Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Unhappy Microsoft Reader Activation Server?

Hey guys. I was hoping someone could double check Microsoft's Reader Activation server for me please? I had to adjust some partitions on my HDD and needed to reinstall Windows. As a result I needed to reinstall the Microsoft Reader. Unfortunately everytime I've tried to activate the program with Microsoft's server I receive the following error:

Quote:
Activation Error

Microsoft Activation Server is unavailable
Microsoft Activation Server is offline for regular maintenance or upgrade, or it may have technical difficulties now. Please try activating again later.

I realize that the above error claims that the site may be down for "maintenance or upgrade", but it has been this way for several days. Thanks for any information or help you can provide. -Abisha

Last edited by Abisha; 02-23-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you going to this address: http://das.microsoft.com/activate/en/activate.asp?
Seems to respond OK but my pc is already activated so I couldn't try it any further.
There's an FAQ here and some troubleshooting stuff: http://www.microsoft.com/reader/info/activation.aspx

Good luck.
bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Yes, that is the address. Unfortunately I'm still receiving the same error. (/start sarcasm) So I guess it looks like another win for the DRM team. I can't activate my device so I'm unable to read my books. I guess that means I'll have to re-purchase every book all over again. "PlaysForSure" nightmares anyone?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Billydog
Billydog began at the beginning.

Device: Sont Ereader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abisha View Post
Hey guys. I was hoping someone could double check Microsoft's Reader Activation server for me please? I had to adjust some partitions on my HDD and needed to reinstall Windows. As a result I needed to reinstall the Microsoft Reader. Unfortunately everytime I've tried to activate the program with Microsoft's server I receive the following error:

I realize that the above error claims that the site may be down for "maintenance or upgrade", but it has been this way for several days. Thanks for any information or help you can provide. -Abisha
I am having the very same problem with a new PC. Thought it was something to do with my setting but good to hear the problem does seem to be with the server.
Billydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
About every six months my copy of MS LIT wants to be activated. The last time I received the messages you spoke of. About an hour later it did activate successfully. All other readers (Sony, Mobipocket, and eReader [modern version of PalmDoc])stayed active and have never given me a moment's pause.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I was hoing that someone would have an answer as well. I have been trying to activate for 3 days now....and I get the same message....arrrr.
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
I was hoing that someone would have an answer as well. I have been trying to activate for 3 days now....and I get the same message....arrrr.
Are you running some type of firewall or through some proxy server?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
... Or are you on Vista ? If so, you need to open your browser as Administrator (right click, and Run as ...), then go to the activation page, it should do the trick...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
Abisha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Are you running some type of firewall or through some proxy server?

BOb
I shared the same concern. My first response to the error I received was to completely disable every component of my security suite, Kaspersky in my case. Beyond that I really can't think of anything else I can do.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I shared the same concern. My first response to the error I received was to completely disable every component of my security suite, Kaspersky in my case. Beyond that I really can't think of anything else I can do.
Have you called MS support?

BOb
Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Abisha
Connoisseur

Update: I booted up my XP partition and tried on that system, no luck there either. As for contacting M$FT support, I wasn't able to find any contact information on the reader website. Their FAQ page was pretty useless as well.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Update: I booted up my XP partition and tried on that system, no luck there either. As for contacting M$FT support, I wasn't able to find any contact information on the reader website. Their FAQ page was pretty useless as well.

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=2748

BOb
Old 02-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My copy of MS Reader no longer displays DRM infected eBooks. But, the good news is that I just use ConvertLIT to remove the DRM and I can then use MS Reader to view what I just purchased.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
In my past struggles with getting activation to work on different devices I've had great luck e-mailing Christine on the Microsoft Reader Team (msreadergirl@comcast.net). Not sure if this e-mail is still legitimate but it was a few years ago.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
Abisha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Thank you for the link. I've just completed the process. Hopefully I'll here something one way or the other soon.