutch was one that was fixed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-t3, prst-t2, sony, wordbreaks