Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Help! How to get back to a clean device?

This morning, I connected my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 to my computer to transfer a few files. Upon copying some 600kb of HTML files to the device, the attempt hung. I could not cancel, I could not eject the drives, I just had a spinning circle that wouldn't quit.

I couldn't disconnect from the player side either.

I shut down the computer, disconnected the device, and upon restart, had an "SD card damaged" message.

The catch is that I don't know for sure what is damaged, whether it is the external SD card (Lexar 16GB) or the internal SD card.

The external SD card showed as not mounted. I removed it from the device, but a lot of my apps no longer worked. I reinserted it in the device, it mounted and things seemed OK, but then attempting to access a file folder on it made ES Explorer hang. Next thing I knew, the external SD card was unmounted again.

I mounted the card again, and things seem to be working, but I'm concerned. And I don't understand why if I remove the card so many apps stop working. Some might reference data on the card (books, music, video), but most would not. The apps that don't work when the external card is unmounted are also those apps that were moved to the internal SD card memory.

I am wondering if I should attempt to wipe the device, get back to a working device with no memory card installed and then see what happens.

Only, I don't know how to go about it! Should I uninstall all the downloaded apps first?

Should I attempt to wipe/format the internal SD card.

Should I do a factory reset?

Or all of the above? (If this is the answer, is there a particular order to doing it?)

Help!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I don't know your unit and these are just some things to consider. If you are going to do this I don't think any order is needed, just format the sd card (external) and format the internal one, I think on most tablets there is a place in settings then return the unit to factory in settings.

On the other hand, are you sure you know which card is external and which is internal? Some androids it isn't clear unless they are labeled as what they are in explorer. I have a couple older ones I can never remember which is which due to no labels.

I've also read that though the option of moving apps around is present, it doesn't always work that well.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert